Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Working Life!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
When I started in IT it was actually called E.A.M. ! For Electric Adding Machines, I kid you not !

80 Column ? You wimp ! 51 Column as well plus those nasty System 3 90 ? column montroseties. Paper tape, disk pacs, 8' floppies (a fairly modern invention) and jolly old tapes yes.

But, ever programmed a patch panel on an IBM 088 Collator ?

Frankly nothing impresses me now. I've just bunged an HDD into this PC that has the capacity that would have been the size of a truck wheel ten years ago when I last worked on a mainframe.

REDLAND

Jul 7, 2003
At the foot of the downs
Work to live buddy, I work to live

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I work to live big style, minimum effort for maximum return is my philosophy that said I do work bloody hard but the rewards are worth it and it means I can go out get smashed all weekend and still be able to afford all the niceties in life.

I've been in IT now for 10 years and I'm bored of it so god nows how 30 years treats you, still moneys good so I'll probably still be in IT in 20 years time

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
bhaexpress said:
When I started in IT it was actually called E.A.M. ! For Electric Adding Machines, I kid you not !

80 Column ? You wimp ! 51 Column as well plus those nasty System 3 90 ? column montroseties. Paper tape, disk pacs, 8' floppies (a fairly modern invention) and jolly old tapes yes.

But, ever programmed a patch panel on an IBM 088 Collator ?

51 column? *draws breath and shudders*. I'd heard of those but I always thought it was on Old Programmers' Tale told to frighten us youngsters. What did you do for overpunch codes?

I never worked on patch panel programming, the first machine I wrote a program for was a Burroughs L9000, it was an 'office business machine', and as you say it was the size of a small family car. However it was little more than a glorified typewriter and it had a memory of 8k - this was considered massive! Still it taught you how to write tight code.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Brovian said:
Like Roz I work for myself. I've got an office in the Brighton Business Centre rather than working from home and I just sit and write software for whoever wants it. It's my job and my hobby and I wouldn't swap it for anything and I never want to retire.

I think that's the sort of thing I'd like to do to be honest. I've fed up of IT in the city.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here