Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Little Common 2 Shoreham 1. Very boring 1st game back in the scfl prem for Shoreham. How Little Common's ground gets graded to play step 5, I've no idea.
Thought Shoreham were a little disappointing and created very few chances . LC's manager Russell Eldridge usually an outfield player had to step in as keeper and wasn't really tested until added on time when he tipped a goal bound header over the bar .

All 3 goals looked to be down to shoddy defending , still only the first game of a long season , plenty of time for improvement from both sides .

Attachments

• rsz_sh1.jpg
    rsz_sh1.jpg
    241.6 KB · Views: 67
  • rsz_sh2.jpg
    rsz_sh2.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 59
  • rsz_1sh3.jpg
    rsz_1sh3.jpg
    411.6 KB · Views: 47
  • rsz_sh4.jpg
    rsz_sh4.jpg
    198.6 KB · Views: 65

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour
Crowborough 3-1 Saltdean

Entertaining start to the season which the referee tried and failed to spoil. Why are refs informed they are going to be assessed these days? It seems to put them on edge and do everything to the letter of the law and show little common sense.

First half was a decent game. Very competitive and not a lot between the sides. Crowborough probably just about shaded it chance wise as they hit the bar and the keeper made a very good save from a deflected shot. Bang on half time Crowborough went 1 up. I wandered off to get a beer before the half time rush only to see the Saltdean striker go straight up the other end and round the keeper and slot into an empty net. So 1-1 at the break.

Second half Crowborough went back in front straight away. Saltdean tried to play it out from the back. The centre half got caught out by Lucas Murrain who calmly slotted past the keeper. Saltdean then went down to 10 men. Their massive (well tall....think Peter Crouch) centre half who had been booked in the first half was sent off for a second bookable offence. Whilst I don't think he made a bad challenge all game he was consistently committing fouls. He's all arms and legs and very clumsy. Saltdean clearly realised this so they moved him to full back for the second half. It didn't work, the fouls kept happening and he was rightly sent off in my opinion. The game then got a bit scrappy every 50/50 was been given as a foul to whichever team appealed the loudest. I guess the ref was consistent as he was giving them to both sides. Crowborough also went down to 10 men for a while when their goalkeeper was sin binned meaning an outfield player went in goal. Saltdean failed to take any advantage. I don’t think they even had a shot for that 10 minutes.

The new rules on stoppages has obviously filtered down the pyramid as there were 12 minutes of stoppage time which was just enough time for Crowborough to catch them on the break at 90+11 to put the game to bed.

Last edited:

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Nice sunny afternoon watching Hassocks v Eastbourne Town...

Game of two halves Brian, first half crap, second half good (1-1 FT)
I always enjoy my visits to the Beacon when YM play there, one of the more picturesque grounds in the SCFL, and we always receive a warm welcome.

Horsham YMCA were involved in a thrilling encounter with Newhaven yesterday, desp;ite the referee doing his level best to make himself noticed, flashing a red card, and so many yellows that l lost count. Although the Dockers played with only ten men for the majority of the contest, it finished honours even, with YM missing several gilt edged goal scoring chances, Newhaven's keeper putting in an inspired performance too.

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Went to watch Eastbourne Borough v Wombledon yesterday and a 2-0 home win pre season friendly so can't read much into that. Bury FC back at Gigg Lane in front of 5,400 and no doubt that that will fall back somewhat but certainly the Elephant 🐘 in the room of the North West Counties League.

Horsham Gull

H Block Offender
Dec 4, 2006
Horsham
Broadbridge heath 3-0 badshot Lea

a good test for the bears against opposition from the same step as them. Can’t be arsed to write a match report so here’s a picture of a bear

IMG_0842.png

Next up Worthing in the county charity shield at lancing on Wednesday

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Broadbridge heath 3-0 badshot Lea

a good test for the bears against opposition from the same step as them. Can’t be arsed to write a match report so here’s a picture of a bear

View attachment 164285

Next up Worthing in the county charity shield at lancing on Wednesday
Hmmm a tad more fearsome than the team that have taken on their name me thinks. There again l'm more than a little jealous at their new found Isthmian status being a Horsham YMCA man.

Seriously, good luck to them in their new league.

HalfaSeatOn

Mar 17, 2014
North West Sussex
Thought Shoreham were a little disappointing and created very few chances . LC's manager Russell Eldridge usually an outfield player had to step in as keeper and wasn't really tested until added on time when he tipped a goal bound header over the bar .

All 3 goals looked to be down to shoddy defending , still only the first game of a long season , plenty of time for improvement from both sides .
Hole and Crone upfront for LC. Not sure if it’s still the case but they were a goal scoring deadly duo a few seasons back.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
I thought I’d seen it all in non league.

Don’t have an explanation for this one at Dunston UTS v Gateshead.

Believe they were also fully armed with Pistols.

Newhaven lost 4-2 to Seaford as well

Blimey …… back in the day all we got was a brass band.

LANGDON SEAGULL

Dec 9, 2004
Langdon Hills
Went to Eastbourne Town v Faversham in the FA Cup. a strong Kent team ran out 3-1 winners although ETFC had a late rally. Hope the linesman is ok.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here