Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
And as a side-effect of this war, it means that that wan**r, pr**k Trump will hopefully never get back in office. Let's hope he dies soon as well
as Putin.
Another side effect is that if a large amount of Vlad the Defiler's army is destroyed now, then it won't matter so much if he gets his stooge Trump back into the Whitehouse.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
How very, very nice of him to think of us. Now f*** off.

You need to ask yourself 'why would he say that?'.

The answer, if it isn't obvious, is that the sanctions are hurting Russia. The clear course of action should therefore be to do more of what we are doing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Just when you thought Putin's claims couldn't any more unbelievable:

'Putin accuse Ukraine of blocking talks'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062 12:05

Russia's President Vladimir Putin has told the German chancellor that it is Kyiv and not Moscow which is blocking peace talks.
The Kremlin's readout of the telephone conversation with Olaf Scholz came just before Ukraine's Foreign Minister Dmitry Kuleba - who is currently in Germany - told reporters he felt Russia didn't have the appetite for either peace or security talks.
Putin's conversation with Scholz also saw him repeat his justification for the invasion - which is referred to as "a special military operation" - and claim the civilians hiding in the steelworks in Mariupol were being held by Ukrainian forces.
The civilians had taken cover in the steelworks to hide from attacks on the city by Russia.

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
You do wonder about Russia's Military Intelligence, surely they should have told Putin - This ain't going to be so easy?

Or perhaps the bearer of bad news...

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
You do wonder about Russia's Military Intelligence, surely they should have told Putin - This ain't going to be so easy?

Indeed.

I read that many of the abandoned vehicles in the failed convoy to Kyiv, were found to have full dress uniform in them, indicating that the Russians really thought they would be welcomed into Kyiv as liberators.

Now there's misreading the room, and then there's a whole military hierarchy, right up to Putin, being given totally the wrong information, and nobody questioning or verifying it.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Indeed.

I read that many of the abandoned vehicles in the failed convoy to Kyiv, were found to have full dress uniform in them, indicating that the Russians really thought they would be welcomed into Kyiv as liberators.

Now there's misreading the room, and then there's a whole military hierarchy, right up to Putin, being given totally the wrong information, and nobody questioning or verifying it.
Gerasimov, Chief of the General Staff gone, plus a few other commanders, including Admiral of the Black Sea fleet. Are they all going to take this lying down. Interesting times

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

…is shot! Precisely, no one is going there. It’s the Achilles heel of all despots eventually. Hopefully Putin will be playing pass the pistol in his bunker very soon.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
Read a few news reports about this yesterday. Incredible. A whole battalion wiped out. Jeez

Unquestionably a major set back. Probably not as many casualties as Ukraine and commentators would like us to believe but hey let’s hope there were. Saddened that Russian soldiers found guilty of war crimes will only be given life sentences. In context of war, such murderers should be dealt with by military field tribunals and hanged or shot if found guilty. Swift justice, move on. The scale and volume of Russian crimes across Ukraine demands so IMO. Sure plenty are getting summary justice anyway. I mean, they’re not exactly observing law by invading.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Saddened that Russian soldiers found guilty of war crimes will only be given life sentences. In context of war, such murderers should be dealt with by military field tribunals and hanged or shot if found guilty. Swift justice, move on. The scale and volume of Russian crimes across Ukraine demands so IMO. Sure plenty are getting summary justice anyway. I mean, they’re not exactly observing law by invading.

I think it is commendable and also the smart thing to do, Ukraine are playing the long game, the last thing you want is Russians back home seeing their young soldiers hanging from a rope or being lined up blindfolded and shot on tv, with god knows what propaganda behind the images, probably something along the lines of “Ukrainian Nazis hang young innocent freedom fighters on a special mission”. Now that would probably & sadly stir national patriotic rhetoric and backing for an escalation of action from Putin, giving him further excuses to up the anti.

I am not saying those found guilty don’t deserve execution, but it’s the smart thing not too.

in my humble uneducated opinion

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003
I think it is commendable and also the smart thing to do, Ukraine are playing the long game, the last thing you want is Russians back home seeing their young soldiers hanging from a rope or being lined up blindfolded and shot on tv, with god knows what propaganda behind the images, probably something along the lines of “Ukrainian Nazis hang young innocent freedom fighters on a special mission”. Now that would probably & sadly stir national patriotic rhetoric and backing for an escalation of action from Putin, giving him further excuses to up the anti.

I am not saying those found guilty don’t deserve execution, but it’s the smart thing not too.

in my humble uneducated opinion

Respect that. What puzzles and frustrates me is still curtailing somewhat to Putin in case he might do this or that. He’s already invaded a country, targeted schools, hospitals and other civilian buildings; let his armies rape and murder thousands of innocent people; lay waste to vast territory; etc etc. Yet still the mindset is “try not to piss him off.” Need both hands free, it’s total war. If Putin sanctions the ultimate then I guess we reached that point in history that was always inevitable because of mankind’s insatiable appetite for mass-destruction. Anyway, let’s hope another battalion of Russians gets wiped out today :)

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Respect that. What puzzles and frustrates me is still curtailing somewhat to Putin in case he might do this or that. He’s already invaded a country, targeted schools, hospitals and other civilian buildings; let his armies rape and murder thousands of innocent people; lay waste to vast territory; etc etc. Yet still the mindset is “try not to piss him off.” Need both hands free, it’s total war. If Putin sanctions the ultimate then I guess we reached that point in history that was always inevitable because of mankind’s insatiable appetite for mass-destruction. Anyway, let’s hope another battalion of Russians gets wiped out today :)

The aim is not to appease Putin, it is too appeal to the masses of Russians who are fed propaganda day and night, if we want a regime change clearing out the old guard, we need the Russian everyday folk to be behind change, seek change and know the truth about what is actually going on. The Ukraine is being very smart in this by not going for the death penalty, It is the long game.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
The aim is not to appease Putin, it is too appeal to the masses of Russians who are fed propaganda day and night, if we want a regime change clearing out the old guard, we need the Russian everyday folk to be behind change, seek change and know the truth about what is actually going on. The Ukraine is being very smart in this by not going for the death penalty, It is the long game.

Wise words

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Unquestionably a major set back. Probably not as many casualties as Ukraine and commentators would like us to believe but hey let’s hope there were. Saddened that Russian soldiers found guilty of war crimes will only be given life sentences. In context of war, such murderers should be dealt with by military field tribunals and hanged or shot if found guilty. Swift justice, move on. The scale and volume of Russian crimes across Ukraine demands so IMO. Sure plenty are getting summary justice anyway. I mean, they’re not exactly observing law by invading.
At least one of the Russian batallions that was in Bucha was redeployed to Kharkiv and destroyed in battle there.

I think the initial fate of the war criminals will be death in battle.

Any captured in battle can be tried, and then there will be legal actions ( and covert nazi hunter operations ) where possible after the war.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
This discussion is really good. [MENTION=13230]Psychobilly freakout[/MENTION] is absolutely right. The Ukrainians are playing the long game. Perhaps they are not explicitly going for regime change in Moscow, but they are going for maximum exposure to Russian wrongdoing, and the cost of it to ordinary Russians.

Take a look at two examples from yesterday of how they are playing that game.

'Ukraine army releases 'war criminal' deck of cards'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062 22:02 13 May

A simple way of keeping the names and pictures of the war criminals in the public eye, and those war criminals on the back foot.

'Ukraine returns bodies of dead soldiers to Russia'
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062 22:22 13 May

Thousands of dead bodies arriving in Russia on refrigerated trains is not a good look for the 'special military operation', won't be easy to cover up, and will be at odds with official numbers of Russian deaths.

'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here