Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Travel] Sun £9.50 holidays

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Not sure whether you've considered it, but you can get a ferry from Portsmouth direct to Saint Malo. It's about 9 hours, but pretty comfortable, less driving French side and no toll roads. I have done it, and it is just about bearable, if you take a bumper edition sudoku book!

I looked at that but it is double the price of Newhaven to Dieppe plus Portsmoth is double the distance nearly than from Haywards Heath to Newhaven.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Not sure whether you've considered it, but you can get a ferry from Portsmouth direct to Saint Malo. It's about 9 hours, but pretty comfortable, less driving French side and no toll roads. I have done it, and it is just about bearable, if you take a bumper edition sudoku book!

We did that a couple of years ago to go down to the Vendée, booking a cabin on an overnight crossing. The lightest of swells kept my wife up, on-edge, all night, so it's a 'never again' and back to Cornwall for us...

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We did that a couple of years ago to go down to the Vendée, booking a cabin on an overnight crossing. The lightest of swells kept my wife up, on-edge, all night, so it's a 'never again' for us. Back to Cornwall for us...

We go to the Vendee but use the Tunnel. The drive is part of the holiday.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
We did that a couple of years ago to go down to the Vendée, booking a cabin on an overnight crossing. The lightest of swells kept my wife up, on-edge, all night, so it's a 'never again' and back to Cornwall for us...
My missus was a bit delirious by the end of the return trip! I remember getting the ferry in winter once, when Dinard Airport had frozen up, that was a bit grim. Made worse by watching Blatter and co on the telly announcing Russia and Qatar as World Cup hosts

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
£9.50? The Sun newspaper? Brittany? Poor people? BensGrandad? Sounds ****ing ghastly. I’m in.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I just googled it and the answer given was that it is unlikely that we will have left Europe until at least October so this summer will not be affected

Oh we won't have fully disentangled ourselves from the EU and sorted out the ongoing relationship for years and years - hence why "Get Brexit Done" was a pretty obvious lie that sadly lots of people fell for.

However, Brexit does begin this January - so certain rules will be changed in the transition period.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
The vouchers started in the paper yesterday so am looking at a 4 day break in Brittany. Has anybody any been there and have knowledge of what it is like. We need a quiet place with shops, restaurants and bars not disco type bars.

Went on one 20 years ago with the kids to Camber Sands, always considered myself working class but after 5 days at Pontins, I thought I might be descended from the House of Windsor :)

BG don't give us all this pensioner spiel, you've got the dough, take Mrs L to France on a bigger budget...………..

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014
Guardian readers even rarer than Financial Times readers? I never realised they were such a tiny minority! You wouldn't think that from reading NSC.
That's just copies sold. The Guardian is arguably the second most read newspaper in the country after the Mail with 42 million unique readers each month online (admittedly not all in the UK).

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Went on one 20 years ago with the kids to Camber Sands, always considered myself working class but after 5 days at Pontins, I thought I might be descended from the House of Windsor :)

BG don't give us all this pensioner spiel, you've got the dough, take Mrs L to France on a bigger budget...………..

Times are hard so much so that if I leave I couldnt afford you!! or any other firm

Palacefinder General

Apr 5, 2019
Don't worry Brian, you're on my friends and family list.

For £9:50 you’ll open up Belotti’s urn and chuck BG’s ashes in on top?! :ohmy: It’ll be akin to the opening of the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark, banshee like DB apparitions floating off down towards the Old Shoreham Road.

Driver8

On the road...
NSC Patron
Jul 31, 2005
North Wales
For £9:50 you’ll open up Belotti’s urn and chuck BG’s ashes in on top?! :ohmy: It’ll be akin to the opening of the Ark of the Covenant in Raiders of the Lost Ark, banshee like DB apparitions floating off down towards the Old Shoreham Road.

Hopefully Belotti’s ashes were scattered in the Amex urinals.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
We're looking at staying south of Paris for a few days in October, then heading down to Bordeaux to see some French friends. That's an 8 1/2 hour drive back to Calais, not avoiding tolls. Not looking forward to that one...

I did Bordeaux to Dieppe non-stop [bar fuel] on a Yamaha LC350 circa early 80's - buzzing at 80-90 mph most of the way - think it took me 5 hours. Up against the clock as I daren't miss the ferry ....

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
Here’s an interesting article regarding news stats.....

https://whatsnewinpublishing.com/how-people-in-the-uk-are-accessing-news-6-key-findings

When you combine both in print and online readership The Mail and Guardian are quite far ahead of the others. The Sun is still the most widely read tabloid and I find it interesting that a far higher percentage of its readers prefer to read the paper in print rather than online. I suppose this is because chimpanzees find it difficult using a computer keyboard and mouse.

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
. The Sun is still the most widely read tabloid and I find it interesting that a far higher percentage of its readers prefer to read the paper in print rather than online. I suppose this is because chimpanzees find it difficult using a computer keyboard and mouse.
An iPad trends to slide around on top of a Transit dashboard.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here