Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think most of us expected to Kyiv to fall within a week of the invasion. I think the fact that the brave and resilient Ukrainians stopped the advance, then routed the Russians in Kharkiv was nothing short of amazing. I think maybe some kneejerk politicians looking for updates to fill the 24 hour news maybe a little frustrated. But I also think that the vast majority of people who delve a bit behind the headlines, and experienced military people would have been equally amazed if an army, with no air superiority, albeit well-equipped attacking head-on to vastly deep, mined and well-constructed defensive lines, had achieved a rapid breakthrough. I believe they will break through eventually, and I am also confident that the poorly motivated Russian conscripts won't be so keen on keeping up the fight subsequently.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I think we'll see some more 'accidental incursions' into Poland...just to test the reaction of NATO.
Just a thought. When pri*kin and his cronies eventually ack. that they're doomed, they'll have nothing to lose by doing
things like this.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I think we'll see some more 'accidental incursions' into Poland...just to test the reaction of NATO.
Indeed. Putin acts on weakness. He probes and pushes until he is fairly certain he can act with impunity.

He did this with the Ukraine border.

I have heard an ex General positing that for this exact reason, there should have been a far sterner international response to Putin building up forces by the Ukraine border.

I don’t know how true that is but I think he’s right about Putin testing for weak spots.

JamesAndTheGiantHead

Sep 2, 2011
Worthing
Just had a 'breaking news' pop up from the BBC. Fires in Moscow.
IMG_6976.jpeg

Their cigarettes are getting bigger.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
View attachment 164709

Their cigarettes are getting bigger.
That looks like the 'optics factory' that went up yesterday.

Here's a link to the fire last night. This one is at Domodedovo. A car shop this time. Another day, another fire. Shit happens.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

I wouldn't believe Russias official explanation of "illegal.immigrants" working there doing it, and the plant director getting nicked and interrogated is a propaganda stunt for domestic narrative.

Russia is fabricating alternative reasons for all incidents inside Russia, where its always an accident, as the perception of the war coming to citizens doors and loss of stability is a major threat to Putins regime.

Almost certainly this military optics plant also made or stored Artillery shells as theyre sprayed around local neighbourhoods after blast, almost certainly some kind of drone/rocket sounds feintly audible in clip just prior to huge explosion.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I read on BBC that Russia is now pinning additional crimes on returning Wagner troops, after having given them full pardons if they joined up to fight Ukraine. If Prigozhin is still alive, and if this breaches whatever ‘agreement’ he made, then I can imagine a fair few angry Wagner people, maybe making a return trip to see Vlad.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Military issues aside, I read today the good news that the Ruble has devalued significantly against all major currencies - no great surprise I suppose. However, it was surprising to hear that inflation in Russia is lower than all major economies: if you believe their numbers!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here