Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
Slightly off-topic.
What's happening with the International Space Station these days?

If memory serves, the only way to get there [and back] was via a Russian rocket - have missions ceased?
Or is there a space exploration pact that keeps this show on the road?
The Russians keep threatening to walk away and don’t…typical…but it’s all still ongoing as was, for the most part, although obv a little strained! There was a recent incident of the Russian astronauts wearing yellow and blue space suits for example, which obv didn’t go down well.

The tricky thing is that a big chunk of the station is Russian owned and very necessary to the whole stations overall functionality and the Russians have threatened to de orbit it etc and ultimately now want to make their own, with China potentially, as well as concur the moon obv, like everyone else.

Although their recent attempt to land a probe on the moon in the last week or so failed. Costing them Billions, having taken years of planning!

The space race is very much back on again with countries inc China now too and private companies wanting to establish a permanent presence up there and stake claim to the potential resources.

China have their own station now too BTW. (Tiangong.)

There is an agreement that precludes any conflict or disagreement on the earth if that makes sense which helps avoid any friction to a degree.

The answer to your original question though however is ‘Elon.’

SpaceX has been sending astronauts and cargo/provisions to and from the ISS for a few years now. From US soil for considerably less than the Russians were charging. The seventh manned mission is due to go up soon and will actually have a cosmonaut on board.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Exactly this IMO too.
Any Wagner uprising will be swiftly dealt with, or a deal (to be reneged upon) made with any stupid new leaders.
I suspect Surovikhin may contract an illness soon, and be cared for by their excellent health services.
Oh, they'll take care of him all right. Tea and biscuits are complementary as well.

In some ways, Russia and Chelsea are similar, in that they've both had a good clear out.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Apologies if fixtures... Ukraine's 'special operation' landed on Crimea and skirmished with Russian troops. Just brilliant, they will hopefully make Russian citizens even more nervous about being there.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Ukrainian independence day today.

And whilst NSC is universally pro Ukraine, I don't think there's been many wars in my lifetime with such clear lines of good v evil. With such inspiration and courage v such sickening atrocity and cowardice.

If you have 12 mins, Zelensky independence day address embodies that inspiration and courage in the face of such evil. What a war time leader.

Wow... I have some irritation in my eyes 😢. What. A. Speech.....What. A.Leader

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I agree that Forbes can be good. I'm not sure which report you intended to link to, but this one is top of the results list:

But further down is an interesting report from Reuters, containing lots of facts and figures:

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Here's an extraordinary report from CNN. Ukraine hopes to scale it up, and I wouldn't put it past them !

“We were able to find the right approach to the man,” he told the news outlet.

“We were able to create conditions to get his whole family out undetected, and eventually create the conditions so that he could take over this aircraft with a crew that did not know what was happening.

“Two more people were with him - a full crew of three persons in total. When they realized where they had landed, they tried to escape. Unfortunately, they were eliminated. We would prefer (to take) them alive, but it is what it is.

So THAT'S where he's gone since Chelsea?!?!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

“We were able to create conditions to get his whole family out undetected, and eventually create the conditions so that he could take over this aircraft with a crew that did not know what was happening.

“Two more people were with him - a full crew of three persons in total. When they realized where they had landed, they tried to escape. Unfortunately, they were eliminated. We would prefer (to take) them alive, but it is what it is.

Yes, I saw that as well. Either Potter is giving emotional intelligence training to Ukraine troops, or Budanov is a football fan.

As an aside, we - may (and I appreciate it is wishful thinking) - be witnessing the beginning of the collapse of Russia.

The Ruble and the economy are on life support, Prigozhin is killed, a helicopter pilot defects, Wagner vows to fight to the bitter end, Russia desperate to defend its beloved Crimea.....

I just hope it doesn't interfere with the West Ham game.

My tip: keep an eye on flight radar from Moscow to the Urals.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Those fellas needed a history lesson about what happens when prisoners of war try to escape

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Can we have a ‘Whose winning’ this war in terms an idiot like myself can understand. If it’s not in bad taste give it to me in a football analogy
I know The Ukraine went 1-0 down early on.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Can we have a ‘Whose winning’ this war in terms an idiot like myself can understand. If it’s not in bad taste give it to me in a football analogy
I know The Ukraine went 1-0 down early on.
It is in bad taste. So no football analogy.

There are positive signs that Ukraine can overcome them in time, but the bloodshed involved is horrific and sadly will continue to be so for some time

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here