Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012
I saw that the Russian sole aircraft carrier, apparently caught fire today. In dry dock which seems to be unconnected to their illegal occupation. Seems to be a small fire, unfortunately, probably just a little more black smoke coming off it than usual.

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
He and his people are true heroes.

Our ‘adopted’ Ukrainian family member has gone back to Kyiv for 6 weeks to spend time with her Dad who wasn’t allowed to leave.

She’s sent us videos of Ukrainians warmly celebrating togetherness and simply still being alive in plazas and malls, because their homes often have no power.

Just 1,300 miles away, a hitherto peaceful people are holding back a fascist and his killing machine.

We must back them for as long as it takes.
According to the Statista website (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1312584/ukrainian-refugees-by-country/) the country to which the most refugees have fled is Russia- seems odd to flee to a country run by a fascist and his killing machine. Having spoken to Ukranians - how do you account for this?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
According to the Statista website (https://www.statista.com/statistics/1312584/ukrainian-refugees-by-country/) the country to which the most refugees have fled is Russia- seems odd to flee to a country run by a fascist and his killing machine. Having spoken to Ukranians - how do you account for this?
Two possible reasons;
1). Many of those refugees will be ethnic Russians preciously living in the areas that Russia is attempting to annex, just wanting to get out of the war zone ((and probably because Moscow has told them that those nice neighbours they've been living oeacefully beside for years are in fact blood-sucking fascists who will eat them - or some similar dogma and scaremongering).
2). Many more of the refugees will have been thse who fled from places like Mariupol, who the Russians wouldn't allow to exit to anywhere except to Russia. Keep them 'in house' where brainwashing can start, the children can be indoctrinated (someties far away from Ukraine and some even from their families) and not too many people out of Russia's control telling the truth to the world.

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Are you trolling as a Putin fanboy?

Because Putin has spent the last 10 years creating a proxy war in the 4 oblast and now full out illegal war. To avoid being killed the minority who support him have headed east. Also Russians who earned a living in the neighbouring state have had to return home, for obvious reasons with Putin’s systematic atrocities being committed, they’re now unwanted in Ukraine.

10m Ukrainians have left their homes, millions heading to democracies west.

Solid at the back

Sep 1, 2010
Glorious Shoreham by Sea
Are you trolling as a Putin fanboy?

Because Putin has spent the last 10 years creating a proxy war in the 4 oblast and now full out illegal war. To avoid being killed the minority who support him have headed east. Also Russians who earned a living in the neighbouring state have had to return home, for obvious reasons with Putin’s systematic atrocities being committed, they’re now unwanted in Ukraine.

10m Ukrainians have left their homes, millions heading to democracies west.

Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. The guy is clearly a Putin sympathiser

St Leonards Seagull

Jul 10, 2012

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
It has all come together nicely, all of the nonsense posted points towards to some sort of bot/nonsense account.
Thanks for confirming 👍
I merely asked a reasonable question - I was curious to find out from someone who had spoken to Ukranians what he thought.
What other nonsense are you referring to - Ive just disagreed with people on economic matters and backed up my arguments with evidence. Seems totally reasonable on a discussion forum.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Russians use crowdfunding to buy boots and body armor for Kremlin's ill-supplied troops' - CNN.

'Russian citizens are crowdfunding to equip soldiers deployed to Ukraine as winter closes in on the battlefield.
Troops have complained they are short of basic equipment – and the message has reached Russian President Vladimir Putin. He and other officials say they are working to overcome issues with supplying newly mobilized troops, partially blaming supply chain issues.
But the Kremlin has also stepped up pressure on those who dare to complain – and is increasingly framing the invasion of Ukraine as a patriotic and almost existential cause.

Local campaigns are raising funds for soldiers in both Russia and the self-declared Donetsk People’s Republic (DPR) in eastern Ukraine.
One, dubbed “Together is Warmer,” has raised 3 million rubles (about $45,000) to provide basic equipment and clothing for Russian soldiers.
A Telegram channel detailed last month how citizens helped supply the DPR’s 6th Motorized Rifles, a company of 74 men.
The channel listed what the citizens bought: Uniforms, thermal underwear, socks, hats, balaclavas, sweaters, berets, a generator, power banks, medicines, clothes, boots and even two wheelchairs, which the company took to the hospital.

In the Chuvashia region, where the mobilization prompted protests in the fall, Telegram channels said that families had gone into debt buying equipment.
“From officials there, all they got was parting words and three sacks of potatoes,” one said.
Many of the public crowdfunding appeals focus on preventing hypothermia among soldiers fighting without adequate clothing and shelter in sub-zero temperatures. In the central Russian city of Tambov, for example, 8th grade schoolchildren raised money for socks for the troops.
But some also try to source thermal imagery devices, two-way radios, body armor or even drones.'

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I watched some of this live last night. There was a lot of love in the room for the Ukrainian leader. It was emotional although it's not lost on me a lot of Americans are loving sticking it to the Russians vicariously via the Ukrainians. This is the Hot War they never had.
Yes, I think that's right. America is unlikely to pull the plug on military aid any time soon 🤞 after those scenes in Congress

BenGarfield

Feb 22, 2019
crawley
Glad I wasn't the only one who noticed it. The guy is clearly a Putin sympathiser
I dont like Putin, as he`s a right-wing Russian nationalist autocrat and Russia was clearly wrong to invade Ukraine, as we were to invade Iraq (amongst other places). However I dont buy the line that he is a Hitler like character determined to conquer Europe. There are complex and particular reasons for the situation in Ukraine with fault on both sides stretching over many years.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I dont like Putin, as he`s a right-wing Russian nationalist autocrat and Russia was clearly wrong to invade Ukraine, as we were to invade Iraq (amongst other places). However I dont buy the line that he is a Hitler like character determined to conquer Europe. There are complex and particular reasons for the situation in Ukraine with fault on both sides stretching over many years.
But mainly on Russia's side. Like invading an independent, peaceful, sovereign country, killing tens of thousands, torturing and raping more, kidnapping children and forcibly transporting them back to Russia. That kind of thing.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Putin_Nazis_map1.jpg

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
He and his people are true heroes.

Our ‘adopted’ Ukrainian family member has gone back to Kyiv for 6 weeks to spend time with her Dad who wasn’t allowed to leave.

She’s sent us videos of Ukrainians warmly celebrating togetherness and simply still being alive in plazas and malls, because their homes often have no power.

Just 1,300 miles away, a hitherto peaceful people are holding back a fascist and his killing machine.

We must back them for as long as it takes.
I hope she has a successful and enjoyable visit 🤞👍

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here