Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Well, I suppose if you're going to occupy someone else's land, then this is to be expected.
This is on you Putin, you c**t.

Donetsk: Deadly blast hits market in Russia-held Ukraine city, officials say​

I wouldn't be at all surprised if this attack was carried out by Russia, with the aim of turning world opinion against Ukraine, and stop the flow of western weapons, which Russia regards as grossly unfair.

With no regard for the sanctity of human life, with murder, rape, torture and child abduction in their repertoire, accusing Ukraine of their own atrocities would just be a continuation of the behaviour that has characterised Russia so far.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I wouldn't be at all surprised if this attack was carried out by Russia, with the aim of turning world opinion against Ukraine, and stop the flow of western weapons, which Russia regards as grossly unfair.

With no regard for the sanctity of human life, with murder, rape, torture and child abduction in their repertoire, accusing Ukraine of their own atrocities would just be a continuation of the behaviour that has characterised Russia so far.
So many atrocities by Russia, they have bombed/shelled hospitals, universities, shopping malls, railway stations and theatres, its very difficult to have any sort of sympathy when it happens to them.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

Absolutely...we know they were proven to have bombed Moscow apartments years back to justify their invasion of Chechnya (IIRC ??).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I was reading the comments on this BBC report about the A-50 spy plane getting shot down:

One comment, from 'Itwasme' at 12:51 15 Jan reads:

'For a reconnaissance plane, they didn’t see that coming!'

Top post! :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Interesting update from Denys Davydov, especially first half of vlog. He covers:
- more detail on the oil terminal 'near' St Petersburg hit recently
- info on the oil tankers evacuated from the burning harbour and the next destination for one (Netherlands); he then talks about how Russian oil is still getting to the West
- update on the fighting near Avdiivka and the high relative losses for Russia versus Ukraine's
- info on Ukraine constructing their own defensive lines now near Donetsk Oblast front line, to protect from possible renewed attacks from Russia

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Interesting update from Denys Davydov, especially first half of vlog. He covers:
- more detail on the oil terminal 'near' St Petersburg hit recently
- info on the oil tankers evacuated from the burning harbour and the next destination for one (Netherlands); he then talks about how Russian oil is still getting to the West
- update on the fighting near Avdiivka and the high relative losses for Russia versus Ukraine's
- info on Ukraine constructing their own defensive lines now near Donetsk Oblast front line, to protect from possible renewed attacks from Russia

I'll watch it later - thanks. (y)

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Can't vouch for this, but...:

So that'll include many expensive apartments and mansions in London, plus most NY taxi drivers then.

East Germany and Poland was never part of Soviet Union and i doubt Russian was spoken formally. the notion seems far fetched and i dont see any other claim about this law. there is something about Putin directing officals to document Russian assets abroad though. if Russians, Russian or Soviet state owns some assets or land abroad, i'm sure its properly registered and honoured in those states, unlike foreign assets in Russia.

Sid and the Sharknados

NSC Patron
Sep 4, 2022
Darlington
East Germany and Poland was never part of Soviet Union and i doubt Russian was spoken formally. the notion seems far fetched and i dont see any other claim about this law. there is something about Putin directing officals to document Russian assets abroad though. if Russians, Russian or Soviet state owns some assets or land abroad, i'm sure its properly registered and honoured in those states, unlike foreign assets in Russia.
The whole thing sounds like nonsense, but as far as the territories listed are concerned that list includes the territories once part of the Russian Empire, which did include large areas of Poland including Warsaw.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
The whole thing sounds like nonsense, but as far as the territories listed are concerned that list includes the territories once part of the Russian Empire, which did include large areas of Poland including Warsaw.
Definitely- but then Putin is more than ‘just’ an imperialist looking to restore the USSR, I think he sees himself as a Czar!

With a Polish Grandfather from Warsaw and an Austrian Grandmother born in Ukraine, my knowledge of Eastern European history isn’t as good as it should be but roughly speaking: Poland had independence in 1918 - that is, after fighting Russian Empire expansion and occupation from the 1700s (and Sweden’s) when Poland effectively became a de facto protectorate of the Russia Empire. The cultural identity of Poland was all but ‘ethically cleansed’ and Warsaw become the 3rd largest city in the Russian Empire. Germany moved into Warsaw at the outbreak of WW1 and pushed the Russian Army back but then left soon later in 1918 when Poland became independent. Russian troops moved back in to ‘liberate’ Warsaw from the Nazis in WW2 and occupied the partitioned areas of Warsaw and proclaimed Poland to be a republic under communist rule - that is, until the 1980s when Lech Walesa‘s Solidarity movement resulted in Poland becoming the first democratic country in the Soviet bloc with free elections. The rest is history.

Ukraine’s traumatic history is just as complicated - surrounded by countries/empires wanting to expand their territories, resulting in horrific massacres and repeated destruction of Ukranian infrastructure. My Grandmother was born in a part of Western Ukraine under Austrian rule until the collapse of Austro-Hungarian empire in 1918 when the family moved to Vienna - Like Poland, Ukranians have been subject to persecution throughout their history in the struggle for independence.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that Ukrainians should be fighting so hard now to hang on to her sovereign territory - to suggest she concedes any of it to Russia’s illegal war and brutality, fails to understand the historical struggle of her people and how much blood, sweat and tears were shed to gain her current independence.

Last edited:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So, Russia calls a meeting of the UN Security Council to protest about the west supplying arms to Ukraine. You really couldn’t make it up!
If only there was a really easy answer which would mean the west didn’t have to keep giving Ukraine weapons…

Will Smith Reaction GIF

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here