Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
It didn't occur to me to look at it like that. Not only is he at risk from the anaesthetic and the surgery, but being under anaesthetic, he is also vulnerable to assassination attempts.

Imagine being a control freak, and paranoid that any number of random people will take a chance to keel heem.

The prospect of losing control, must be absolutely terrifying for him.

The thing is, what's preventing him from being assassinated at any time isn't his physical prowess it's his guard, which will be in place whether he is conscious or not.

Even if Putin is killed, they'll put someone just as bad in place. It could even be worse. Someone just as malign but strategically more adept. The Western wish that Navalny or someone is given the Kremlin after Putin goes is totally naive

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The thing is, what's preventing him from being assassinated at any time isn't his physical prowess it's his guard, which will be in place whether he is conscious or not.

Even if Putin is killed, they'll put someone just as bad in place. It could even be worse. Someone just as malign but strategically more adept. The Western wish that Navalny or someone is given the Kremlin after Putin goes is totally naive

The idea that “someone worse will take over” is an oft repeated one. In theory, yes they could. It’s rarely the case though. Most dictators / tyrants build a cult of personality. Once the head is cut from the serpent, the thrashing tail quickly dies.
There are exceptions such as the the Jong Uns but as far as we know, Putin doesn’t have family lined up to take over his seat.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
It didn't occur to me to look at it like that. Not only is he at risk from the anaesthetic and the surgery, but being under anaesthetic, he is also vulnerable to assassination attempts.

Imagine being a control freak, and paranoid that any number of random people will take a chance to keel heem.

Precisely ! He's had so many people rubbed out in different ways and I'm sure he would view a rival having to go under anaesthetic as being a marvellous opportunity to get rid of a loose end.....it must really prey on his mind ...do I don't I ?

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
The idea that “someone worse will take over” is an oft repeated one. In theory, yes they could. It’s rarely the case though. Most dictators / tyrants build a cult of personality. Once the head is cut from the serpent, the thrashing tail quickly dies.
There are exceptions such as the the Jong Uns but as far as we know, Putin doesn’t have family lined up to take over his seat.

Well, the point i'm making is that we can't assume it will be someone better. It will be someone with Putin's worldview.

The idea that after Putin dies, Russia will just pass back occupied Ukraine and become a productive member of the international community is wildly unlikely.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
The idea that “someone worse will take over” is an oft repeated one. In theory, yes they could. It’s rarely the case though. Most dictators / tyrants build a cult of personality. Once the head is cut from the serpent, the thrashing tail quickly dies. There are exceptions such as the the Jong Uns but as far as we know, Putin doesn’t have family lined up to take over his seat.

I'm not sure, revolutions have often led to dictators. Russia is a case in point, as was France, Spain - although Franco was a coup rather than a revolution. Power vacuums seldom lead to solid peaceful democratic outcomes.

usernamed

Aug 31, 2017
I'm not sure, revolutions have often led to dictators. Russia is a case in point, as was France, Spain - although Franco was a coup rather than a revolution. Power vacuums seldom lead to solid peaceful democratic outcomes.

There’s no popular uprising in Russia, no mass desire to change the status quo. What we end up with in a post-Putin world (whenever that happens) will eventually look a lot like Putin.

A new leader may start out looking friendlier, while they buy time to rebuild and reduce the level of sanctions imposed, but I suspect whoever comes next will slowly but surely return to form.

Unless the system and the nature of the advisers, and the profile of those holding power in the background changes, we are likely to end up with something similar again.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire

I do hope it's utterly terrifying for him 👍👍

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...sia-house-arrest-disguising-food-courier.html

Pussy Riot singer flees Russia while under house arrest for activism - by disguising herself as a food courier

Pussy Riot leader dresses as food courier to fool police and escape Moscow
Maria Alyokhina is now safely in Lithuania with fellow band members
Daring move comes as she was under house arrest and facing penal colony
Russia has been locking up activists under draconian new anti-dissent laws

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm not sure if the cancer story is true but, what a dilemma for Putin ! The sooner he has the surgery the better chance he has of recovery but....if he goes under anaesthetic he knows he may not wake up.

I hope you die Putin, you piece of dogshit.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Heartwarming

[tweet]1524452479043260419[/tweet]

All the more heartwarming when you think back to February and mainstream news was predicting that Kyiv would fall within 24-48 hours. Not even close. Fair to say that the entire world, not least Vladimir Putin, underestimated the resolve and resilience of the Ukrainian people.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'The very thing that Putin has sought for years to prevent – Nato expansion – is the very thing he has now brought about.'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61404062 9:10 'Russians and Finns have largely stopped crossing the border'

So Putin has managed to achieve the exact polar opposite of his primary objective. More Nato instead of less Nato. Nice one.

In making that catastrophic mistake, he has killed thousands of innocent people, destroyed the lives of millions more, alienated most of the world, lost numerous trading partners, trashed his economy, and lost Russia influence, power and friends for generations. There are many 'epic fails' on Youtube, but none of them come close.

Vlad, your legacy will live on for centuries. Just not for the reasons you envisaged on February 24.

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Interesting read…..

[tweet]1524448245539393539[/tweet]

I know we are not supposed to celebrate Russian deaths but if we were allowed I would say; Excellent. I am glad they died and I hope more get killed in equally spectacular ways. They are mob of rapists and butchers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here