[News] Sycamore Gap Tree

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Thinking these things about someone who is a child in the eyes of the law is genuinely unhinged. Seriously

Most 16 year olds don't cut down trees for "shits and giggles. You're just guessing at his motives and then getting angry at the worst possibilities. All I'm saying is let's wait to know before passing judgement. It'll possibly save you the rage.
No rage, and as you say just guessing. What do you think the motive was ? Kid who did this was ‘one’, not ‘most’ :shrug: :shrug:

Last edited:

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Knowing how difficult it is to kill a sycamore tree I’ll be very surprised if during spring next year that stump doesn’t sprout a number of new shoots.

in this instance, it is fortunate that sycamores are fast growing.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
I wonder if it's possible to glue it back together with some substance and it would still grow as normal. Obviously not.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
No rage, and as you say just guessing. What do you think the motive was ? Kid who did this was ‘one’, not ‘most’ :shrug: :shrug:
It doesn't matter what I speculate his motive was. I'm simply saying until we know what happened and why it's strange for people to talk about putting nails through his balls (not that I think that's normal in anycase).

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
Most 16 year olds don't cut down trees for "shits and giggles. You're just guessing at his motives and then getting angry at the worst possibilities. All I'm saying is let's wait to know before passing judgement. It'll possibly save you the rage.
We don't know if this kid is involved so it's right to say we should wait. OTOH you seem to be making excuses in advance on his behalf. Someone with serious mental health issues couldn't have carried this out. We don't know the extent of his involvement, if any, but it's interesting how some people want to hack him to bits with a chainsaw while others are already preparing speeches about him being a victim of the system or suffering from emotional difficulties that should absolve him of responsibility. Maybe there's a middle path somewhere. Just a thought.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I'd suggest people reign in the hate filled rhetoric towards this kid, at least until more details emerge. Doing something like this is probably not the behaviour of someone who is mentally well.
Apart from anything else it is worth reigning it all in until the actual facts have been uncovered and sentence has been passed.

Innocent until proven guilty and all that.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Really? What happened to him?
Can't remember the details but it was all posted on here. A fair bit of 'oh f***' went on. Have a search, you'll find it all.

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
We don't know if this kid is involved so it's right to say we should wait. OTOH you seem to be making excuses in advance on his behalf. Someone with serious mental health issues couldn't have carried this out. We don't know the extent of his involvement, if any, but it's interesting how some people want to hack him to bits with a chainsaw while others are already preparing speeches about him being a victim of the system or suffering from emotional difficulties that should absolve him of responsibility. Maybe there's a middle path somewhere. Just a thought.
I'm not saying he's absolved of responsibility though. I've never suggested he's a victim or not responsible for his own actions (if they were his actions).

Basically my position is if he did cut down the tree he should be punished appropriately according to his situation. However people probably shouldn't talk about quite literally crucifing a 16 year old. Especially when that person might be innocent or mentally unwell.

Last edited:

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
Really? What happened to him?
I can't remember but thankfully it was nothing to do with the shit he got on here. I think flowers were sent on behalf of NSC. The Jamie thread was my introduction to NSC, it was really funny but went way to far in the end, in my opinion. I felt bad for finding the thread really funny when it was posted that he'd died a couple of years later. He didn't end his own life or anything like that but it's a constant reminder not to say something that you'll feel bad about if your target dies. I feel bad enough for just finding it really funny & I wasn't even a member, let alone a 'poster'. 🤷‍♀️☹️

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
I can't remember but thankfully it was nothing to do with the shit he got on here. I think flowers were sent on behalf of NSC. The Jamie thread was my introduction to NSC, it was really funny but went way to far in the end, in my opinion. I felt bad for finding the thread really funny when it was posted that he'd died a couple of years later. He didn't end his own life or anything like that but it's a constant reminder not to say something that you'll feel bad about if your target dies. I feel bad enough for just finding it really funny & I wasn't even a member, let alone a 'poster'. 🤷‍♀️☹️
the 'Jamie' thread was kinda funny at the time but it also stands as a stark reminder of what happens when that 'pile on' thing starts. As you say it went way too far and shows what happens when the mob mentality hits.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I'm not saying he's absolved of responsibility though. I've never suggested he's a victim or not responsible for his own actions (if they were his actions).

Basically my position is if he did cut down the tree he should be punished appropriately according to his situation. However people probably shouldn't talk about quite literally crucifing a 16 year old. Especially when that person might be innocent or mentally unwell.
If he has committed this crime and pleads diminished responsibility because he has mental issues, would that make it okay?
Presumably, he'd have to be sectioned into a mental hospital to serve any punishment?

Paging @happypig - what sort of sentence tariff might a crime of this nature, if proven, carry?

Ike and Tina Burner

Mar 22, 2019
If he has committed this crime and pleads diminished responsibility because he has mental issues, would that make it okay?
Presumably, he'd have to be sectioned into a mental hospital to serve any punishment?

Paging @happypig - what sort of sentence tariff might a crime of this nature, if proven, carry?
Make what okay? Cutting down the tree or fantasizing about vigilante violence against a 16-year-old? The answer to both is no anyway.

I'm not even saying I think he does have mental issues, I'm just saying the possibility of it (or him being innocent) makes me feel even more uneasy about some of the vitriol posted on here.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
if it was one of the most photographed trees in the world then it would have had hoards of people going there. Its not a leap to think therefore that is is a disgruntled land owner/farmer weas annoyed that his sheep are disturbed/ gates left open/ litter etc.

I don't think Columbo will need to be called in on this one.
What about Miss Maple?

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

Everyone can claim diminished responsibility of sorts. If that’s their defence then they won’t mind being locked up in a lunatic asylum in a straight jacket and padded cell surely? About 10 years should do the trick, but maybe longer depending on etc

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Daily Mail / Telegraph reckon it was someone with a grudge against the National Trust.

I can't work out whether someone in the Mail is wishing to join in the long NSC tradition of puns, or whether this is entirely accidental.

1696065046421.png

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
There was a chap on the radio who has an observatory near by. He said he recently took a photo of the tree with The Aurora in the sky as background, and that he had been trying to get the shot for years. He will certainly get a lot more interest in his picture now. might make a few quid.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports