[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Nice idea, but not really viable. Missions are routinely recorded like dashcam footage for post-mission debrief. If he dropped his payload in a field and / or ejected, writing off a $15-$20m warplane in the process, then the pilot would likely be spending his forseeable future in a Siberian labour camp.

At best.
They might need to expand the camps, 8 generals, the FSB Officials plus 10k+ protesters

Sent from my SM-G991B using Tapatalk

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They might need to expand the camps, 8 generals, the FSB Officials plus 10k+ protesters

I'm quite sure they would. A 20 year stretch in Butlinski, breaking up boulders in a quarry and digging up frozen turnips.

Probably still preferable to a week in Bognor, mind.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

The year is 2025.

Everyone in Russia bar Putin has been sent to Siberia, which is on the verge of declaring independence as a result.

Putin refuses to leave the country because everywhere he goes they just play the Curb Your Enthusiasm theme at him.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I don’t claim to be a military expert in the slightest, but surely it can’t be a sign that things are going well for Russia to lose several high-ranking officers in such a short timeframe? I guess losing one might be a risk, but aren’t senior officers usually nowhere near the actual fighting?

Like I say, no expert and happy to be corrected.

I agree which is why the statement is remarkable and worth sharing. It’s why I also identified the sources.

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
Is this the time to mention that when so many western firms and companies have pulled out / stopped supplying / suspended services to Russia, Marks & Spencer has refused to close its stores and continues to operate. They seem to believe that collecting for Ukraine at the checkouts is an adequate substitute for them to continuing to trade.

The CEO of M&S is Steve Rowe and his email address is:

steve.rowe@marks-and-spencer.com

I hope many others will join me in lobbying Mr Rowe in the hope that he understands that the stance being taken by his organisation is supporting a brutal, murderous regime.

Email sent

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
Media here is reporting that Putin is preparing to bring in overseas fighters from Syria to aid his forces. Am I missing something?

Seems a bit tinpot for a ‘superpower’.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Incredibly inspirational words from Kyiv mayor Vitali Klitschko in the past couple of hours. **** me they're up for this fight and what leaders they have.
https://youtu.be/5x1WNBX8Ou4

That’s Vladimir Klitschko, Vitali’s brother, but I agree those are incredibly stirring words spoken from the heart and not from a script. He’s a hugely impressive man, and more eloquent and charismatic when speaking the English language than most Englishmen. Brave as a fúcking bear.

I wish him and his people all the hope in the world. They not only need it, but thoroughly deserve it.

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
Media here is reporting that Putin is preparing to bring in overseas fighters from Syria to aid his forces. Am I missing something?

Tit for tat, political PR bullshit. I suspect of no more significance than their cessation of Lada exports as some kind of supposed sanction.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade

Putin seems to have pulled some of his airforce back as well. Maybe if half the Syrian army shift across the Free Syrian Army could retake lost ground

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
[tweet]1502337993012658177[/tweet]

Fascinating thread

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
That’s Vladimir Klitschko, Vitali’s brother, but I agree those are incredibly stirring words spoken from the heart and not from a script. He’s a hugely impressive man, and more eloquent and charismatic when speaking the English language than most Englishmen. Brave as a fúcking bear.

I wish him and his people all the hope in the world. They not only need it, but thoroughly deserve it.

Beg pardon. Took the name from the comments section. Poor fact checking on my part. :hilton:

McTavish

Nov 5, 2014

At the height of the Roman empire over half of their troops were auxillaries, non-Romans who fought alongside the Roman legionaries. Among the most famous of these were the Syrian archers.

History repeating itself...

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Reports suggests that middle-eastern fighters are signing up for both sides. Great, just what Europe needs, a load of Islamists running around. After keeping them out, ISIS get an open invitation to come to the party.

:ffsparr:

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
[tweet]1502337993012658177[/tweet]

Fascinating thread

That's an interesting one.

The voices of dissent, while not yet a clamour, are becoming more numerous, and being heard in unexpected places, like Russian state controlled TV.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I do believe that if there is going to be regime change (or at least a change at the top), then the best and most fitting way it could happen, is through an awakening of the Russian people.

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
That's an interesting one.

The voices of dissent, while not yet a clamour, are becoming more numerous, and being heard in unexpected places, like Russian state controlled TV.

Maybe it's wishful thinking, but I do believe that if there is going to be regime change (or at least a change at the top), then the best and most fitting way it could happen, is through an awakening of the Russian people.

Or a standard coup d'état, hasty court martial and execution of Putin in a kangaroo night court, and complete withdrawal of troops.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports