Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
They're constantly shelling civiliians and evacuation points, can you comprehend such sick evil?

And yet Ukrainians are still in boats rescuing fellow civillians and animals.

The contrast between every life is precious to no life is worth anything.

I f**king love Ukrainians indomitable spirit and absolute defiance.
That's why Ukraine will win, and Russia will lose. Spectacularly.

Slava Ukraini !

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Not sure how I missed this a month ago. But Piers Morgan (whom I'm not normally a fan of), doing a segment for Sky News Australia, absolutely tore a new one for Yevgeny Popov.

He's a Duma member for Putins party and one of the leading Russian TV propagandists who does a nightly national propaganda show with his wife, Olga Skabeyeva.

It's a thing of beauty (whilst obviously tragic)

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Not sure how I missed this a month ago. But Piers Morgan (whom I'm not normally a fan of), doing a segment for Sky News Australia, absolutely tore a new one for Yevgeny Popov.

Having seen the video, I can't see how he tore anything. Understandably Piers kept pushing the point the Russia illegally invaded Ukraine, and Yevgeny denied it whilst also throwing in a standard amount of Russia whataboutism. Of course we know Yevgeny is lying, but Piers didn't in any way prove that, or tie him up in his own lies. There was really nothing useful from the interview.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
Having seen the video, I can't see how he tore anything. Understandably Piers kept pushing the point the Russia illegally invaded Ukraine, and Yevgeny denied it whilst also throwing in a standard amount of Russia whataboutism. Of course we know Yevgeny is lying, but Piers didn't in any way prove that, or tie him up in his own lies. There was really nothing useful from the interview.
Clearly then we have a difference of perspective on this!

He was ramming truth down his throat and not letting his BS or whataboutism stand.

Personally thought it one of best I've seen with Russian official, because usually they simply let the Russian lie or get caught up in bothesideism. Piers didn't.

Hey ho :)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

He's a Duma member for Putins party and one of the leading Russian TV propagandists who does a nightly national propaganda show with his wife, Olga Skabeyeva.

It's a thing of beauty (whilst obviously tragic)

I think Piers took the right approach in this interview. He interrupted (something I normally dislike) Popov to stop him spouting his Kremlin propaganda, and Piers countered a number of times with horrific facts of Russia's Invasion. Well done.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Clearly then we have a difference of perspective on this!

Indeed :)

He was ramming truth down his throat and not letting his BS or whataboutism stand.

Yes, but you and I knew the truth before the interview - if we had been on Yevgeny's side, we could equally say that he didn't let Piers' BS stand, and kept going with his truth.

Personally thought it one of best I've seen with Russian official, because usually they simply let the Russian lie or get caught up in bothesideism. Piers didn't.

Yeah I can see that it was different from that perspective - usually an interviewer will remain unbiased and while they know the interviewee is lying, they just ask questions that make it difficult for their lies to look credible. For example, when Yevgeny says it's Western media, they'd ask why 122 countries voted that Russia is the aggressor in this conflict, including countries that Russia considers friendly (so not at all Western) like China, India, Brazil, and Turkey. A good interview makes it difficult for the interviewee to keep lying without looking stupid.

No one watching the interview would change their mind about the conflict.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
I think Piers took the right approach in this interview. He interrupted (something I normally dislike) Popov to stop him spouting his Kremlin propaganda, and Piers countered a number of times with horrific facts of Russia's Invasion. Well done.
I have to agree with this.

When you are interviewing someone who can’t even admit that Russia invaded the Ukraine, your best bet is to call them out on the two or three lies they’ve uttered rather than give them the floor to spout more BS. However, I don’t think the evil Russian was particularly bothered.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
More eco-terrorism on the agenda.

I suppose the answer is a surprise surrounding of the factory when the time comes and making it crystal clear to the occupiers that The Hague awaits all of them if they blow the charges.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Summary - Ukraine has 6 landmine rollers, wouldn't use 3 side by side, in the video smoke pours out of one tank and drifts left yet the leaves on the trees do not move at all, equipment seems to have been pasted into place on the zoom in.
Just watching the news and BBC just said they've verified the video as genuine

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here