Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Senior Tories accused Boris Johnson of trying to torpedo*Rishi Sunak’s bid to succeed him as prime minister*– and of refusing to leave No 10 with good grace – as the leadership race descended into bitter infighting.

As a trio of cabinet ministers entered the contest last night, senior MPs said the battle now risked inflicting even more damage on the party than the fall of Margaret Thatcher more than three decades ago.

One party grandee accused Johnson of installing unsuitable MPs to middle-ranking and junior government posts when he knew he was on his way out “to cause maximum problems for his successor” who would inevitably have to sack most of them on taking office.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Buckle in. This is going to be awesome.

Just a shame that there is a country that actually needs putting back together whilst they are all tearing each other to shreds in a blind fury of naked ambition and the people trying to prop up our crumbling public services and educate our kids are queuing up at food banks.

It’s going to be a bloodbath.

I can’t wait, a lot of people that I truly dislike tearing each other to pieces.
Any chance of getting Piers Morgan, and Jim Davidson to stand as well?

I do feel quite guilty tho, cos it’s awful for the country.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
People have to be crazy if they didn’t think he was staying on to cause chaos and disrupt the whole process. To what end remains to be seen but he needs to go. Now.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
0781BFC5-1F42-438A-A0DF-A9DB85B068C9.jpeg

Anyone else think the headline and unrelated picture were set out quite deliberately?

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
My wife doesn’t often make me laugh out loud, but tonight we have just been watching News at Ten, before getting our jimjams on, while the newsreader was rattling off the list of nonentities jockeying for the top job in No 10.

Getting up and heading for the bathroom, she said “I think I’ll put my name in” - made me really laugh that someone as unpolitically motivated could see the monstrosity of what’s going on. Having said that, I think she could do a job!
Your user name is darkwolf666 and you have used the word 'jimjams'.

Please refrain from doing this again and try to stay on brand.

Sent from my M2010J19CG using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I don’t think there’s any evidence whatsoever of this. He’s way too far gone, nobody in British political history has ever recovered from a situation as dire as his. I remember when Brown resigned, he wanted to stay as “caretaker” for several months too while they elected a new leader. He was ousted too when this was untenable. The only reason he was forced out was because of the election result.

Boris is going, everyone knows it. They just need to do their political machinations and choose their new leader (carefully, hopefully) to transition to.

Exactly. People are posting stuff as fact that they have just made up.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
What has been posted as fact that has just been made up? I’ve seen a fair few opinions but nothing stated as fact.

The claims Johnson hasn’t resigned. Lots of posters winding each other up into greater and greater outrage. Perhaps some people will miss Johnson the hate figure which is why they have also turned on his potential successors with wild claims. Clearly meaningful political debate is beyond a lot of people.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The claims Johnson hasn’t resigned. Lots of posters winding each other up into greater and greater outrage. Perhaps some people will miss Johnson the hate figure which is why they have also turned on his potential successors with wild claims. Clearly meaningful political debate is beyond a lot of people.

I think you’re the one making things up. I don’t see any outrage either. More a sense of the inevitable that he has managed to stay in No.10 seemingly with the goal to disrupt the process of finding a new leader. There’s no reason at all for him to be there. The role of deputy PM exists for just such a situation. And if there was outrage, it’s appropriate. It is outrageous that he has been allowed to stay on in No.10. Especially considering his history of chicanery.

Johnson has stated he wants to stay on to ensure a smooth and trusted of power and to maintain consistency. People have suggested that isn’t his intention.

You think Johnson has clung on for honourable reasons?

My personal view is that he’s deluded enough to think he can turn this around. There’s not much of a chance he’ll get away with it. But so far he’s had it all his own way, nothing would surprise me.

What he’s done fits no definition of political resignation I can think of.

You think we will miss Johnson? Now that is making stuff up!

I sort of see why you’re saying but I think you’re interpreting it wrong. Just my opinion, of course.

What wild claims have been made about his potential successors? Specifically?

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Don’t forget he was forced to resign not simply because he was unfit for the roel but because he lied. Time and time again. That’s why he should have not been allowed to remain in office for one more day. This is a different circumstance to a PM resigning because their party have simply lost confidence in their ability to do the job.

It’s the difference between getting fired for being a bit crap at your job and being fired for getting caught with your hands in the till. You leave, straight away. No if’s. No but’s. No long goodbye’s.

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
Don’t forget he was forced to resign not simply because he was unfit for the roel but because he lied. Time and time again. That’s why he should have not been allowed to remain in office for one more day. This is a different circumstance to a PM resigning because their party have simply lost confidence in their ability to do the job.

It’s the difference between getting fired for being a bit crap at your job and being fired for getting caught with your hands in the till. You leave, straight away. No if’s. No but’s. No long goodbye’s.

Agreed.

Can we add no grocer’s apostrophes to the list too though please? :p

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think you’re the one making things up. I don’t see any outrage either. More a sense of the inevitable that he has managed to stay in No.10 seemingly with the goal to disrupt the process of finding a new leader. There’s no reason at all for him to be there. The role of deputy PM exists for just such a situation. And if there was outrage, it’s appropriate. It is outrageous that he has been allowed to stay on in No.10. Especially considering his history of chicanery.

Johnson has stated he wants to stay on to ensure a smooth and trusted of power and to maintain consistency. People have suggested that isn’t his intention.

You think Johnson has clung on for honourable reasons?

My personal view is that he’s deluded enough to think he can turn this around. There’s not much of a chance he’ll get away with it. But so far he’s had it all his own way, nothing would surprise me.

What he’s done fits no definition of political resignation I can think of.

You think we will miss Johnson? Now that is making stuff up!

I sort of see why you’re saying but I think you’re interpreting it wrong. Just my opinion, of course.

What wild claims have been made about his potential successors? Specifically?

Someone mentioned Gordon Brown’s fairly long drawn out departure as a comparison. Not exactly the same but similar. I had a quick Google of some of these scandals people are mentioning and couldn’t find much beyond the Twitter accounts people have linked to. Lots of innuendo which people choose to believe if it suits. I’m not defending any of them. I just wish politics wasn’t like a reality game show with the observers as bad as the contestants. Anyway, it’s a lovely day. Enjoy.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

It is a fact that Johnson hasn’t been to see the Queen to resign.
It is a fact there is no resignation letter.
It is a fact he is still living in Downing Street/Chequers.

Don’t try to belittle people because you don’t agree.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here