Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Was great fun tonight watching KG-M of C4 News interviewing three MP's regarding the candidates they are supporting...one spoke of Sunak's humble beginnings and his scholarship at Winchester College...KG-M pointed out that in fact his parents paid the school fees. ...

its a batshit election, thanks to the recent year's of Johnsons lies, his replacements have actually set the " truth " bar even lower !

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
He’s basically ripping the piss out of those you worship, if you found him funny you’d basically be laughing and ridiculing yourself.
I used to find him a bit over the top but considering the behaviour of the cretins that he lampoons he’s pretty much on the money.

Let’s face it ‘the thick of it’ used to be a comedy programme … now it’s a documentary on Tory government.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

TToI was more of a documentary on New Labour, shirley. Ianucci has said that he couldn't satirise this lot.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Seriously I have not seen even one bad video on Starmer and co, whereas the tories had them coming at them daily for years since Brexit really.

A right wing member of my family popped this little nugget up on social media recently:

https://youtu.be/bi2_2ogPMvo

By all accounts, they found it very, very funny indeed.

I didn’t because I couldn’t identify the underlying truth in it. Do you find it funny?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I'm curious why people think Sunak would be the most sensible choice for a functioning government? I appreciate this is the majority view given he is favourite to win at the minute (7/4 ish on Betfair) but I just can't get my head around it. He has been very much part of this Governments complete shitshow and is the worst of the worst in the last cabinet. Personally, I'm team anything but Sunak. He would be worse than Johnson catering for Big bizniz, sod the poor in the cost of living crisis but make sure his rich mates are well and truely looked after.

In my eyes, Jeremy Hunt is probably the least worst option but he will never get the 1922 lunatic votes so has no chance as Brexit has cleared the sensible ones out. To that end, whoever we get is going to make promises about going even further right than we are today to scoop up the MP vote. At this rate Tommy Robinson could chuck his hat in.

Ahh. See my post. I said Sunak might be able to run a government more sensibly than Boris. Which is a long way from claiming that it would be a functioning government, but a statement I do stand by

Ooh it’s a corner

Aug 28, 2016
Nr. Coventry
A right wing member of my family popped this little nugget up on social media recently:

https://youtu.be/bi2_2ogPMvo

By all accounts, they found it very, very funny indeed.

I didn’t because I couldn’t identify the underlying truth in it. Do you find it funny?

No it’s drivel.

The funny bit is of course that no-one needs to make any videos up about the Tory leadership candidates - you can just pick and choose from real-life stuff they’ve already done!

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I think Javid is an absolute shoo-in to be next leader.

He seems to be the only one to realise that Tories will have 10 years in the wilderness politically unless some huge changes happen with a new leader.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson is poised to go ahead with a resignation honours list before he departs Downing Street, No 10 has confirmed, after speculation that it could include gongs for the culture secretary, Nadine Dorries, and the former Daily Mail editor Paul Dacre, among others.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I watched a lot of Newsnight last week and it had guests from all ends of the political spectrum.... of the tory party. Thangam Debbonaire was the only Labour voice I saw represented. Left wing journalist Ash Sarkar was on another segment. No Lib Dems all week, no SNP. Given the circumstances I could understand that there would be a lot of tory noise, but despite Starmer and Rayner being cleared and Starmer giving a press conference about it on Friday and Starmer giving another press conference today, its still been almost nothing but wall to wall tories: three in studio tonight and nobody from any other party. When there are journalists, they often have at least two out of three from right wing journals. Katy Balls of The Spectator seems to have a season ticket. Its not the whole organisation, BBC News covered Starmer's speeches, but Newsnight's editorial policy seems to be more and more of the view that there is only one party in British politics. I'm getting a bit sick of it,

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Under normal circumstances I would agree completely, but the 2.5 years of Government? we have just had and the resulting impending economic disaster is not going to be avoided by someone trying to 'stabilise' the situation. It's too late for that and I believe that only some radical changes will stop the direction of travel or, at best slow the currently increasing velocity.

I think it's become fairly obvious in the last 48 hrs that none of the somewhat expansive field of candidates has the appetite for that. Sadly, I can't see anything ahead, but more of the same :shrug:

Hence my final sentence

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
I watched a lot of Newsnight last week and it had guests from all ends of the political spectrum.... of the tory party. Thangam Debbonaire was the only Labour voice I saw represented. Left wing journalist Ash Sarkar was on another segment. No Lib Dems all week, no SNP. Given the circumstances I could understand that there would be a lot of tory noise, but despite Starmer and Rayner being cleared and Starmer giving a press conference about it on Friday and Starmer giving another press conference today, its still been almost nothing but wall to wall tories: three in studio tonight and nobody from any other party. When there are journalists, they often have at least two out of three from right wing journals. Katy Balls of The Spectator seems to have a season ticket. Its not the whole organisation, BBC News covered Starmer's speeches, but Newsnight's editorial policy seems to be more and more of the view that there is only one party in British politics. I'm getting a bit sick of it,

That maybe because the Labour party are not really saying anything of note other than to remind people how awful the Tories are and the Tories seem to be doing a good enough job of that on their own.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I watched a lot of Newsnight last week and it had guests from all ends of the political spectrum.... of the tory party. Thangam Debbonaire was the only Labour voice I saw represented. Left wing journalist Ash Sarkar was on another segment. No Lib Dems all week, no SNP. Given the circumstances I could understand that there would be a lot of tory noise, but despite Starmer and Rayner being cleared and Starmer giving a press conference about it on Friday and Starmer giving another press conference today, its still been almost nothing but wall to wall tories: three in studio tonight and nobody from any other party. When there are journalists, they often have at least two out of three from right wing journals. Katy Balls of The Spectator seems to have a season ticket. Its not the whole organisation, BBC News covered Starmer's speeches, but Newsnight's editorial policy seems to be more and more of the view that there is only one party in British politics. I'm getting a bit sick of it.

It’s quite clear that Tim Davie has done a job on Newsnight. There was a recent show with Mark Urban presenting; he just let the Tory he was interviewing off the hook completely. If Paxman had been there, the Tory would have been toast but Urban was just excepting a load of BS from the Tory.

We’ll have to wait until Davie is gone before the show is revitalised.

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Have to say that when I see the candidates for the post of Prime Minister interviewed, I become fearful for the future of this country.

But, when I see Suella Braverman interviewed, I am filled with terror.

Surely they wouldn`t, would they?

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
That maybe because the Labour party are not really saying anything of note.

Actually, in his speech on Friday Starmer said that the tory party needs to get rid of Johnson now rather than let him hang on as he sees fit. He argued that when Teresa May stayed on, she was being removed because of policy disagreement, not because her colleagues considered her to be untrustworthy or dishonest. He said that, if the tories don't oust Johnson, that Labour would step up and call a vote of no confidence in the house, requiring the tories to either vote that they have confidence in a leader they had just got rid of because they were sick of his lies, or vote for the motion, thus bringing on a general election at a time when they don't have a leader. My thought was that this would put the tories in such an impossible position that they would have no choice, but to get him out themselves this week. I tuned in on Friday night expecting this to be discussed as the possibility of an immediate general election seemed to be something of note. Nope - Wasn't even mentioned. I tuned in tonight thinking that the subject might now be up for discussion following the 1922 committee elections. Nothing mentioned again.

Neither was Starmer being cleared covered, a story that was featured multiple times on the programme before confirmation that there was no case to answer, neither was him ruling out any possibility of a coalitiion with the SNP.

The editors decide what the news is and they seem to think that there is only one subject of note.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead

Agreed completely. And it’s exactly the same on NSC !!

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Actually, in his speech on Friday Starmer said that the tory party needs to get rid of Johnson now rather than let him hang on as he sees fit. He argued that when Teresa May stayed on, she was being removed because of policy disagreement, not because her colleagues considered her to be untrustworthy or dishonest. He said that, if the tories don't oust Johnson, that Labour would step up and call a vote of no confidence in the house, requiring the tories to either vote that they have confidence in a leader they had just got rid of because they were sick of his lies, or vote for the motion, thus bringing on a general election at a time when they don't have a leader. My thought was that this would put the tories in such an impossible position that they would have no choice, but to get him out themselves this week. I tuned in on Friday night expecting this to be discussed as the possibility of an immediate general election seemed to be something of note. Nope - Wasn't even mentioned. I tuned in tonight thinking that the subject might now be up for discussion following the 1922 committee elections. Nothing mentioned again.

Neither was Starmer being cleared covered, a story that was featured multiple times on the programme before confirmation that there was no case to answer, neither was him ruling out any possibility of a coalitiion with the SNP.

The editors decide what the news is and they seem to think that there is only one subject of note.

He should do that this week, Labour are in their best position to win an election.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

maybe its a reflection Starmer is more mouth than trousers and editors know there's no story there. could have called for a VoC for months and hasnt, Liberals at least have a motion up for one (not enough signatures). he probably knows the Conservatives will happily vote it down then go back to their internal squabble. time for a VoC was probably right after Javid speech or Johnson announcing resignation.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here