Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
Guess what, it doesn’t matter what I think, because of this completely undemocratic excercise in Tory navel gazing, I don’t have a vote in who will be my country’s next PM.
No wonder we end up with people like Johnson if people can’t see when they are being manipulated in such a clumsy and obvious way.

Now please stop quoting me, I’ve had you on ignore for years and I really don’t want or need your drivel.

Ha ha! At least we can agree that what you think doesn't matter. Nighty night. :kiss:

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
No, I obviously can't grasp the in depth political understanding of the NSC hive mind. Obviously you are all right and he Tories are all idiots. That's why the public keep voting Labour governments.

Bit of whataboutism there.

Liz Truss is a very odd individual, clearly acknowledged even within the party, She has had intensive voice training and a 1980s make over to appear like Thatcher.

That how utterly weird the party has become under Johnson. The clearly competent (and not very very strange) didn't even get this far in the vote.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
thing is those people didnt vote Thatcher for what she wore, probably didnt notice, its just weird really.

It’s subliminal. Truss knows that. A sense of respect, loyalty and devotion may be washing over many Tory party members when they view Truss and they don’t really know why.

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
thing is those people didnt vote Thatcher for what she wore, probably didnt notice, its just weird really.

I think they probably did even subliminally. Her image was carefully constructed and she had voice training to deepen her voice and change her delivery.

However that was the 70s/80s and we are a lot more wiser to it now.

The Truss Thatcher impression has been developing for a while. The utter oddness is that it's so obvious and I'm pretty sure the members of the Conservative party aren't that stupid.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
It’s subliminal. Truss knows that. A sense of respect, loyalty and devotion may be washing over many Tory party members when they view Truss and they don’t really know why.

:mad:

God this thread is getting desperate. I'm off to bed. :lolol:

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
CBAD5D1B-0D19-4EE3-9A46-76596F84AB4A.jpeg

731E5E37-2A72-4694-B416-CD129E8E7307.jpeg

4824834E-8342-4AC2-9F68-18A879C28678.jpeg

16827222-8F7F-494C-A009-B253B53BA856.jpeg

Weird, corrupt, gormless, and demented.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
I only caught the last 10 minutes after the golf finished but **** me what an uninspiring bunch of ne’erdowells. Did enjoy that Truss went full cosplay Thatcher but managed to blow it by looking down the wrong camera.

As we know, Tugendhat is the lone sane one. So it’s no surprise the public most warmed to him, just as it’s no surprise the Tory members won’t touch him with a barge pole.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
:mad:

God this thread is getting desperate. I'm off to bed. :lolol:

I notice you ignored my post with comparison pictures of Mary and Maggie. In fact, I’m surprised Liz hasn’t started being called by her real name, Mary Truss. She must like the initials.

But yeah, those pics make pretty compelling argument that she is trying to mimic Thatcher. I can see why you ignored it.

Night night.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
As foreign secretary I like the way she stood up to Putin while the eu dithered. She has worked tirelessly to create trade deals Worldwide, brought 10 billion pounds worth of investment into the country by bringing together the World's largest investors to a meeting. Another billion pound expansion to Nissan UK that many feared would leave these shores after Brexit and she was the first one I've heard to have the balls to say she would suspend the green tax on fuel. Unfortunately she is not a performer like Boris, more of Theresa May in that regard but I think/hope she will be the strong leader this country needs right now. Obviously this won't be a popular opinion on this forum but that is how I see it. Who do you think should lead this country and why?

When folk in the UK talk about standing up to Putin, I honestly laugh. And then realise it's no laughing matter.

Liz Truss is seen as a comedic figure in Moscow, with a few thinly veiled salvos fired back. This is the woman who said it was fine for UK citizens to join the war :ffsparr:

She declares 'I stood up to Putin'. Oh just **** off. Politicians waving their willies, or tits, and playing the big I am- or want to be.

All of them, no matter what party.

And you look at NSC, short of their chosen affiliations going on a murderous rampage in a park somewhere they swear loyalty. The 'Boris is okay' despite being a compulsive liar and quite dangerous in his ineptitude was nauseous.

I've been a member of the Green Party for years. But I've voted for other candidates in elections and been open within the party and outwith about my opposition to some policy ideas. I'm am not a 'Green', I just choose to have a membership because I think they mean well and like the heart of the party. Perhaps if others stopped being so tribal we'd get somewhere.

As for the question of next Tory leader, no-one knows enough for who is best. The Tory membership demographic is right leaning and not representative of the nation, and probably not of the 44% who voted for them at the election. For what it's worth, Tom Tugendhat seems pretty sensible and has a good CV. But he's not very right wing and doesn't have a cat in hell's chance. He should be the next Foreign Secretary.

And this is one of the problems with the Tory party. They have some decent apples in there. But they never seem to get very far.

Last edited:

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Fair enough, but can you explain what it is the two you mentioned have done for you to prefer them?

Well to me, along with Badenoch, they seem the most genuine. Sunak, and particularly Truss, very much not so. Then with Tugendhat and Mordaunt not part of Johnson's cabal, their credence is improved further.

I think we need someone as PM who is genuine and principled and relatively central politically. More so in the next few months/years. The others don't meet that imo, at least how I see it. I am very probably wrong and/or being naive.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Based on a poll in the Independent it seems Liz Truss does in fact have the ability to unite our country.

A sample of Conservative voters, Labour voters and floating voters surveyed after the debate ALL put Truss in last place by a significant margin.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
...As for the question of next Tory leader, no-one knows enough for who is best. The Tory membership demographic is right leaning and not representative of the nation, and probably not of the 44% who voted for them at the election. For what it's worth, Tom Tugendhat seems pretty sensible and has a good CV. But he's not very right wing and doesn't have a cat in hell's chance. He should be the next Foreign Secretary.

And this is one of the problems with the Tory party. They have some decent apples in there. But they never seem to get very far.

Interesting that polling suggests they would choose PM4PM over any other candidate.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Candidates just need to concentrate on getting in the last 2 for now.

They have to be "in it to win it" and who knows what revelations will come out before the members vote.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Based on a poll in the Independent it seems Liz Truss does in fact have the ability to unite our country.

A sample of Conservative voters, Labour voters and floating voters surveyed after the debate ALL put Truss in last place by a significant margin.

But she will be brilliant for the Mail’s non-dom owners. I wonder how many sheep they can influence?

b27564845d044889fdc069f632b355b7.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here