[Football] The Non-League Football Thread- 2023/24 Edition

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Looking at his social media, seems he's a Hove-based entrepreneur who's possibly been inspired by the Wrexham story to invest in Eastbourne, but whether he's had any links/love for the club before that, I'm not sure. Always hard to say how long the types who immediately pump the kind of money he is putting into the club will stick around for (see Lewes and Whitehawk for what happens for when they do pull the plug).

Re what @Lenny Rider said about Worthing. It will definitely be tougher for us to compete this year given the quality of the sides that have dropped down - can see it being Yeovil and Eastbourne (if it clicks) competing for automatic promotion, but I think challenging for the play-offs should still be the aim.

On paper our squad is better than the one that finished last season, and of the players we thought might leave, only losing Harrison Male is a godsend, and getting Roco Rees in is a great replacement. Says a lot that the likes of Rye and Colbran could probably have taken a little more money to make a step up but are sticking with the project Hinsh has going on. Luer, Luque, Klass, Felix and Wheeler are all good additions - many with experience at this level and in higher leagues - and getting Jesse Starkey and Jake Robinson back are like two new singings themselves. Hopefully Gary Elphick joining the coaching staff helps improve the defensive side of things, as that was where we lacked at times last year.
It‘s certainly going to be an interesting and exciting season at Woodside, but It will almost equally be about how the likes of Yeovil, Torquay, Eastbourne B and Maidstone (all now perceived to be big hitters) perform along with all of last seasons contenders.

To keep the momentum and maintain the interest of the fans Worthing must be in play-off contention from the get go.

Hopefully they can do it?

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Interesting stuff at Eastbourne Borough, my nearest 'big' non-EFL club. I plan to watch them when I can i.e. when Albion aren’t at home.
If l was an Eastbourne resident l would be allying myself to Town or United.

The Saffrons is a wonderful place to watch football . . . or cricket in the summer months come to that.

Eastbourne United, formerly known as the Royal Engineers, are one of the oldest clubs in Sussex l believe.

County League may not be your bag, but l really enjoy the competitiveness and camaradarie of it.

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
If l was an Eastbourne resident l would be allying myself to Town or United.

The Saffrons is a wonderful place to watch football . . . or cricket in the summer months come to that.

Eastbourne United, formerly known as the Royal Engineers, are one of the oldest clubs in Sussex l believe.

County League may not be your bag, but l really enjoy the competitiveness and camaradarie of it.

Fair comment. I should, and will, spread my ticket money around. But hard not to become interested in the possibility of EBFC moving into the National League and even, gulp, beyond. But counting chickens and all that. Numerous clubs at all levels have announced exciting new futures before collapsing again like a badly cooked soufflé.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
This.
I went to The Saffrons football ground for the first time at the end of last season, nice club and ground.
Used to have a couple of dozen ultras that made a lot of noise, however the relationship between the fans and officials was not always cordial. At one point they moved themselves from the covered area near the bar to a scaffold stand they funded themselves, at the other end of the ground. When I went last season there were about six die hard “ultras” and the scaffold stand had been removed.
[Disclaimer: this is my understanding, someone that goes there will know more than me]

In other news, Peacehaven got a very impressive 3-3 draw away at ambitious, FA Vase winning, second promotion on the bounce seeking, Ascot United.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
Used to have a couple of dozen ultras that made a lot of noise, however the relationship between the fans and officials was not always cordial. At one point they moved themselves from the covered area near the bar to a scaffold stand they funded themselves, at the other end of the ground. When I went last season there were about six die hard “ultras” and the scaffold stand had been removed.
[Disclaimer: this is my understanding, someone that goes there will know more than me]

In other news, Peacehaven got a very impressive 3-3 draw away at ambitious, FA Vase winning, second promotion on the bounce seeking, Ascot United.
Didn’t hear any singing from the home fans, just seemed to be a mixture of different ages watching the match.
Definitely a nice feel about the club and the ground was very tidy.

I met Phil Daniels up the road before the match :smile:

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Didn’t hear any singing from the home fans, just seemed to be a mixture of different ages watching the match.

Was Debbie McGee with him?

Not much singing there now, three of them piped up when a goal went in, that was about it.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Yes a very strange one that, there are always a number of Palarse fans wandering around the Saffrons whenever l have been there with Horsham YMCA, it's tantamount to us Albion fans donning the stripes, and watching football at Croydon Athletic.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Fair comment. I should, and will, spread my ticket money around. But hard not to become interested in the possibility of EBFC moving into the National League and even, gulp, beyond. But counting chickens and all that. Numerous clubs at all levels have announced exciting new futures before collapsing again like a badly cooked soufflé.
Borough is still a really nice club and I suspect if Town or United were in the NLS he would have invested in them instead. However, Priory Lane is a fantastic setup and has been for years.

Neil

Eastie
Aug 27, 2010
Langney
Looking at his social media, seems he's a Hove-based entrepreneur who's possibly been inspired by the Wrexham story to invest in Eastbourne, but whether he's had any links/love for the club before that, I'm not sure. Always hard to say how long the types who immediately pump the kind of money he is putting into the club will stick around for (see Lewes and Whitehawk for what happens for when they do pull the plug).

Re what @Lenny Rider said about Worthing. It will definitely be tougher for us to compete this year given the quality of the sides that have dropped down - can see it being Yeovil and Eastbourne (if it clicks) competing for automatic promotion, but I think challenging for the play-offs should still be the aim.

On paper our squad is better than the one that finished last season, and of the players we thought might leave, only losing Harrison Male is a godsend, and getting Roco Rees in is a great replacement. Says a lot that the likes of Rye and Colbran could probably have taken a little more money to make a step up but are sticking with the project Hinsh has going on. Luer, Luque, Klass, Felix and Wheeler are all good additions - many with experience at this level and in higher leagues - and getting Jesse Starkey and Jake Robinson back are like two new singings themselves. Hopefully Gary Elphick joining the coaching staff helps improve the defensive side of things, as that was where we lacked at times last year.
Not like Wrexham as he is going to develop a Langney Sports Village with the land around the stadium owned by Acorn Trust which is part of the club

redoubtable seagull

Oct 27, 2004

Phil Daniels is in Eastbourne quite often. He usually ends up in menswear emporium, Arcade, buying 80s retro or Fred Perry clobber.
And of course he was in town for Blur’s warm up show a few weeks ago.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports