Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The Russians would have you believe that the conditions are like Drake’s Passage, but……

“The water level in the Black Sea remains the same all the time because of the absence of any high or low tides. This gives the sea no fluctuation in the water level, keeping it as a calm, quiet and serene sea on the surface.”

The water level will now be ever so slighty higher now there's an effing great big warship sitting on the bottom rather than on surface!!!

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

The stubbornness of the Ukrainians not to surrender, must have been a terrible shock to the Russians.

I wouldn't be surprised if it has affected their mental health and general well-being.

Imagine one moment, you believe you are an all conquering world super power, with friends, influence and power, and are expecting to roll triumphantly into Kyiv in full dress uniform, to liberate them all to cheering crowds. Instead your generals are picked off by snipers, and you're forced to withdraw, tail between legs.

Then after bombarding the Ukrainian coast, your flagship vessel is hit by a Ukrainian missile and then sinks to worldwide applause.

How would you feel if you were Russian? From world super power to world pariah in 50 days. That's a serious fvck up.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Indeed. Russia's latest missiles hit the factory in Kyiv which makes anti-ship missiles. Bit of a giveaway that.

On a wider point, why do Russians get so indignant when Ukraine has the temerity to defend itself against Russia? Do they think Russia has a God-given right to invade Ukraine and that Ukraine should just roll over? It's that kind of arrogance that will lose Russia friends, assuming they have any left.
Missile factories should have been Day 1 targets.

The whole invasion has been a Blunderkrieg.

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
Russia is ****ed. If they were going to use nukes, they’d have done it by now. Well done Putin, you’ve **ed Russia for the next 50 years.

I feel for Russian kids who are blameless and will be mid-40-50s before they see what life
could have been like because of that **** putin.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
The water level will now be ever so slighty higher now there's an effing great big warship sitting on the bottom rather than on surface!!!

I am of course 100%pleased it's been sunk, but I'm not sure about your water level remark... water displacement of a heavy floating ship vs volume of material when sunk? any scientists here who'd know? :shrug:

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
Has there been any mention of how many went down with the ship?

My understanding is that it was fully evacuated after the missile strikes, then they attempted to tow it for emergency patching and it sunk within hours without a soul on board.

portlock seagull

Why? Why us?
Jul 28, 2003

The only people that know are the barbaric Russians, and they lie about EVERYTHING so I guess we’ll never know.

But hopefully 500+ ie the full crew. Every dead Russian is obviously a good thing.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-61101906 at 17:49

'Russian casualties suspected after Moskva sinking - US official'

'The US also believes there were casualties when the Russian missile cruiser Moskva sank, the same official tells Reuters news agency.
The senior US official, who was speaking on condition of anonymity, said the number of casualties was unclear.
The ship had a crew of about 500 sailors, and Russia previously said they were successfully evacuated to other ships.
In a Facebook post before the ship sank, Ukrainian officials said Russian rescue efforts were being hampered by ammunition exploding on board and stormy weather.
The BBC is currently unable to verify whether lives were lost.'

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I am of course 100%pleased it's been sunk, but I'm not sure about your water level remark... water displacement of a heavy floating ship vs volume of material when sunk? any scientists here who'd know? :shrug:

Archimedes principle:

A body at rest in a fluid is acted upon by a force pushing upward called the buoyant force, which is equal to the weight of the fluid that the body displaces. If the body is completely submerged, the volume of fluid displaced is equal to the volume of the body.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Seeing reports on Twitter that the Moskva lost 452 men. Also reports saying it had two nuclear warheads on board.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Seeing reports on Twitter that the Moskva lost 452 men. Also reports saying it had two nuclear warheads on board.

I got the impression that it went down pretty quickly, within a couple of hours and due to inclement weather not many survived the impacts and the subsequent detonation and fire. A sad way to go but hey, that's Special Military Operations for you.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here