Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Tory meltdown finally arrived [was: incoming]...

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Will that work? Surely no Tory will vote for what is, essentially, a near-term general election - that would be turkeys voting for Christmas, wouldn't it?

Probably a smart political calculation. If the Prime Minister doesn’t go, and a vote of no confidence is forced, then the remainder of the Conservative Parliamentary Party will probably circle the wagons to protect their own positions. But then Starmer gets to tie the entire party to Johnson’s misdeeds all over again. It’s a way of denying the Conservatives the ability to present any incoming administration as a “respray”. It’s imperative for Labour that they make this link between Johnson and his former enablers stick in people’s minds.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
I have just realised why I like the cut of Ben Wallace's Jib...

While in the Scots Guards, he is said to have broken the record for the largest ever bill at the bar in the officers' mess.

:drink: :lolol:

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
On the other hand, the Tories might be uncomfortable to give Boris' government a confidence vote, in case he took that to mean they wanted him to stay on permanently. Would certainly be interesting.

I can't imagine any serving Tory MP wants to put their fate in the hands of the electorate any time soon, so I can't see why they'd vote for anything that could make that happen. I'd be choosing the lesser of two evils.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
For someone who always comes across as very measured and assured, unusually he looked anything but.

A lot of adrenaline pumping, I imagine. The unravelling of the government over the last 48 hours or so, bringing to a head something he has been pursuing for many months.

Exactly- so so given how he’s had those many months to prepare for the inevitable, it’s reasonable to think he’d have had something better ready than his usual flannel. Time for him to step up and put his boot on the throats of the lot of them

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
All we need now is Durham Police to announce their findings, especially as it's due after they met CPS, which means they must feel there's case to answer.
Was just thinking the same.

Durham Police, do your stuff....

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
James Cleverly has been appointed the new education secretary, replacing Michelle Donelan, who herself was only appointed on Tuesday to replace Nadhim Zahawi when be became chancellor.

Donelan in post for just 36 hours. I've had longer shits than that.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I can't imagine any serving Tory MP wants to put their fate in the hands of the electorate any time soon, so I can't see why they'd vote for anything that could make that happen. I'd be choosing the lesser of two evils.
I think you're right, but it does put the Tory MPs in a difficult position. You could imagine BJ winning the vote of no-confidence and taking that as a mandate to continue as PM until the next GE in 2024

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I think that they should appoint May as interim PM. That would make me smile :thumbsup:

E4DCB6F0-A55B-4E66-A681-57758CB8F285.jpeg

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That’s what I thought. He seemed desperate not to say the wrong thing or anything beyond his rehearsed mantra. He actually looked a little apprehensive.

The last thing I want to see Starmer do is rate the runners and riders, and repeating that we need a general election is really the only comment he should be making. It may be dull, but so be it.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
James Cleverly appointed education secretary

James Cleverly has been appointed the new education secretary, replacing Michelle Donelan, who herself was only appointed on Tuesday to replace Nadhim Zahawi when be became chancellor. Cleverly was a minister of state at the Foreign Office.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

To be fair that’s a good name for an Education Secretary.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
So where did it all go wrong for Boris?

He’s not the first PM to lie, or the last, he’s not the first to support a nonce, Maggie entertained Saville at Chequers, he didn’t send British soldiers to their deaths in an illegal war, so what’s actually done it for him?

Is it basically down to the lockdown Parties?

Have we as a nation finally found some political morals in the 21st century or as James O’Brien said on the wireless this morning, “Choosing the next Tory PM is a bit like choosing which rancid toilet to use next at Glastonbury”.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Was just thinking the same.

Durham Police, do your stuff....

Love to see Robert Peston receiving the news that Starmer was being charged, think his head would wobble off his neck.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
So where did it all go wrong for Boris?

He’s not the first PM to lie, or the last, he’s not the first to support a nonce, Maggie entertained Saville at Chequers, he didn’t send British soldiers to their deaths in an illegal war, so what’s actually done it for him?

Is it basically down to the lockdown Parties?

Have we as a nation finally found some political morals in the 21st century or as James O’Brien said on the wireless this morning, “Choosing the next Tory PM is a bit like choosing which rancid toilet to use next at Glastonbury”.
The Teflon wore off

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
I think you're right, but it does put the Tory MPs in a difficult position. You could imagine BJ winning the vote of no-confidence and taking that as a mandate to continue as PM until the next GE in 2024

I don't think so. It's over and thankfully he knows it, finally.

Any attempt to cling on and the 1922 Committee will do whatever it takes to remove him near-instantly.

TomandJerry

Oct 1, 2013
Boris Johnson is now expected to make his resignation statement at around 12.30pm, the BBC reports.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here