Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
Unfortunately all true and there were similar conversations at the end of the cold war when we thought things were starting to improve and here we are. The only real change will have to come from the Russia people but not sure how long it will take to change the ingrained attitudes of the Russian masses who have been brainwashed for 100 years.

One more generation, at least

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
So it seems that the West is supplying Ukraine with much serious military hardware, does anyone know are Ukraine expected to pay for this equipment?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
So it seems that the West is supplying Ukraine with much serious military hardware, does anyone know are Ukraine expected to pay for this equipment?
I don't think they'll have to. I hope they don't have to.

When we were fighting in WW2 we had military aid from the US, but we were paying for that for decades. I'm not sure why we had to, and how many other countries shared our burden.

Last edited:

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

I think when this is all sorted out I think you might find that Ukraine will be the go-to country for UN Peacekeepers when they need them.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing

I would expect that 'payment' is via essential information back to NATO about the effectiveness of their equipment against their main potential opponents.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Did anyone see this on the BBC today?

'Russia to focus war on eastern Ukraine - Russian army chief'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60856533 - at 13:59

'The comments - carried by Russian state news agencies - hinted at a possible downgrading of Russia's war aims.'

Even if true the Russians should be receiving a very large bill for reparations and need to be surrendering war criminals such as Putin and army leaders.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
I see Russian state media have now re-framed Putin’s publicly stated ambitions for this Special Military Operation.

Seemingly, it was never their intention to seize the whole of Ukraine after all and after 4 weeks of battle with 150’000 troops, the 4 vegetable allotments and a 3G football pitch on the outskirts of Donetsk currently under Russian control represents Phase 1 achieved.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is massive.

Russian brigade commander killed by own troops, Western officials claim
A Russian brigade commander in Ukraine has been killed by his own troops, Western officials have claimed.
Colonel Medvechek, who was commanding the 37th Motor Rifle Brigade, is believed to have been deliberately run over.
An official, who has not been named, said: "The brigade commander was killed by his own troops and killed by his own troops, we believe, as a consequence of the scale of losses that have been taken by his brigade."
"We believe that he was killed by his own troops deliberately. We believe that he was run over by his own troops."
The official added that a lieutenant general commanding the 49th Combined Arms Army has also died in the fighting, making him the seventh Russian general to be killed in combat since the invasion began.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
This is massive.

A Russian brigade commander in Ukraine has been killed by his own troops, Western officials have claimed.
Colonel Medvechek, who was commanding the 37th Motor Rifle Brigade, is believed to have been deliberately run over.
An official, who has not been named, said: "The brigade commander was killed by his own troops and killed by his own troops, we believe, as a consequence of the scale of losses that have been taken by his brigade."
"We believe that he was killed by his own troops deliberately. We believe that he was run over by his own troops."
The official added that a lieutenant general commanding the 49th Combined Arms Army has also died in the fighting, making him the seventh Russian general to be killed in combat since the invasion began.

I so hope this is true.

A comment on a post above about how long will it take to change the Russian people, and the 'brainwashing'; 20-30 years ago I feared the all consuming power of propaganda. Today, I am inclined to suspect that 'the people' everywhere, within certain parameters, believe whatever suits them, and are not on the whole poor unfortunate honest citizens, duped by evil maniplulators. Many Russians will be comfortable with the lies because they feel they live in a big important country with a strong leader, and that the facists followed by the capitalists have always wanted to destroy them. In the UK there are millions who are very relaxed about the status quo here. When Orwell said if there was hope it must lie in the proles, he was being facetious.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
I would expect that 'payment' is via essential information back to NATO about the effectiveness of their equipment against their main potential opponents.
They have already shipped back a captured Russian Electronic Warfare HQ vehicle to the USA for experts to analyse.

Quite a significant capture I believe.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Did anyone see this on the BBC today?

'Russia to focus war on eastern Ukraine - Russian army chief'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/world-europe-60856533 - at 13:59

'The comments - carried by Russian state news agencies - hinted at a possible downgrading of Russia's war aims.'
I see Russian state media have now re-framed Putin’s publicly stated ambitions for this Special Military Operation.

Seemingly, it was never their intention to seize the whole of Ukraine after all and after 4 weeks of battle with 150’000 troops, the 4 vegetable allotments and a 3G football pitch on the outskirts of Donetsk currently under Russian control represents Phase 1 achieved.
Well yes but...

The Russians kept declaring that they wouldn't invade... up until they did invade so the possibility that this is more lies is pretty high.

Igzilla

Sep 27, 2012
Worthing
Well yes but...

The Russians kept declaring that they wouldn't invade... up until they did invade so the possibility that this is more lies is pretty high.

Quite. I'm sure the Ukrainians will be working to their own targets and strategies. They still need to keep retaking whatever territory the Russians currently occupy, including the Donbas. Otherwise come the final peace talks, Russia will have leverage.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
This is massive.

“What news of my Special Military Operation today, Comrade Bollockov?”

“Well, good news and bad news Comrade Putin.”

“What’s the good news?”

“After 3 weeks of having their arses handed to them, the 37th Motor Rifles brigade have finally received fresh supplies of vehicle fuel.”

“So what’s the bad news, FFS?”

“They used it to run over Colonel Medvechek.”

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
“What news of my Special Military Operation today, Comrade Bollockov?”

“Well, good news and bad news Comrade Putin.”

“What’s the good news?”

“After 3 weeks of having their arses handed to them, the 37th Motor Rifles brigade have finally received fresh supplies of vehicle fuel.”

“So what’s the bad news, FFS?”

“They used it to run over Colonel Medvechek.”

It’s almost Blackadder-esque

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here