Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
But the ordinary Russians believe that their troops are only bombing and shelling drug fuelled Nazis.

Yes, but for how long with Arnie on the case?

'Ukraine: Arnold Schwarzenegger's anti-war video trends on Russian social media'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-60794809

By 13:00 GMT the video had been viewed nearly 25m times and had been retweeted 325,000 times.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

'Ukraine: Arnold Schwarzenegger's anti-war video trends on Russian social media'

By 13:00 GMT the video had been viewed nearly 25m times and had been retweeted 325,000 times.

I hope it goes viral and completely saturates Russia, sadly, its probably not going to be as effective as Putin triumphantly lying to 200,000 people in the 78,000 seater Luzhniki stadium.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Lots of comments earlier about prior training by Western forces and also stockpiling resources before the invasion. This is something Britain has done well and plaudits to the government where they are due. I think it also partly addresses the clamouring noises 'we aren't doing enough' for the displaced refugees from Ukraine. Different countries have different expertise and resources, one strong resource in regard to Poland was proximity, one of ours is obviously military know-how and technically advanced equipment.

I say this as someone who is trying to be bi-partisan politically, whilst acknowledging that personally, I believe the govt should have moved quicker to give practical help to fleeing people.

Here's a good article demonstrating the point:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/03/12/inside-story-britain-armed-ukraines-resistance-russia/

Really, do you genuinely believe that just because we can supply arms (and I'm guessing Ukraine will have to stump up for those at some stage) that offsets the shite way we have dealt with the refugee aspect of the war. We can and should do both.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Really, do you genuinely believe that just because we can supply arms (and I'm guessing Ukraine will have to stump up for those at some stage) that offsets the shite way we have dealt with the refugee aspect of the war. We can and should do both.

We are doing both, it's just we are good at one of them, and not so good at the other. That said, I hear people saying there are not enough safeguards in place with the refugee scheme, at the same time others are saying there are too many obstacles.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
We are doing both, it's just we are good at one of them, and not so good at the other.

If that couldn't be picked up from what I posted, then it's sheer unwillingness to credit where credit is due. Some people are so indoctrinated against the government that they simply cannot bear to tell the truth when we are doing something right.

And I want Boris and co out as I don't have confidence in them.

Flex Your Head

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If that couldn't be picked up from what I posted, then it's sheer unwillingness to credit where credit is due. Some people are so indoctrinated against the government that they simply cannot bear to tell the truth when we are doing something right.

And I want Boris and co out as I don't have confidence in them.

I can bear it as long as there is no crowing about having the best, fastest, most generous, world beating etc. response to the Ukrainian refugee crisis, even if it is, we shouldn't crow about just being decent and doing what we can.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Trump has to be one of them doesn't he?

Not since he’s been banned.

The full list is as follows;

RT
Russian Ministry of Foreign Affairs
Dmitriy Medvedev
Medvedev’s Russian language account
Kremlin Russian language account
Sputnik (state media)
Russian Government
Elon Musk
Cristina Kirchner (Argentina president)
BRICS
St Petersburg Economic Forum
ThinkRussia (no comment)
World Economic Forum
EU Council Press Office
Trump’s archived White House tweets
Obama’s archived White House tweets
Barack Obama
10 Downing Street
Stephen Harper
Jens Stoltenberg
Skolkovo (no idea)
And Arnie, of course

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015

It needs more people famous in Russia willing to do this to infiltrate the media blockade in Russia.

Artists like Lara Fabian who is absolutely massive in Russia to come out and do something similar. She can sell or 6000 capacity arenas in Russia. She was the star of the opera Madame Zivago. She can speak Russian and her fan base contains many of both wealthy and every day Russians. They are the people who need to step up and be counted at this time.

She is Belgian so the Russian Government can't really claim that it is US propaganda.

Dec 29, 2011

RT
Dmitriy Medvedev
Sputnik (state media)
Russian Government
Elon Musk
BRICS
ThinkRussia (no comment)
World Economic Forum
EU Council Press Office
Barack Obama
10 Downing Street
Stephen Harper
Jens Stoltenberg
Skolkovo (no idea)
And Arnie, of course

What an absurdly random list of names

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
Ukraine is a sovereign nation who can invite whoever they like to come to their country and train them. They don't need permission from their very large neighbours.
Why is Russia so spooked about a small neighbour talking to a defensive alliance? It is no threat to them, unless, of course, they had designs on some of that land.

Russia claims to be spooked by the prospect of having NATO and it's associated weaponry hard up against it's western border , Russia has been receiving a lot of support from eastern countries who have been ****ed over by NATO forces over the last 30 years and imperialist western society in general over the last 400yrs + NATO and America generally seen as warmongers. Spoke to a mate last night who has been living in Goa for 15 yrs , he said the anti America sentiment is growing daily , if , as is suggested the oil dollar changes from the U.S dollar to another currency , most likely the Yuan then Amerca could be at the top of a very slippery slope right now.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Russia claims to be spooked by the prospect of having NATO and it's associated weaponry hard up against it's western border , Russia has been receiving a lot of support from eastern countries who have been ****ed over by NATO forces over the last 30 years and imperialist western society in general over the last 400yrs + NATO and America generally seen as warmongers. Spoke to a mate last night who has been living in Goa for 15 yrs , he said the anti America sentiment is growing daily , if , as is suggested the oil dollar changes from the U.S dollar to another currency , most likely the Yuan then Amerca could be at the top of a very slippery slope right now.

I think they are 'spooked', but for no other reason than paranoia. As for 400 years...wtf? Glad your mate in Goa has his finger on the pulse. :lolol:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

NATO was formed in 1949. Don’t confuse America with NATO as it is just one nation. NATO is a defensive organisation and has never been an aggressor.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I do not remember a single occasion in my lifetime where NATO have made any noises at all about invading the Eastern Bloc (old school) or Russia. It is just jingoist paranoia brought about by Russia’s own aggressive justification for their desire to expand their empire.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Russia claims to be spooked by the prospect of having NATO and it's associated weaponry hard up against it's western border ,

Yet they have been for years in Poland and the Baltic states.

Russia has been receiving a lot of support from eastern countries who have been ****ed over by NATO forces over the last 30 years and imperialist western society in general over the last 400yrs +

Name them.

NATO and America generally seen as warmongers.

Despite not starting the war?

Spoke to a mate last night who has been living in Goa for 15 yrs , he said the anti America sentiment is growing daily , if , as is suggested the oil dollar changes from the U.S dollar to another currency , most likely the Yuan then Amerca could be at the top of a very slippery slope right now.

Cool story, bro.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Spoke to a mate last night who has been living in Goa for 15 yrs , he said the anti America sentiment is growing daily , if , as is suggested the oil dollar changes from the U.S dollar to another currency , most likely the Yuan then Amerca could be at the top of a very slippery slope right now.

That’s like so REAL, man. People are just so stuck in their like ‘conventional’ views dude. They really don’t KNOW how the world actually works, like your mate in Goa.

42f32d3d5789b812b704943563b0a9fc.jpg

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020

RT
Dmitriy Medvedev
Sputnik (state media)
Russian Government
Elon Musk
BRICS
ThinkRussia (no comment)
World Economic Forum
EU Council Press Office
Barack Obama
10 Downing Street
Stephen Harper
Jens Stoltenberg
Skolkovo (no idea)
And Arnie, of course

The things you learn on NSC !

I'm drawn to one twitter account on that list though - Cristina Kirchner.
Why are the Kremlin (=Putin) following her?

To see what mischief they can make over the Falklands of course !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here