Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I also came across this article this morning.

'Russia-Ukraine war live: ‘Agreement signed’ for naval base in Abkhazia'

Is this a tacit admission that Sevastopol is no longer tenable as the main Russian naval base in the Black Sea?
Here's some more info on Russia's recent movement of naval vessels.

Yes Chef

Apr 11, 2016
In the kitchen
Unfortunately the current events in the Middle East have taken the worlds eyes off what is happening in Ukraine. Russia will be very pleased but we must not forget this conflict.
My suspicious nature thinks Putin/Russia with their Iranian links will have had at least prior knowledge of this, if not a direct hand. They will welcome any diversion.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
My suspicious nature thinks Putin/Russia with their Iranian links will have had at least prior knowledge of this, if not a direct hand. They will welcome any diversion.
Russian ties to Hamas are closer than we think

“There’s as yet no evidence that Russia knew of the impending attack, although it has fostered ties with Hamas. In March, Hamas reportedly sent a high-level delegation to Russia and held talks with Russian Foreign Minister Sergey Lavrov, warning the Kremlin that the group’s “patience” with Israel was “running out.” Senior Hamas figures also visited Russia in May and September 2022. The group has said its attack was supported by Iran and other countries but did not name them.”

“Sergey Mardan, one of Russia’s best-known propagandists said …This mess is beneficial for Russia, because the globalist toad will be distracted from Ukraine and will get busy trying to put out the eternal Middle Eastern fire.” Mardan explained, “Iran is our real military ally. Israel is an ally of the United States. Therefore, choosing a side is easy!”

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I can't get my head around something: there are very many Russian jews that live and work in Israel, mainly professionals (doctors, dentists etc). Russia supports Iran that hates Israel and supports Hamas. Hamas visits Russia. Russian propagandists delight in Israeli deaths. Feels like Russia disowns Russian jews that moved to Israel...and maybe that's it (?).

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I can't get my head around something: there are very many Russian jews that live and work in Israel, mainly professionals (doctors, dentists etc). Russia supports Iran that hates Israel and supports Hamas. Hamas visits Russia. Russian propagandists delight in Israeli deaths. Feels like Russia disowns Russian jews that moved to Israel...and maybe that's it (?).
I read an article a few days ago, which I now can't find, that said Israel - quite rightly - didn't support Putin's theory of Ukraine being full of nazis. This has angered Putin, and the narrative from Moscow is now reflecting that anger.

The following is speculation, and is not based on any evidence.

From the Russia-Ukraine war perspective, I'm not at all convinced that Israelis dying is the good news that Russia is celebrating. Israel has already said it is at war. If Iran joins the war, which is at least possible, then it will be an existential war between Israel and Iran, in which case, Iran will need all the arms it can muster, and the supply of Iranian arms to Russia could be curtailed.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I read an article a few days ago, which I now can't find, that said Israel - quite rightly - didn't support Putin's theory of Ukraine being full of nazis. This has angered Putin, and the narrative from Moscow is now reflecting that anger.

The following is speculation, and is not based on any evidence.

From the Russia-Ukraine war perspective, I'm not at all convinced that Israelis dying is the good news that Russia is celebrating. Israel has already said it is at war. If Iran joins the war, which is at least possible, then it will be an existential war between Israel and Iran, in which case, Iran will need all the arms it can muster, and the supply of Iranian arms to Russia could be curtailed.
Yes it's thought provoking. I think Russia would even advise Iran to hold back, partly for the arms reason you give.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This is day 600 of the war that was supposed to only take a few days.

For me, the key turning point was just after Russia had taken control of Hostomel Airport. They then failed to keep it. If they had done so, it would have allowed them to fly in troops and equipment en masse, instead of having to rely on the convoy that never even reached Kyiv at all. Russia became the laughing stock of the world.

Today, Russia is trapped in a war it cannot win, killed tens of thousands, blown up a dam, abducted children, is crippled by sanctions, decimated its industry, lost trading partners, killed or silenced all dissent, and is celebrating the Israel/Gaza issue, on the assumption that it will lead to war fatigue in the west.

That's how far Russia has fallen. Let's not feel down because the war is continuing. Every day, Russia gets a little weaker.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014

For me, the key turning point was just after Russia had taken control of Hostomel Airport. They then failed to keep it. If they had done so, it would have allowed them to fly in troops and equipment en masse, instead of having to rely on the convoy that never even reached Kyiv at all. Russia became the laughing stock of the world.

Today, Russia is trapped in a war it cannot win, killed tens of thousands, blown up a dam, abducted children, is crippled by sanctions, decimated its industry, lost trading partners, killed or silenced all dissent, and is celebrating the Israel/Gaza issue, on the assumption that it will lead to war fatigue in the west.

That's how far Russia has fallen. Let's not feel down because the war is continuing. Every day, Russia gets a little weaker.
And Putin nears his demise with every second that passes.

Reactions: A1X

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

And in fact the Russian invaders can just drive east and go home, ending the war and ending the killing.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
The state of the domestic Russian economy is not getting any main TV news coverage but the stuff Putin is having to deal with is alarming.

Last month Russian increased interest rates to 13% but inflation is still 7.5%, the rouble is at an 18-month low, capital controls are being imposed forcing Russian exporters to use Russian banks and trade their foreign currency back to Russia.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here