Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

hart's shirt

Jul 8, 2003
Kitbag in Dubai
And the winner of the BIG game at Shooting Field tomorrow (Tuesday evening) is at home to Maidstone United. If you fancy some FA Cup football come along to Steyning tomorrow night for the replay with Hadley FC. Details here. It should be a really good game.
Congratulations to Steyning on their 3-2 win against higher tier opponents. Huge game next against 6th tier Maidstone.

Good to see Whitehawk progress too.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Congratulations to Steyning on their 3-2 win against higher tier opponents. Huge game next against 6th tier Maidstone.

Good to see Whitehawk progress too.
Yep well done indeed to Steyning, last night we were due to host them at Horsham YMCA in the SCFL, but the game had to be postponed due to their FA Cup replay.

That Maidstone tie promises to be quite a game.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
An absolutely classic night of FA Cup football at the Shooting Field. Opposition in Hadley FC from a higher step (oldest club in Barnet) hoping that in a replay that will count. Over 250 in attendance. Steyning led three times, but were only pegged back twice. A late penalty settling it.

Next up in the Cup ….. Maidstone at home …… preparations begin! A massive game in the history of the club.

Respect to Kev Green and his coaches Dan Viggers and Danny Wood who have put together an excellent squad. Unbeaten in League and Cups this season.

Up the Barrowmen.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Yep well done indeed to Steyning, last night we were due to host them at Horsham YMCA in the SCFL, but the game had to be postponed due to their FA Cup replay.

Cheers both. The next week could be interesting. I hope the team keep focused for Little Common on Saturday. Behind the scenes will be a lot of head scratching.

Apr 1, 2007
Saltdean

First trip to Newhaven last night to see them play Lingfield...

Wow...3-2 to the visitors, Newhaven dominated but Lingfield effective on the counter. Loads of yellows and a player sin-binned (wtf is that all about?)...

Loads of banter from the fans in the big stand, I thought it might kick off a couple of times...Then one of the Lingfield players who was subbed was doing 'knuckle dragging' impressions walking by the stand and was showered with liquid by a fan...The player then told him to 'keep hold of your shandy you f*cking p**f' :oops:

All this for £7 and the boat came in as well !

To quote Arnie...'I'll be back' :)

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Before the main event last Saturday I watched Burgess Hill v Bognor in the FA Cup. Hill scored once at the start and again just before the final whistle and largely defended for the rest of the game. Great result for Dean Cox, some very ungracious Bognor fans leaving the ground.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Wow...3-2 to the visitors, Newhaven dominated but Lingfield effective on the counter.

Unfortunately they are good at that.

Loads of yellows and a player sin-binned (wtf is that all about?)...
Sin bin has been in place for a couple of seasons now. I believe and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you can only get sin-binned for dissent. Crowborough had their keeper sin-binned earlier in the season. It's not like a sending off where you can sub an outfield player and put another keeper on as in 10 mins the player will be back on.

Loads of banter from the fans in the big stand, I thought it might kick off a couple of times...Then one of the Lingfield players who was subbed was doing 'knuckle dragging' impressions walking by the stand and was showered with liquid by a fan...The player then told him to 'keep hold of your shandy you f*cking p**f' :oops:
Lingfield are probably the most unpleasant side in the league IMO. Lead by their captain who is chief dick head.

S.T.U cgull

Jan 17, 2009
HILLLLLLL
Unfortunately they are good at that.

Sin bin has been in place for a couple of seasons now. I believe and I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong but you can only get sin-binned for dissent. Crowborough had their keeper sin-binned earlier in the season. It's not like a sending off where you can sub an outfield player and put another keeper on as in 10 mins the player will be back on.

Lingfield are probably the most unpleasant side in the league IMO. Lead by their captain who is chief dick head.
Concur with the Lingfield point. Watched them at Hassocks last season and their manager spent the whole game abusing the crowd rather than watch the match…

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
The draw for the second qualifying round of The FA Cup has been made. Sussex sides drawn as follows:

Lancing or Carshalton Athletic v Kingstonian

Ties to be played weekend of 16/09/23
Oooh that brings back memories. I went to see Lancing v Carshalton in the FA Cup in about, um, 1968 I think it was. Lancing went 2-0 up in about the first five minutes, had three penalties, missed them all and lost 2-3! I believe all three were taken by a guy called Mike Smith, who later on, for reasons I never understood (as he'd never been a pro), ended up as the manager of the Welsh national side.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Cheers both. The next week could be interesting. I hope the team keep focused for Little Common on Saturday. Behind the scenes will be a lot of head scratching.
Yep all too easy for players and fans alike go get carried away with success in the cups, and lose concentration for run of the mill league games. I hope that doesn't happen to your guys.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Oooh that brings back memories. I went to see Lancing v Carshalton in the FA Cup in about, um, 1968 I think it was. Lancing went 2-0 up in about the first five minutes, had three penalties, missed them all and lost 2-3! I believe all three were taken by a guy called Mike Smith, who later on, for reasons I never understood (as he'd never been a pro), ended up as the manager of the Welsh national side.
Yes l can remember Mike Smith as manager of Wales, had no idea though that he played non-league football locally.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Surrey team playing Sussex teams every week, maybe an us and them attitude. I think Seaford had an issue with a Surrey team last season in their league, I can’t remember the name of the team.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
Surrey team playing Sussex teams every week, maybe an us and them attitude. I think Seaford had an issue with a Surrey team last season in their league, I can’t remember the name of the team.
Epsom and Ewell, less said about them, the better, permanent chip on their shoulder that they were in that division. Utter W⚓️s

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district

On the subject of YM Cowfold Seagull, in your opinion do you feel Dean Carden is the man to take them forward? I've been to the odd YM game over recent seasons. I understand Dean has a long history with the club as a player/manager.

I occasionally take a glance at YM's results. Seems all rather one step forward and two steps back, season after season.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017

Wow...3-2 to the visitors, Newhaven dominated but Lingfield effective on the counter. Loads of yellows and a player sin-binned (wtf is that all about?)...

All this for £7 and the boat came in as well !

To quote Arnie...'I'll be back' :)
Fort Road has always been a great place for fan banter - almost worth the admission fee alone.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Fort Road has always been a great place for fan banter - almost worth the admission fee alone.
One chap that sits in the top tier of the stand is very vocal, he will shout out something really funny when it’s gone quiet, never any swearing or anything nasty though.
Seemed to be a few loud swearing people at the recent evening match against Little Common, one ground hopper wasn’t impressed.

jackalbion

Aug 30, 2011
One chap that sits in the top tier of the stand is very vocal, he will shout out something really funny when it’s gone quiet, never any swearing or anything nasty though.
Seemed to be a few loud swearing people at the recent evening match against Little Common, one ground hopper wasn’t impressed.

I thought the one in the top tier that night was absolutely superb value. Very entertaining.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here