Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Rishi Sunak and Liz Truss have pledged to dramatically expand the Rwanda scheme for removing asylum seekers, as they bid with growing ferocity for Conservative members’ votes in the party leadership race.

Both are appealing to the right of the party with pledges on immigration branded “cruel” by charities.

In a bid to stress his Brexiter credentials, Sunak said he would do “whatever it takes” to get the stalled Rwanda plan “off the ground and operating at scale”, along with a vow to pursue more “migration partnerships” with other countries.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

It’s now emerged the scheme was only for 200 refugees, for £120M. And the 50 refugees we were taking in from Rwanda.

Seaview Seagull

NSC Patron
Mar 1, 2021
It's going to be great fun to see how the winning candidate works out how to appeal to the real electorate having spent months moving ever more rightwards to appeal to the Tory members.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
It’s now emerged the scheme was only for 200 refugees, for £120M. And the 50 refugees we were taking in from Rwanda.

I believe that you will find the £120M was a one off payment to be invested in Rwanda, any refugees cost extra (to be negotiated) on top. Further to this the £120M has already been spunked, even if the whole scheme is found to be illegal and nobody at all goes. The Rwanda Government have confirmed that it has already been 'committed' and part of it used.

And to top it off, the Rwanda Government have confirmed that they are powerless to stop the refugees leaving to return to the UK.

And this is the plan that the two candidates today are talking about expanding :facepalm:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I still haven't completely ruled out a Johnson comeback ???

No new policies from either candidate, just more of the same whilst the economy continues to plummet and the cost of living rockets still further. Give the new incumbent a few months and I think the Conservative Party members may be wanting to return to the 'Good old days' of Johnson.

After all, it wasn't them that got rid of him was it :shootself

7,600 have now signed the petition to put his name on the ballot.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex

If his name goes on the ballot then it becomes bumble****’s Conservative party, similar to what Trump tried to do with the GOP.
I strongly suspect that the traditional Tory grandees will put a stop to it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing

So what? Over 2.5m people signed a petition for a 2nd confirmation referendum on the Brexit deal and that was ignored.

He has been removed, they need to get over it.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Would it be a good idea if we all signed the petition too..?

I honestly think that with any momentum , this would just be another nail in the Conservative coffin.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
I knew it wouldn't be long before Momentum rear their ugly head again.

Regrettably , I think you are correct.

An extreme Left will always cause an extreme Right.....and vice versa of course.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
Would it be a good idea if we all signed the petition too..?

I honestly think that with any momentum , this would just be another nail in the Conservative coffin.

Probably would. Outside of party membership, Boris Johnson and his cult are to the Conservatives what Jeremy Corbyn and momentum were to Labour.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Regrettably , I think you are correct.

An extreme Left will always cause an extreme Right.....and vice versa of course.

Not sure that's in any way true. What usually happens is that the far right drags the debate so far right that moderates appear to be 'Extreme' left..and of course visa versa! Also Momentum are not particularly extreme left, just labelled that way so that people are wary of their views. They are mainly advocates for social justice and equality. Ideals that should be mainstream not feared, but then we do have a vested interest in our media to portray Momentum as dangerous!

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
Probably would. Outside of party membership, Boris Johnson and his cult are to the Conservatives what Jeremy Corbyn and momentum were to Labour.

Not heard of the Forde report then? It would appear that Mr Corbyn would have won in 2017 if his own party had not sabotaged his chances.

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Not sure that's in any way true. What usually happens is that the far right drags the debate so far right that moderates appear to be 'Extreme' left..and of course visa versa! Also Momentum are not particularly extreme left, just labelled that way so that people are wary of their views.

Would this be the same Momentum who fought so hard to have Peter Kyle de-selected ...?

( and thankfully failed )

Last edited:

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
Sorry what's your point?

Splendid political response.

It was a simple question that possibly needed just a simple yes or no answer.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
One has to trust that the 1922 committee will not bow to such a preposterous idea.

There is going to be a new committee so who trusts the ‘right’ committee members will be put in place. Christopher Chope of the Telegraph is reporting the story.

I don’t trust this lot as far as I can throw them.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
One has to trust that the 1922 committee will not bow to such a preposterous idea.

There is going to be a new committee so who trusts the ‘right’ committee members will be put in place. Christopher Chope of the Telegraph is reporting the story.

I don’t trust this lot as far as I can throw them.

Weren't this latest committee put in place with the intention of changing the rules so that another 'no confidence in Johnson' vote could be brought in earlier?
Why would they now be wanting him back as leader?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here