Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean
Read PPE at Merton. And that's college, not Mrs.

Her impertaive may be unpalatable, and her ambition unsightly, but she is probably not dim.

I say that as a member of the pary of the sons of toil.

You can get a degree in PPE ?

Who knew...She should have been in charge of dishing out those contracts at the start of the pandemic

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
You can get a degree in PPE ?

Who knew...She should have been in charge of dishing out those contracts at the start of the pandemic

Someone confused politics, philosophy and economics with the other thing. I think it probably was Mary (as is her name). Quite contrary...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I was watching 'Night Coppers' the Channel 4 documentary about the police in Brighton.

Soon after it started, this young lad tries to fight the police, they get the better of him, sit him down, and then, well it's just poetry.

'You can ring my mum. I'm a member of the Conservative party'.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Read PPE at Merton. And that's college, not Mrs.

Her imperative may be unpalatable, and her ambition unsightly, but she is probably not dim.

I say that as a member of the pary of the sons of toil.

There are different kinds of intelligence. I remember years ago having it pointed out that common sense is different things to different people. A rocket scientist will see things differently to the person who does the cleaning in his workplace, and the cleaner overall might be more useful.

And having studied at Oxford in the 1970s, I would suggest that dim people can make it there - certainly in those days. One bloke in my college - a historian - had been to Winchester, Rishi Sunak’s school, and had sat the Oxbridge entrance three times allegedly before getting in. Having said that, he was a very nice bloke.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
At least Rishi stopped mansplaining and manterrupting Truss in the debate last night. Small incremental progress.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Tory leadership hopeful Rishi Sunak has pledged to scrap the 5% VAT rate on household energy bills if prices continue to rise later this year.

The former chancellor, who has not promised tax cuts so far in his campaign, said the plan would help families with rising living costs.

Rival Liz Truss's campaign team described the move as desperate - accusing him of a "screeching U-turn".

Meanwhile rival Ms Truss has pledged to cut key crime rates if she wins.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Tory leadership hopeful Rishi Sunak has pledged to scrap the 5% VAT rate on household energy bills if prices continue to rise later this year.

The former chancellor, who has not promised tax cuts so far in his campaign, said the plan would help families with rising living costs.

Rival Liz Truss's campaign team described the move as desperate - accusing him of a "screeching U-turn".

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk
I'd prefer it if he scrapped the 20% VAT on vehicle fuel while the Ukraine war is on, tbh.

Last edited:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern

What copper-bottom moron would make such a claim?

And what does that mean? More crimes solved? That would entail much more spending on police. Or fewer crimes committed: which would mean more investment in education, housing, jobs, social care etc. I don't see any evidence of her making pledges for big rises in public spending.

What it will probably mean are league tables which mean police forces will target easy to solve crime: shoplifters caught by security staff, kids with a bit of blow in their pockets, driving without insurance etc.

It's a completely brainless suggestion from a brainless politician

Next week, England footballers should score 20% more goals ...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are different kinds of intelligence. I remember years ago having it pointed out that common sense is different things to different people. A rocket scientist will see things differently to the person who does the cleaning in his workplace, and the cleaner overall might be more useful.

And having studied at Oxford in the 1970s, I would suggest that dim people can make it there - certainly in those days. One bloke in my college - a historian - had been to Winchester, Rishi Sunak’s school, and had sat the Oxbridge entrance three times allegedly before getting in. Having said that, he was a very nice bloke.

There is a difference between getting into Merton and coming out with a decent degree. Your Brideshead Revisited types all came out with thirds if they were lucky. It was the poorer 'middle classes' (still mostly from public schools, but not artistocrats) who aspired to be scholars.

And I do acknowledge your allusion, if not explicitly made, that there is a University of Life which has entry requirements that may be even more stringent than Oxford's.

But all that aside, dislike Truss as much as one will (and I dislike her hugely) I would struggle to reach for 'dim' as the first word to describe her. Unprincipled, opportunistic, calculating yet naive (her cosplay Thatcher is laughable), and with a grasp that exceeds her reach, certainly. Dim.....? Hmmmm.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Weird how Truss takes a moment to look over at Rishi(?) before going to check on McCann. Be interested to know whether Rishi moved immediately or not, can't see from this footage.

I think this is a bad omen for what lies ahead from one of these clowns

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
There is a difference between getting into Merton and coming out with a decent degree. Your Brideshead Revisited types all came out with thirds if they were lucky. It was the poorer 'middle classes' (still mostly from public schools, but not artistocrats) who aspired to be scholars.

And I do acknowledge your allusion, if not explicitly made, that there is a University of Life which has entry requirements that may be even more stringent than Oxford's.

But all that aside, dislike Truss as much as one will (and I dislike her hugely) I would struggle to reach for 'dim' as the first word to describe her. Unprincipled, opportunistic, calculating yet naive (her cosplay Thatcher is laughable), and with a grasp that exceeds her reach, certainly. Dim.....? Hmmmm.

I take your point(s). I do fear she knows the electorate and is doing exactly what is needed to win.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
I’m not sure you can read too much into. I imagine they were both in shock - not an every day happening.

You don’t know what was happening off Camera, a first aid team may have been running over.

Yeah it was a bit of a cheap shot.

At least the public were spared another debate and Murdoch didn't capitalise on any ratings, I don't think another one serves any purpose at all. Truss will win...

Scappa

Jul 5, 2017
What copper-bottom moron would make such a claim?

And what does that mean? More crimes solved? That would entail much more spending on police. Or fewer crimes committed: which would mean more investment in education, housing, jobs, social care etc. I don't see any evidence of her making pledges for big rises in public spending.

What it will probably mean are league tables which mean police forces will target easy to solve crime: shoplifters caught by security staff, kids with a bit of blow in their pockets, driving without insurance etc.

It's a completely brainless suggestion from a brainless politician

Next week, England footballers should score 20% more goals ...

Or, as with COVID statistics, simply stop counting cases

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here