Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
This is why Pritti Patel is refusing to appear before the Home Office affairs committee.

In the meantime

[tweet]1549993750012825600[/tweet]

Parliament is sovereign in this country, and trade deals have to be ratified in the House. We are almost in a dictatorship.

Bye bye food security

Proof Truss isn't up to the job, terrible deal for the UK. It will set the theme now for the destruction of UK farming

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Please Harry, NO!
I hope Rishi wins, does as good a job for the country as he can and then come the election, the Tories time will be up and they need to go into Opposition like all parties do who have been in power for too long. Sir Keir takes over as PM and providing he can keep the Labour Party on the left centre rails, the country should be ok.

Good point. The problem is Truss is definitely going to win. So, mentally, I am already trying to make the best of it. Whichever of them win I can't see either winning a general election.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Bye bye food security

Proof Truss isn't up to the job, terrible deal for the UK. It will set the theme now for the destruction of UK farming

Offering farmers £100K to retire and the landowners can then build on the land or sell the land for building.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
But ultimately there is only one chance long term of preserving the union of the UK. To make peace with Europe and probably to rejoin the single market. Starmer absolutely can't campaign for that on this election and it is out of the question for the next parliament.

I believe he will win the election with a small majority. Then explicitly make the case for application for the single market as a last ditch attempt to prevent the break up of the UK at the next election.

Plenty of water to go under the bridge before then, not least when we lose the queen, one of the most important bits of glue binding the UK together will no longer be there. An enormous challenge.

And then they lose the northern seats again and you continue the cycle. I’m afraid Southern, middle class Labour supporters are going to have to get their head around the fact that that ship has sailed or the Tories get back in.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
truss.jpg

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Offering farmers £100K to retire and the landowners can then build on the land or sell the land for building.

I see the EU just signed an FTA with NZ, the centre piece was protecting their farmers from cheap imports with lower welfare.

The government here don't care about UK agriculture, they used them for Brexit and are now abusing them. Same with the fisherman...

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I see the EU just signed an FTA with NZ, the centre piece was protecting their farmers from cheap imports with lower welfare.

The government here don't care about UK agriculture, they used them for Brexit and are now abusing them. Same with the fisherman...

The NFU advised farmers to vote Remain but unfortunately 52% of them voted for Brexit (the same percentage as the country)

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Back in 2018 she was labelled as the worst PM across a broad spectrum of the press. As Johnson's legacy unravels, history will judge her more gently

I fear that his successor will ensure Johnson will be treated a tad more kindly by history...
... but, as you raise the issue, the primary problem is that too many, a substantial minority (but an electorally effective one) want to return to a past. Nostalgia reigns. It's not a cause of our decline, it's a symptom of it.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Not a chance. Even with Starmer, Labour will get in, propped up by the SNP (at the price IndyRef2), and a few LibDems in the South.

You are titanic on politics. They tried that wheeze in 2015, and the public bought it, and now look what's happened in the interim.
If things change, I'll look forward to you posting opinion polls.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The NFU advised farmers to vote Remain but unfortunately 52% of them voted for Brexit (the same percentage as the country)

It surprises me that it's as low as that, and how would they know anyway? Pre Brexit, I always noticed loads of UKIP posters and boards up in farmers' fields when I used to go cycling round the country roads of Cheshire and Derbyshire.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Starmer will never sanction indyref 2. Jocko Independence would equal death for labour. He'd rather stay in opposition.

In any case, this will be the Tories main election campaign attack line. Starmer will have to unequivocally rule out an SNP coalition

I can see a Labour minority government and a confidence and supply type arrangement with the SNP, but that won't come cheap.

Indyref2 is the only thing they want.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Starmer will never sanction indyref 2. Jocko Independence would equal death for labour. He'd rather stay in opposition.

In any case, this will be the Tories main election campaign attack line. Starmer will have to unequivocally rule out an SNP coalition

I can see a Labour minority government and a confidence and supply type arrangement with the SNP, but that won't come cheap.

Sturgeon losing her big biggest ally in Johnson, whoever follows is unlikely to be as successful in weakening our Union of nations

Starmer wants to grant more power to the regions, bad for the SNP looking for wedge issues and unlikely to further the Indy cause.

Only the Tories could deliver a Union break up, they know this, so no vote all the time they are at helm and polling is close

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Sturgeon losing her big biggest ally in Johnson, whoever follows is unlikely to be as successful in weakening our Union of nations

Starmer wants to grant more power to the regions, bad for the SNP looking for wedge issues and unlikely to further the Indy cause.

Only the Tories could deliver a Union break up, they know this, so no vote all the time they are at helm and polling is close

Most likely you're right. The SNP would refuse to prop up a labour government and allow a tory continuation minority government or further general election. That's not without risks though. Enabling a right wing government for political reasons won't look good for their core vote

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
To follow this up, heard on R4 this morning.

[tweet]1550032272195207171[/tweet]

'fringe economist' :lolol:

nutter is the word he was looking for.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Last edited:

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Indyref2 is the only thing they want.

I think there’s a court hearing later this year regarding whether Scotland can call a referendum without Westminster’s backing. It will be seismic if they win this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here