Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Songs where the most recognised/famous version was covered by others before them

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Speaking of Russ Ballard and Rainbow:

I disagree, possibly because they're the first versions I heard, possibly because I fear the wrath of @Kosh , but for me Blackmore's versions of both are the best.

I heard Clout's version first. Maybe that's why I prefer it to Rainbow's. Maybe.........

TBH, I'd never come across the Russ Ballard original until I googled the song before posting (just to check the Clout's version did predate Rainbow's). Starting to feel it may be the best of the three now - there's something about someone performing their own song with feeling.

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
Should have added written as well as covered in the thread title.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
A Racey B Side before it was rejigged by the choreographer and 'Easy Rider' star. I distinctly remember that the first time I saw the video for Basil's version was on the comedy sketch show 'Three of a Kind' (Tracey Ullman, Lenny Henry and David (No not that one and definitely not that one) Copperfield.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
In a similar vein to Russ Ballard, Tommy James and the Shondells were responsible for the original and best versions of Tiffany's:

Billy Idol's

and Joan Jett's

Their greatest hits album is well worth having. Incidentally, their producer Richie Cordell who wrote 'I Think We're Alone Now', was probably in the right place to recommend 'Crimson & Clover' to the Blackhearts because he also co-produced Joan Jett's cover of The Arrows'

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
Speaking of Russ Ballard and Rainbow:

I disagree, possibly because they're the first versions I heard, possibly because I fear the wrath of @Kosh , but for me Blackmore's versions of both are the best.

lol - naturally I concur 👍 as so does my Strat.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here