Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
This is thought provoking.

I don't know the actual practicalities but it may be that blowing the dam has made the nuclear power plant way easier to recapture.

Thanks. An interesting silver lining possibility to the blowing of the dam.
Still, retaking the power station will include many risks... I don't think Russia would give it up easily. That's war though.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Sky's latest report has a couple of interesting articles:

1. Wagner defies Putin's orders.
2. How Putin will likely be replaced, according to an expert.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Sky's latest report has a couple of interesting articles:

1. Wagner defies Putin's orders.
2. How Putin will likely be replaced, according to an expert.

Re Wagner, I think they'll sort out the compensation thingy (probably rarely paid anyway) and Wagner will stay independent. I imagine it will amuse Putin for quite some time to watch Prigozhin and Shoigu fight it out.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Re Wagner, I think they'll sort out the compensation thingy (probably rarely paid anyway) and Wagner will stay independent. I imagine it will amuse Putin for quite some time to watch Prigozhin and Shoigu fight it out.
A small part of me still wonders if it is all some kind of elaborate deception. I guess we will find out on 1 July, the deadline by which all Wagner combatants are obliged to sign a contract. We will see.

The Russian elite have such a strange culture (I use the term loosely), characterised by posturing, misplaced arrogance, threats (veiled or explicit), alongside deception, lies, disguise, exaggeration, distraction, obfuscation etc. I wonder if it crosses any of their minds how damaging it is to generations of ordinary future Russians who will follow in their footsteps and try to make their way in this globalised, interconnected world. I'm not at all sure it does. Their ignorance leads them to judge everyone by their own low standards of behaviour, including the westerners they will need to trade with. It will be fascinating to see what emerges post-Putin.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
A small part of me still wonders if it is all some kind of elaborate deception. I guess we will find out on 1 July, the deadline by which all Wagner combatants are obliged to sign a contract. We will see.

The Russian elite have such a strange culture (I use the term loosely), characterised by posturing, misplaced arrogance, threats (veiled or explicit), alongside deception, lies, disguise, exaggeration, distraction, obfuscation etc. I wonder if it crosses any of their minds how damaging it is to generations of ordinary future Russians who will follow in their footsteps and try to make their way in this globalised, interconnected world. I'm not at all sure it does. Their ignorance leads them to judge everyone by their own low standards of behaviour, including the westerners they will need to trade with. It will be fascinating to see what emerges post-Putin.
Your nice summary of the culture of the Russian elite 😂

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

Interesting perspective on why Putin tolerates these factions fighting & Prigorzhin etc.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Interesting perspective on why Putin tolerates these factions fighting & Prigorzhin etc.

Yes, it's an interesting perspective, and one which seems very plausible.

A while ago, I asked the question 'why is Prigozhin still alive?'. But unlike me, Geraschenko has worked out what is going on and has answered the question! I appreciate it's all speculation, until it is confirmed by the passage of time.

But if it's true, then it means Putin feels that his position as Tsar is under threat. His actions would seem to confirm that he does not feel threatened by Ukraine and her allies, but more threatened by those around him.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here