[Politics] Stop the boats

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I'm not disagreeing with anything you write about the day to day life of most Rwandans (I haven't been), but we really have gone through the looking glass when a sincere attempt to improve people's perception of a country features lines like
But during the intervening periods between the genocide and the multiple fatality incidents, Rwandan society is incredibly tolerant, peaceful, safe and positive.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Just to be clear, I am 100% against our gov’s Rwanda policy. My gripe is that Rwanda as a country and people are being tarnished by default. Rwanda is very safe for visitors and for people’s day to day life. The security/safety risks come from rebel incursions from Congo and Burundi and there have been some multiple fatality incidents since the genocide.
My experience of Rwanda, their people and their society is incredibly tolerant, peaceful, safe and positive.
I’ll leave it there but I think we are all in agreement that our gov’s attempt at forced deportations is simply wrong.
Cheers.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Sorry but you can blame the Tories. If they operated save and legal routes for migrants, either processing them overseas before they came, or by speedily processing the thousands here already, (sorry to tell you that's Labour Party policy), then there would be no need for migrants to throw their life savings at people smugglers.

So yes its very much the Tories fault!
If there were copious safe and legal routes for people to get here, people smugglers would probably still persuade people that there weren’t and would still operate the small boats.

I’m involved in a benefits advice centre in Southampton, About 10 years ago somebody escaped from a “modern slavery “ house in the city and got to the centre to find out what they could do. They, and everyone else in the house, were Portuguese, therefore European Union People and here totally legally.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

So the net impact on immigration figures of the scheme which will definitely, definitely end all these boat crossings according to the Government is...+6?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
So the net impact on immigration figures of the scheme which will definitely, definitely end all these boat crossings according to the Government is...+6?

At £40M per head for us to process their asylum seekers. Going well isn't it :facepalm:

abc

Jan 6, 2007
But during the intervening periods between the genocide and the multiple fatality incidents, Rwandan society is incredibly tolerant, peaceful, safe and positive.
You continue to miss the point. These incidents are caused by rebels crossing the border intent on continuing the genocide and destroying the peace of Rwanda. Rwandan society is how I have described it. Do you say our society is unsafe because of terrorist attacks in the Uk?

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
You continue to miss the point. These incidents are caused by rebels crossing the border intent on continuing the genocide and destroying the peace of Rwanda. Rwandan society is how I have described it. Do you say our society is unsafe because of terrorist attacks in the Uk?

Well the fact that the UK Government have granted Asylum to 6 Rwandans since the deal was signed means that the UK Government don't consider Rwanda to be safe, even though they then tried to prove to the British Judiciary that Rwanda was safe in order to push ahead with their plan, and the British Courts ultimately disagreed that it was safe. In the next installment ................ :dunce:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I don't miss the point at all. I respect your opinion and knowledge of Rwanda, but you are wrong when you claim Rwanda to be safe. It patently isn't. If rebels cross the border intent on continuing genocide, then Rwanda is not safe! What needs to happen before you concede that it is unsafe? I'm not apportioning blame by the way. I don't know enough about the continuing conflict. I'm saying the country is not safe. Trying to counter that statement with a question about terrorist attacks in the UK is an irrelevant tangent that I will not partake in.

Previously you said 'Not sure why a Rwandan would need asylum though.' Given that the UK have taken in six asylum seekers from Rwanda, perhaps you will have the opportunity to ask them and find out.

T.G

Mar 30, 2011
Shoreham-by-Sea
I think you'll find that it wasn't the Tories that organised the boat and charged people their life savings for a place on it, or arranged for it to be so overloaded it sank. I also think you'll find that the Tories have been trying (not very successfully it's true) to find ways to stop criminal gangs in France selling places on unsafe and illegal boats.

But maybe you don't want to find these things. Whatever, your chances of getting a job as a sub-editor would appear to be zero based on this example of your work!

Yes, there are many things to blame the Tories for (and plenty of threads on NSC where you can do it!) but this isn't one of them.

Ignoring of course that Tory policies such as not processing asylum claims, not co cooperating with the French, Brexit have all exacerbated the problem. Their attempts to fix the issue by punishing the poor souls trying to get here is just a sop to their racist or terrified support!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
To end on a less contentious ‘how far we have come’ note….. I have yet to meet a Rwandan who doesn’t support Man U, Arsenal or Chelsea. But they all know and genuinely admire Brighton and our set up Can you imagine that not so long ago?!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I don't miss the point at all. I respect your opinion and knowledge of Rwanda, but you are wrong when you claim Rwanda to be safe. It patently isn't. If rebels cross the border intent on continuing genocide, then Rwanda is not safe! What needs to happen before you concede that it is unsafe? I'm not apportioning blame by the way. I don't know enough about the continuing conflict. I'm saying the country is not safe. Trying to counter that statement with a question about terrorist attacks in the UK is an irrelevant tangent that I will not partake in.

Previously you said 'Not sure why a Rwandan would need asylum though.' Given that the UK have taken in six asylum seekers from Rwanda, perhaps you will have the opportunity to ask them and find out.
On the latter point I will. Until this thread I don’t know we took Rwandan asylum seekers at all.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
On the latter point I will. Until this thread I don’t know we took Rwandan asylum seekers at all.
We were sold the Rwandan plan as Britain taking their asylum seekers, and them taking ours, but conveniently the former was forgotten and the gammonati focused on ’getting rid of our illegals’.
Millions and millions has been wasted on this terrible policy.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
That's as much as I could expect. It will be interesting to find out their reasons. I would hope that some checks on them have been taken at our end, but my expectations are low.

I can imagine Rwanda jumping at the chance to offload those it sees as undesirable, and on our side, doing a less-than-thorough check on them, to ensure the bilateral agreement runs smoothly in the run up to a general election.

Reactions: abc

abc

Jan 6, 2007
That's as much as I could expect. It will be interesting to find out their reasons. I would hope that some checks on them have been taken at our end, but my expectations are low.

I can imagine Rwanda jumping at the chance to offload those it sees as undesirable, and on our side, doing a less-than-thorough check on them, to ensure the bilateral agreement runs smoothly in the run up to a general election.
It does seem ironic that we want to offload asylum seekers to one country and then take some back from the same country. Another reason why the whole policy is a total sham.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

I think your obvious fondness for the county may be clouding your judgment.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports