Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
I read a few days ago , I will try and find the link because I haven’t seen it since, that the SAS were on the ground in Ukraine training Ukrainian troops in sabotage and guerrilla warfare. Then we start seeing strategic Russian buildings going up in smoke.

It made me double take when I read it. As it seemed like a big thing to mention so briefly. I would also think that if British SF’s are in Ukraine, it’s highly unlikely they will be just training .

Did anyone else read this or have I got it wrong do you think?

Edit; it seems so

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sas-troops-are-training-local-forces-in-ukraine-32vs5bjzb

British special forces ‘are training local troops in Ukraine’
Serving UK soldiers ‘on ground’ for first time

100% they were there before it all started……but it’ll never be admitted, obviously. Same with US special forces.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
I read a few days ago , I will try and find the link because I haven’t seen it since, that the SAS were on the ground in Ukraine training Ukrainian troops in sabotage and guerrilla warfare. Then we start seeing strategic Russian buildings going up in smoke.

It made me double take when I read it. As it seemed like a big thing to mention so briefly. I would also think that if British SF’s are in Ukraine, it’s highly unlikely they will be just training .

Edit; it seems so

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/sas-troops-are-training-local-forces-in-ukraine-32vs5bjzb

This guy was in Nairobi training Kenyan forces, when an opportunity for a live demonstration appeared.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSJni7zeiN0

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
This is a thread about the war in Ukraine. You're becoming obsessed with me old gal. Every time it starts with you being abusive to me. It's a small world.

The Knight Templar in your avatar is wearing incorrect armour and helmet. Please address this.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
The Knight Templar in your avatar is wearing incorrect armour and helmet. Please address this.

Apologies for the following digression.

I know you like to walk along the Adur. Did you know that the Knights Templar trained at Shipley, near the source of the Adur, when it was navigable as far as Shipley?

Not only that, but they sailed their galleys from Shipley, down the Adur, and on to the Holy Land. They also took pilgrims with them, to guarantee their safe passage. The pilgrims trusted all their wealth to the Knights Templar, who gave the pilgrims a written breakdown of their wealth, in writing. When the pilgrims arrived in the Holy Land, they used the written account of their wealth, as collateral to obtain loans. These were, in effect, the very first cheques. How about that?

Again, sorry for the digression, and back to the thread....

ShandyH

Jan 22, 2010
Back in London

I know you like to walk along the Adur. Did you know that the Knights Templar trained at Shipley, near the source of the Adur, when it was navigable as far as Shipley?

Not only that, but they sailed their galleys from Shipley, down the Adur, and on to the Holy Land. They also took pilgrims with them, to guarantee their safe passage. The pilgrims trusted all their wealth to the Knights Templar, who gave the pilgrims a written breakdown of their wealth, in writing. When the pilgrims arrived in the Holy Land, they used the written account of their wealth, as collateral to obtain loans. These were, in effect, the very first cheques. How about that?

Excellent history post!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST

Ah, I knew a bit about Templar activity around Adur and Shoreham but not about the cheques. In one version of the Grail myth, the chalice left England via Shoreham harbour!.

Thank you, very interesting indeed.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

Edit; it seems so

I know the SAS get all the headlines, but I wouldn't discount the SBS - the Special Boat Squadron - the navy equivalent of the army's SAS, who operate even further under the radar. I might be completely wrong - I am not an expert, nor claim to be one, but I would be very surprised if the SBS haven't been involved so far.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Ah, I knew a bit about Templar activity around Adur and Shoreham but not about the cheques. In one version of the Grail myth, the chalice left England via Shoreham harbour!.

Thank you, very interesting indeed.

No problem. Since being retired, I've found that local churches are absolute goldmines of information. I got all that info from the pamphlet in the church at Shipley!

But the last thing I want to do is derail the thread, so back to the invasion.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
I know the SAS get all the headlines, but I wouldn't discount the SBS - the Special Boat Squadron - the navy equivalent of the army's SAS, who operate even further under the radar. I might be completely wrong - I am not an expert, nor claim to be one, but I would be very surprised if the SBS haven't been involved so far.

Apologies for being a pedant but it's special boat service not squadron (changed about 20 years ago) and both SAS and SBS are Tri service coming under directorate of special forces (DSF) which reports directly to the Chief of the Defence Staff. They are not Navy / Army service specific.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
I think it would be obvious to most that UK and US special forces would be there. I just find it irresponsible for media outlets to be reporting it. More grist to the Russian paranoia about NATO mill. Feel the same a bit about announcing all the weapon donations. I understand why politicians feel they have to trumpet how much they are supporting Ukraine, but is it necessary to reveal so much ?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
I think it would be obvious to most that UK and US special forces would be there. I just find it irresponsible for media outlets to be reporting it. More grist to the Russian paranoia about NATO mill. Feel the same a bit about announcing all the weapon donations. I understand why politicians feel they have to trumpet how much they are supporting Ukraine, but is it necessary to reveal so much ?

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

I understand where you are coming from but I think it important to show our support publicly for Ukraine. Russia seem to think they can invade a foreign country but simultaneously dictate our response. They lost that chance when they sent in their troops. As past masters of shadow warfare they should understand and expect exactly what they are getting and we should not be shy about declaring our support for our ‘special operation.’

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla

Edit; it seems so

Yes, The Times ran with that story. I'd be more inclined to believe the training was actually in Poland, Slovakia, Romania or even the UK but The Times obviously has better sources than me.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Apologies for being a pedant but it's special boat service not squadron (changed about 20 years ago) and both SAS and SBS are Tri service coming under directorate of special forces (DSF) which reports directly to the Chief of the Defence Staff. They are not Navy / Army service specific.

No, you're not being a pedant. It's important to get these things right. Do you know if they are in Ukraine?

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
'Ukraine can win the war if it has right equipment - US Pentagon chief'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61185469 at 08:25

'US Defense Secretary Lloyd Austin has also been speaking - returning from an American delegation trip to Kyiv yesterday.
He says that on the way to the capital it looked like things were beginning to get back to normal.
Austin says the nature of the fight in Ukraine has evolved so it needs long-range weapons, and it has expressed a need for tanks. He says it is difficult for the US to track what happens to weapons transferred to Ukraine, as there are no US forces on the ground. But he spoke to Ukrainians to make sure weapons are tracked as best as possible.
"The first step in winning is believing that you can win... We believe that we can win, they can win if they have the right equipment, the right support," he says.
The Pentagon chief adds that Zelensky was grateful for everything the US is doing, but is focused on what he needs next in order to be successful.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

SAS stands for Super Army Soldiers, Ross Kemp told me.:D

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
I've tried to keep my myself away from the minutiae of what's going on in Ukraine right now, because after the first couple of weeks of the invasion I realised it was not doing my own state of mind any good. But I did find myself compelled to read this story and the scale of personal tragedy is just off the scale; just put yourself in this poor bloke's shoes. Absolutely horrific. :(

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-61210699

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I've tried to keep my myself away from the minutiae of what's going on in Ukraine right now, because after the first couple of weeks of the invasion I realised it was not doing my own state of mind any good. But I did find myself compelled to read this story and the scale of personal tragedy is just off the scale; just put yourself in this poor bloke's shoes. Absolutely horrific. :(
Although I've not had mental health issues (so far) I instinctively avoid a lot of the horror stories - I very well know they're there, so I don't turn a blind eye or pretend all is good with the world, but I generally (not always) choose not to look into the details because it's too depressing, and could I imagine affect me too much.

I have a sense of how awful things are in Ukraine and want it to stay in the news, and for the West to help as much possible to end Putin's terror.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
A slight diversion, but is it correct to call it a war?

To me a war has a different meaning to being invaded and defending oneself.

Is it easier and quicker to say and type war?

Being invaded without legitimate reason keeps Ukraine as the faultless side.

Wellesley

Jul 24, 2013
A slight diversion, but is it correct to call it a war?

To me a war has a different meaning to being invaded and defending oneself.

Is it easier and quicker to say and type war?

Being invaded without legitimate reason keeps Ukraine as the faultless side.

No, it's not a war, it's a liberation! A special military campaign. I've a 'friend' from the former Soviet Union that actually believes that bullshit too. It's put a strain on a once close friendship.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here