Brighton
Was it ever in doubt?

Well yes, it was actually when i started to post on this thread lol

Who are Surrey? Come on super Sussex!

:clap: :clap2: :bounce: :drink: :smokin:

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Tony Cottey and Tim Ambrose excelled in a superb fourth-wicket stand of 172 to lead Sussex to a fine six-wicket County Championship win over Essex.

Sussex's fourth victory in five games keeps them 26 points behind leaders Surrey with a game in hand.

Cottey followed his first-innings 107 by compiling 98 and Ambrose made an unbeaten 93 as Sussex, set 256 to win on a slow Arundel wicket, got home with 4.5 overs left.

The pair, who shared a stand of 178 for the same wicket in the first innings, batted with great concentration once more for 55 overs and Cottey struck eight fours in his four-hour stint.

The former Glamorgan batsman was just two short of his third successive century when he pushed forward to pace bowler Jonathan Dakin and edged a catch to wicketkeeper James Foster.

Ambrose went on to compile 11 boundaries in his 214-ball knock and he and Robin Martin-Jenkins (21not out) saw Sussex to their target after Cottey fell with 52 needed.

Dakin, who supplied the initial thrust to have the hosts struggling early on, got through 16 overs to finish with three for 54. Dakin gave Essex an early boost by quickly sending back openers Richard Montgomerie and Murray Goodwin.

Captain Chris Adams also fell to off-spinner James Middlebrook as Sussex stumbled to 43 for three by lunch.

Montgomerie, who has only passed 50 twice in 15 Championship innings, was removed for a single to a catch at the wicket in the second over before Dakin produced a yorker to dismiss Goodwin.

Adams' indifferent form continued as he played his first ball from Middlebrook straight off the bat to Aftab Habib at short leg.

Jason Lewry had earlier grabbed three of the last four Essex wickets to finish with five for 52 for an overall haul of 10 for 134, his best figures for two years.

The visitors, resuming on 254 for six, lost three wickets in the space of 10 balls as they were bowled out for 274 and only resisted for a further 46 minutes.

Lewry struck with his third delivery to have Middlebrook caught at second slip, and overnight partner Ryan ten Doeschate followed in the next over when Mushtaq Ahmed trapped him leg before.

Dakin fell to Lewry for the second time in the match, being bowled by a ball of full length, and the left-arm swing bowler then wrapped things up by bowling last man Scott Brant.

Team Pld W L D Bat Bowl Points
Surrey 9 5 0 4 38 23 147.00
Sussex 8 5 3 0 27 24 121.00
Lancashire 7 2 0 5 27 21 96.00
Middlesex 8 2 0 6 19 21 92.00
Essex 10 1 2 7 18 29 92.00
Warwickshire 9 1 3 5 27 21 83.75
Kent 9 1 4 4 26 26 82.00
Nottinghamshire 8 1 4 3 19 23 67.00
Leicestershire 8 0 2 6 16 21 61.00

Last edited:

BRIGHT ON Q

Jul 5, 2003
I know we won but like i said on day 2 what has happened to Adams?.he must be getting worried about his place in the side.:nono:

Jul 5, 2003
Bristol
adams out adams out!!

well done cottey!! shit for five years and now your fiinally doing something! YOU LITTLE WELSH WIZARD!!

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
A heroic, flukey, astounding win over Slurrey would put us in contention for the championship!!!!!!

WE HATE SLURREY AND WE HATE SLURREY.

Sussex are the only team I love more than Albion, and I WILL be there when we win the championship!!

Yes, I am drunk.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Magnificent win - get in there boys

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
COME ONNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.

BATTING TINMY GET IN SIUSSEXXXX

GREAT STUF:clap2: :clap2:

And we're goign up to win the frizzell county championnship for Sussex by the SEa

All together noeww.:bounce:

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
I was there and what a great day it was. It looked a bit dodgy when Goodwin and Adams fell in quick succession, but Cottey and Ambrose batted superbly, Tucker looked in good nick when he came in too - this is some middle order that we have. I can't believe that Ambrose is just 20, he bats like he's been playing for years: a cert for England in future (Foster's been England wicket-keeper and was rubbish yesterday).

That Surrey match is looking a real biggie now. Booked the Wednesday off work and might book the Friday if it looks exciting.

We won this match without real contribution from Kirtley or Mushy, so it's good to see other people playing their part. The concern is that Monty and Grizzly have scarcely scored a run all season - I suspect that Yardy might get an outing in the Notts game.

Good to see a big crowd at the game as well - lots of kids in their Sussex Sharks tops (saw one in the stripes as well).

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I'm planning on going to day 3 of the Surrey game which is the 1st of August and probably the day we'll beat them by an innings and 300 runs :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here