Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
Dishy Rishi must be ****ing fuming. He's pissed every MPs vote by miles - but the moment the ballot goes to the demented membership he's gonna get beaten by Mavis from Coronation Street and spend the next 2 years in California.

There, corrected that for you.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Ok so you don't trust the editor of the Telegraph. It's not from me so take it or leave it.

Perhaps just a difference of opinion on using Twitter as a source. If the editor of the Telegraph were to write a detailed article on the subject I would take notice. A few words on Twitter less so. Best I can find is this in the Independent but still no detail;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nson-tory-leadership-ballot-b2126539.html?amp

I will look forward to the full article and am a bit surprised it hasn’t been written already.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Don't worry, Truss will probably put him in her cabinet.

He's probably on the phone to her now, telling her what job to give him:

Deputy Prime Minister

...and we're back where we started. Well played, Boris, old son. :shootself

(..and it will probably come with 'the flat').

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Don't worry, Truss will probably put him in her cabinet.

now that i could see happening. Minister for Brexit?

more likely though he already has a scheudule of speaking engagments inbetween writing his memoirs, far more lucrative and less burdensome than any cabinet job.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Dishy Rishi must be ****ing fuming. He's pissed every MPs vote by miles - but the moment the ballot goes to the demented membership he's gonna get beaten by Mavis from Coronation Street and spend the next 2 years as junior minister at the White Fish Authority.
I'm sure he'll land on his feet.

West Hoathly Seagull

Honorary Ruffian
Aug 26, 2003
Sharpthorne/SW11
Dishy Rishi must be ****ing fuming. He's pissed every MPs vote by miles - but the moment the ballot goes to the demented membership he's gonna get beaten by Mavis from Coronation Street and spend the next 2 years as junior minister at the White Fish Authority.

I'm not sure he would stay on for long. I should think Truss would keep Nadhim Zahawi as Chancellor, and Rishi won't want anything less. I don't expect Foreign Secretary would attract him. If he stays as a backbench MP, he can go back to banking part-time, and then leave Parliament and go back full time. He must have known the risk when he resigned.

Talking of Kemi Badenoch's supporters, I think at least two won't vote for Liz Truss. She and Michael Gove are fierce rivals, and Greg Clark, the MP for Tunbridge Wells, who is on the One Nation wing, and the neighbour of Tom Tugendhat, was a supporter of hers. This surprised me. I thought he would go for Tugendhat. However, that leaves a solid 57 for Truss to recruit, unless some of those who came over from Tugendhat go for Sunak or Mordaunt, but I don't think it will be enough to keep Truss off the members' ballot.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Perhaps just a difference of opinion on using Twitter as a source. If the editor of the Telegraph were to write a detailed article on the subject I would take notice. A few words on Twitter less so. Best I can find is this in the Independent but still no detail;

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nson-tory-leadership-ballot-b2126539.html?amp

I will look forward to the full article and am a bit surprised it hasn’t been written already.

the 1922 commitee set out the rules for the leadership election, if its not in there (and we'd have been told by now), Johnson cant enter no matter what some tory Lord says. need to remember he was going to go through embaressment of a rule change specifically for another vote by the parliamentry party to kick him out. i reckon its fringe supporters or a wind up.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
didnt you know BAME community have a defined electoral box, with certain set of views and opinions?

When, per the governments' own statistics https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...its/employment/employment/latest#by-ethnicity BAME people had an unemployment rate of 44% compared to the white 22%, when the UPP Foundation states black students are 1.5 times more likely to drop out of University than white and when stop and search significantly impacts on the lives of young black men more than any other cohort, then perhaps they should.

Rather than cosying up to Britain First, an acknowledged fascist party whose leader Paul Golding was convicted of terrorism in 2020.

You sleepwalk to 1937 if you want mate, there are lots of us who won't.

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
When, per the governments' own statistics https://www.ethnicity-facts-figures...its/employment/employment/latest#by-ethnicity BAME people had an unemployment rate of 44% compared to the white 22%, when the UPP Foundation states black students are 1.5 times more likely to drop out of University than white and when stop and search significantly impacts on the lives of young black men more than any other cohort, then perhaps they should.

Rather than cosying up to Britain First, an acknowledged fascist party whose leader Paul Golding was convicted of terrorism in 2020.

You sleepwalk to 1937 if you want mate, there are lots of us who won't.

you want to assume various believes and views based on some employment profile? brave. wouldnt dare assume such, from listening to BiL and many work colleges over the years, the BAME political views are far more diverse than that. having support from a fascist is not cosying up to them. why not stop to wonder why they might have common ground?

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Sure hope the latest Tory members poll is an aberration! They seem to have been all over the place since the start of this contest.

Makes you wonder what they’re smoking? Why on earth would they want the self-styled “continuity” candidate?

Are they really stupid enough to want another 2+ years of the same shambolic government?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
you want to assume various believes and views based on some employment profile? brave. wouldnt dare assume such

No, read what I wrote again and try to understand it this time.

the BAME political views are far more diverse than that. having support from a fascist is not cosying up to them. why not stop to wonder why they might have common ground?

They are, but in the new, divide and conquer, binary, Brexit and Culture Wars world they will have to pick a side and I suspect Kemi, Suella and a couple of others have picked the wrong one.

Of course it's GREAT to have a BAME person waffling non stop shite about "woke" and "cancel culture" without ever fully understanding or explaining it but, at the end of the day, saying the sort of things that Britain First support should be making you reconsider your life choices. We're far too close to the "some of my best mates are black" argument for my liking.

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
SCHEDULE 2
RULES FOR THE ELECTION OF THE LEADER

1 The Leader shall be elected by the Party Members and Scottish Party Members.
2 A Leader resigning from the Leadership of the Party is not eligible for re-nomination in the consequent Leadership election

I can’t see how they will get round this rule. Aren’t they forever telling us, you can’t change your mind and expect another vote?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
the 1922 commitee set out the rules for the leadership election, if its not in there (and we'd have been told by now), Johnson cant enter no matter what some tory Lord says. need to remember he was going to go through embaressment of a rule change specifically for another vote by the parliamentry party to kick him out. i reckon its fringe supporters or a wind up.

The rules from the 1922 committee said there couldn't be a VONC within 12 months but two executive members of the committee were prepared to change the rules.
They didn't need to as a spate of resignations followed.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
SCHEDULE 2

2 A Leader resigning from the Leadership of the Party is not eligible for re-nomination in the consequent Leadership election

I can’t see how they will get round this rule. Aren’t they forever telling us, you can’t change your mind and expect another vote?

He hasn't resigned. There was no mention of the word resign in his speech, he didn't put anything in writing and didn't visit the Queen. He said it was an intention to resign.
He is still acting like the party leader sacking Ellwood.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
SCHEDULE 2

The MPs could call for a vote of no confidence in the new leader in a couple of months. Johnson could then stand in the subsequent election and win.

Of course, the 1922 Committe would have to change the rules on election but if there's enough pressure, it could happen

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here