Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
If I meant disorder, I’d stand by it. I certainly wouldn’t retract it because someone like you found it uncomfortable.

Now, if you wish to carry on acting like a child please take it to the bear pit, there’s nobody there but that never stopped you arguing before. Nobody what this nonsense on the main board.

Peace. Out.

I believe hoping for street anarchy is desperate, and extremely unhealthy.

Unless you need a new telly, mob rule is dangerous.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
One aspect of the current contest which hasn't been mentioned is Rishi Sunak's proposal to create several "charter cities" around the UK. For those unfamiliar with what they are;

"A charter city is a type of city in which a guarantor from a developed country would create a city within a developing host country. The guarantor would administer the region, with the power to create their own laws, judiciary, and immigration policy outside of the control of the host country."

So effectively creating small enclaves of the UK where rich people get to set the laws, appoint their own judges and all sorts of other things. Which is...sub-optimal.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
One aspect of the current contest which hasn't been mentioned is Rishi Sunak's proposal to create several "charter cities" around the UK. For those unfamiliar with what they are;

"A charter city is a type of city in which a guarantor from a developed country would create a city within a developing host country. The guarantor would administer the region, with the power to create their own laws, judiciary, and immigration policy outside of the control of the host country."

So effectively creating small enclaves of the UK where rich people get to set the laws, appoint their own judges and all sorts of other things. Which is...sub-optimal.

It’s worrying. However, it has been discussed at length quite a few pages back.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think ‘Don’t believe a word’ fits pretty accurately too - and some people STILL DONT GET IT!

It’s because it doesn’t scan very well.
You’d really want something that has the “in” at the end of “Thin” and not the “Thi” at the start.

For example;

Bin Lizzy
Sin Lizzy
Twin Lizzy

Those would work (not that they describe her but you know what I mean)

“Thick Lizzy” just doesn’t scan. That’s why it has not caught on.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

as a historian, did you check your source? as far as i could tell Sunak made a pledge on supporting freeports and this got changed to charter city by others. bit like the Equalities Act review, things are being reported by social media, even regular media, that isnt actually said. Truss is also in favour of "investment zones" instead, much nice sounding. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/...-levelling-up-at-heart-of-her-pitch-qmwwk6v5f

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
as a historian, did you check your source? as far as i could tell Sunak made a pledge on supporting freeports and this got changed to charter city by others. bit like the Equalities Act review, things are being reported by social media, even regular media, that isnt actually said.

I’m not sure why you keep questioning this. Sunak is spearheading the Charter cities plan for the U.K.
He has been very vocal on the matter for a very long time and is working closely with free market think tanks like the Institute for Economic Affairs (IEA), the Adam Smith Institute and the Taxpayers’ Alliance (TA) to make them a reality.

As for Freeports, Rishi will be shocked when he finds out Freeports are allowed in the EU - about 80 of them are based in EU countries - and he’ll be gutted when he finds out as a member of the trading bloc, the UK had 7 of them :facepalm::wrong:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I’m not sure why you keep questioning this. Sunak is spearheading the Charter cities plan for the U.K.
He has been very vocal on the matter for a very long time and is working closely with free market think tanks like the Institute for Economic Affairs (IEA), the Adam Smith Institute and the Taxpayers’ Alliance (TA) to make them a reality.

As for Freeports, Rishi will be shocked when he finds out Freeports are allowed in the EU - about 80 of them are based in EU countries - and he’ll be gutted when he finds out as a member of the trading bloc the UK had 7 of them :facepalm::wrong:

so there would be a lot of references to find right? but my google woo fails, lots of others associating him to the idea though, mostly through one of his uni lecturers it seems.

Last edited:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
so there would be a lot of references to find right? but my google woo fails, lots of others associating him to the idea though, mostly through one of his uni lecturers it seems.

There was quite a few articles about it last year. I recall reading about it in The Week. There have also been a couple of radio shows where the topic came up. I heard them.

While it’s obviously wise to question Twitter etc, I think it’s fairly well established that he is actively working towards establishing Charter cities. Well, I thought it was :)

Very possible that he has done a Google clean so it doesn’t appear. Mind you, he doesn’t t seem to mind his other controversial ideas being available for all to see.

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
You’d really want something that has the “in” at the end of “Thin” and not the “Thi” at the start.

For example;

Bin Lizzy
Sin Lizzy
Twin Lizzy

I wasn’t clear - apologies. My comment of ‘some people still don’t get it’ was referring to the fact that there are obviously still many in UK who fail to recognize this bunch of dangerous charlatans masquerading as a government!

I was attempting to carry on the Thin Lizzy song reference that HWT was alluding to by using ‘Don’t believe a word’ as another appropriate lyric(in my mind anyway)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

A Google search gives what you ask of it, no more than that.
Yes, Charter Cities, investment zones, money laundering centres, whatever you want to call them were discussed several pages back.

Cameron did away with our Freeports in 2012.

Why do you think the Tories keep,lying about not being allowed them whilst in the EU? It’s not because they are going to bring employment and prosperity to the working class, is it?

£7billion awarded to a 2 man firm in Truro, for Net Zero, who previously had a turnover of £600K a year. Who’s friend or donor owns that?

The High Court has already ruled the £37B to Dido Harding is unlawful, but that’s ok as her husband is the Minister for corruption.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I wasn’t clear - apologies. My comment of ‘some people still don’t get it’ was referring to the fact that there are obviously still many in UK who fail to recognize this bunch of dangerous charlatans masquerading as a government!

I was attempting to carry on the Thin Lizzy song reference that HWT was alluding to by using ‘Don’t believe a word’ as another appropriate lyric(in my mind anyway)

Ah! I do apologise

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Rotherweird!

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Honesty is no excuse.

Call the police!

Stato

Dec 21, 2011

For example;

Bin Lizzy
Sin Lizzy
Twin Lizzy

Doesn't help that Phil died nearly 40 years ago. A lot of the current generation have probably never heard of Lizzy and think that Whiskey in the Jar was by Metallica.

The band's name was actually an Irish accent wordplay joke on a Dandy cartoon character of a robot maid called 'Tin Lizzie'

It's just as archaic for the 21st century, but in my head I think of Truss as Janet Brown. She does an impression of Thatcher, you can tell who its supposed to be, but its quite poor and not at all funny.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
And so it begins

Former Conservative party treasurer, Lord Cruddas, has called for the leadership contest to be suspended after the delivery of ballot papers to party members was delayed following security concerns.

Cruddas, who has led a campaign for Boris Johnson’s name to be on the ballot, suggested the PM’s resignation should be rejected and that he should stay in his role until any security issues are resolved.

He called for the board to “immediately” suspend the leadership campaign and to allow party members to decide on a yes/no ballot to accept Johnson’s resignation.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And so it begins

Former Conservative party treasurer, Lord Cruddas, has called for the leadership contest to be suspended after the delivery of ballot papers to party members was delayed following security concerns.

Cruddas, who has led a campaign for Boris Johnson’s name to be on the ballot, suggested the PM’s resignation should be rejected and that he should stay in his role until any security issues are resolved.

He called for the board to “immediately” suspend the leadership campaign and to allow party members to decide on a yes/no ballot to accept Johnson’s resignation.

We become a Banana Republic if that happens lol.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
And so it begins

It’s about time the Privileges Committee dragged him in front of them, and stood him down as an MP, never mind a PM.
All the evidence of his misleading the House (lying) is in Hansard.

He should be charged, tried and hopefully in prison.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
And so it begins

Does seem they are changing the system so the vote cannot be changed after submission.

Maybe exclude all non-UK citizens while they are at it.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here