Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sunderland - possibly fecked

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
On the verge of administration - taken from the BBC Sport site.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cash-strapped Sunderland have asked the Professional Footballers' Assocition to help save the club from going into administration.
Sunderland want the PFA to negotiate with the players to defer their wages because the club cannot afford to pay their exisiting salaries.

Already £30m in debt, Sunderland's financial problems have been exacerbated by their inability to offload high wage earners like Kevin Phillips and disappointing season ticket sales.

PFA chief executive Gordon Taylor told the Sunday Sun newspaper: "We are in talks with Sunderland and are trying to come up with a life-saving package.

"The players have been very considerate in deferring payment of a percentage of their wages in the hope the club can solve its financial problems.

"We are giving the players advice and trying to protect them as well as working with the club.

"We are trying to find a formula to please the bank, suit the football club and which is something the players can cope with.

"There are a number of things in the package and the players will be reimbursed."

Manager Mick McCarthy remain tight-lipped over the PFA's intervention after Sunderland's 4-0 friendly win over Durham City on Saturday.

"That's an issue I can't discuss because I haven't talked to my players about it yet.

"I can't say anything until it's all resolved and everything finalised."

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
_38139138_bobbyrobsonstat300.jpg

"Look, lets all laugh at Sunderland"
:lolol:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
its their own fault, why the f*** did they appoint howard wilkinson?
he bought them Mart Poom(as a cover goalkeeper) for £2.5 Million! 2.5 million, for a cover goalie, when you're about to get relegated and face money troubles, well, whats up with that!(Plus they had 2 perfectly good cover goalies, Jurgen Macho and Thomas Myhre)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I have to go with Bigc on this - all self induced with reckless spending.

Nice picture of Sir Bobby (at Ipswich) Trig

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
isnt it always though beach hut?

they are all guilty, watford(Vialli+stars),bradford(carbone)(,leicester(anyone PT brought in..),coventry(lee hughes 5m),derby(40k a week for fab rav),ipswich(finidi george and friends),leeds(fowler for 12m.....lol)
the list could go on..,

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Afraid so a catalogue of f*** ups at that club which has proved how fickle fans are but they were branded the most loyal - except last season when the stadium was half full.

I don't like to rant but they mortaged their future and it didn't pay off. And as for fecking Howard Wilkinson - comedian yes manager no.

I know Ernie et all slag off Knight but at least he hasn't sold us down the river.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
In fact I will rant:

Howard Wilkinson is "Imcompetus Totalus" when it comes to football management - there are a select few managers within the total football league who are worse than him.

He can only have become FA Technical Director through some "jobs for the boys" scam.

As soon as he was appointed at Sunderland you could almost hear the laughter.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
i loved his comments about kevin phillips going from golden boot to rubber wellie

i just laughed, and thought, poor poor sunderland.

he did save us though back in 1993 with the Mark Beeney purchase:clap:

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Legend has it that SAFC chairman Bob Murray went to Howard Wilkinson to ask his opinion on hiring Mick McCarthy when Reid left. Sgt Wilko replied: "Sod him, I'm your man, Bob" (or words to that effect) and was given the job!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Beach Hut said:
In fact I will rant:

Howard Wilkinson is "Imcompetus Totalus" when it comes to football management - there are a select few managers within the total football league who are worse than him.

He can only have become FA Technical Director through some "jobs for the boys" scam.

As soon as he was appointed at Sunderland you could almost hear the laughter.

is he in the select group with John Gregory and Terry Venables?

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Agree on Gregory, not Venales though.

I'd class Nicky Law in the same league

Wilts

Jul 5, 2003
Bournemouth/Reading
I believe Tommy Burns also applied for membership to the select group. He was turned down for being just too shit.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
how about O'Leary? we shall see(at aston villa)

Venables should have called it a day pre-leeds, that was a job too far

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Agreed Leeds was a job too far.

I think O'Leary was actually doing OK but you could tell he was under huge pressure to deliver at the time.

Another extemely poor manger is Hoddle - reckon he'll be the first Premiersh1te casualty next season.

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
yeah. i didnt see how he became england manager. best finish with chelsea...11th? go figure:eek:

I think Dave Jones will go in the under-rated catergory

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Dave Jones was treated like sh1te by Rupert Lowe at Southampton - very bad deal.

I hope Wolves have a couple of good seasons, if anyone deserves success it's Dave Jones after what he's been through.

berkshire seagull

Jul 5, 2003
reading
Beach Hut said:
Afraid so a catalogue of f*** ups at that club which has proved how fickle fans are but they were branded the most loyal - except last season when the stadium was half full.

I don't like to rant but they mortaged their future and it didn't pay off. And as for fecking Howard Wilkinson - comedian yes manager no.

I know Ernie et all slag off Knight but at least he hasn't sold us down the river.
Yeah but we don't have anything to sell mmmm!:smokin: :drink: :drink: :ohmy:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here