Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
Pretty sure it was John Major. Heath didn't serve a full term anyway, he called the election early (two of them in the same year).

The reason this happens is because the Tories soon ditch leaders they think might fail at the ballot box.

I don’t think I made it clear I was talking about a PM who was elected leader while not in government who then won the next election stayed in post as PM for a full term remaking in post and then loosing the next election

John Major became leader and PM after the ousting of Margaret Thatcher he was not elected leader with his party out of government

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Liz Truss is like one of those disturbed Victorian children who gets sent away to live with their Aunty in the countryside where they can do no harm . Except she hasn't been sent away, she's going to be put in charge of Britain :nono:

Blue3

Jan 27, 2014
Lancing
no, you misunderstand the system. being so common to have a leader change mid parliament indicates direct election of a leader is not how it works. we elect representitives, they support a leader. pretty much all western democracies follow this pattern, elect representitives, who elect as leader from among themselves.

I disagree it’s only in first past the post democratic system that a failed government change leader while retaining the same failed government, selected by the same failed Government members and then when the final two it goes to a very select small group of supporters

Other nations the vast majority of them use some form of proportional representation where most governments are working alliances between a number of political parties when a leader who is also the PM is ousted by their party it will almost always lead to the need to negotiate with other parties to try and maintain alliances.
If this is unachievable then the county goes to a general election

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Liz Truss is like one of those disturbed Victorian children who gets sent away to live with their Aunty in the countryside where they can do no harm . Except she hasn't been sent away, she's going to be put in charge of Britain :nono:

Truss will no more be in charge of Britain then I am in charge of my household... Easily manipulated figurehead - the female Jim Hacker!

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I disagree it’s only in first past the post democratic system that a failed government change leader while retaining the same failed government, selected by the same failed Government members and then when the final two it goes to a very select small group of supporters

Other nations the vast majority of them use some form of proportional representation where most governments are working alliances between a number of political parties when a leader who is also the PM is ousted by their party it will almost always lead to the need to negotiate with other parties to try and maintain alliances.
If this is unachievable then the county goes to a general election

right, because the head of government hasnt been directly elected in the parliamentry election. its nothing to do with FPTP, which concerns how the parliament is elected. really the thing different here is that party members have any say, elsewhere it would only be among the parliamenty party(s).

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
If you've watched the last 50 minutes and there is still even a tiny part of you that thinks Liz Truss is PM material, then frankly I'd be amazed if you actually manage to find your way to Eastbourne :shrug:
I think it's a shitshow either way but I'm just flabbergasted people can watch that and think Truss is the best bet. Or any bet!

Sent from my SM-G998B using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
25EB5D3C-CAD5-4E92-BF3E-23A52E1904F8.jpeg
C4AB996F-3781-4A60-AA93-16F7F94C3708.jpeg

Britain 2022.

sake.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Truss will no more be in charge of Britain then I am in charge of my household... Easily manipulated figurehead - the female Jim Hacker!

It makes you wonder how someone of her calibre has made it this far to begin with.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

Don't run yourself down :eek:

:wink:

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Roll on Truss, they will get destroyed in the next election.

Rishi could have won an election in my view, given he isn’t a complete idiot - doesn’t mean I agree with his policies.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I dunno about this attempt at a comedy reboot, real danger Truss is to Johnson what The Green Green Grass was to Only Fools & Horses, obvious attempt at the greatest hits regurgitated but the public have no interest in it.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The Tory Party are about to make a massive mistake, we just don't know which one yet.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
"I'm naturally a thrifty person - I like saving money, it's good for the environment," claims the naturally thrifty Liz Truss, who recently chartered the government's Airbus A321 for herself and officials to visit Australia at an estimated cost of £500,000, instead of taking a scheduled flight.

God knows what she does when she isn't feeling naturally thrifty :facepalm:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Roll on Truss, they will get destroyed in the next election.

Rishi could have won an election in my view, given he isn’t a complete idiot - doesn’t mean I agree with his policies.

The trouble is I fear she could make things an awful lot worse before any election happens.

I don’t think I have ever known anything that has had the ability to be quite so hilarious and so frightening at the same time. I really worry about what the next 2 years could bring.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
The trouble is I fear she could make things an awful lot worse before any election happens.

I don’t think I have ever known anything that has had the ability to be quite so hilarious and so frightening at the same time. I really worry about what the next 2 years could bring.

Me too. The thought of Truss in no 10, with the ERG cabal propping her up, and Boris also meddling, is a nightmare. If you have a mortgage, and it's not fixed rate - get it sorted quick. And if poss, get any spare assets out of the UK.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here