Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Razzoo

Sep 11, 2011
N. Yorkshire
All i'd say mate is that you're quoting a person widely recognised as a purveyor of disinformation on a thread where at least two people are directly affected with their family involved and all the others are trying to navigate a highly emotionally charged story.

Nobody is saying you can't present a different view, but the smart messages like the one above make you look, (and this is an extremely generous interpretation) that you've misread the room

I have sympathy for all innocent people caught up in this invasion and I am going to leave this discussion now. I didn't intend to cause any harm.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
I can't believe how uninterested the UK government appear to be in taking refugees from Ukraine and yet we flew in military aircraft to evacuate people from Afghanistan. Whether the government like it or not we're Europeans, and we should be doing all we can to help our fellow Europeans. Why are we not sending military aircraft to Poland or Hungary to pick up Ukrainian refugees, and why are we insisting on Ukrainians having to go through such complicated visa entry requirements, when many Afghan refugees who didn't work for the British forces, were just let in without any questions asked. It's an appalling state of affairs.

Last edited:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yep…so the main part of the building was evacuated……..
Still zero justification for it. If Putin is still around at the end of this (unlikely IMO) not sure what an appropriate punishment will be.
Make him spend the rest of his days with no one for company but some choice NSC members

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
I can't believe how uninterested the UK government appear to be in taking refugees from Ukraine and yet we flew in military aircraft to evacuate people from Afghanistan. Whether the government like it or not we're Europeans, and we should be doing all we can to help our fellow Europeans. Why are we not sending military aircraft to Poland or Hungary to pick up Ukrainian refugees, and why are we insisting on Ukrainians having to go through such complicated visa entry requirements, when many Afghan refugees who didn't work for the British forces, were just let in without any questions asked. It's an appalling state of affairs.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/10/priti-patel-career-cabinet-reshuffle-ukraine

This goes some way to explaining the appalling U.K. stance.
As well as Patel not being willing to relax immigration laws it also suggests that the Tory party are in fact a very disorganised mob who aren’t really capable of getting things sorted quickly. Especially when it goes against the party’s own interests.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
I can't believe how uninterested the UK government appear to be in taking refugees from Ukraine and yet we flew in military aircraft to evacuate dogs from Afghanistan. Whether the government like it or not we're Europeans, and we should be doing all we can to help our fellow Europeans. Why are we not sending military aircraft to Poland or Hungary to pick up Ukrainian refugees, and why are we insisting on Ukrainians having to go through such complicated visa entry requirements, when many Afghan refugees who didn't work for the British forces, were just let in without any questions asked. It's an appalling state of affairs.

Apologies, I've taken the liberty of amending your post slightly.

Zebedee

Anyone seen Florence?
Jul 8, 2003
Hangleton
Apologies, I've taken the liberty of amending your post slightly.

I'd rather you hadn't.

We airlifted a very large number of Afghan refugees and to suggest it was just dogs completely distorts the facts. For what's it's worth, I am a long term member of NOWZAD and I fully supported the airlift of the animals.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2022/mar/10/priti-patel-career-cabinet-reshuffle-ukraine

As well as Patel not being willing to relax immigration laws it also suggests that the Tory party are in fact a very disorganised mob who aren’t really capable of getting things sorted quickly. Especially when it goes against the party’s own interests.

I don't even need to read the article in your link. I already know what it says.

Incompetence. Dithering. Headless chickens. Cluck, cluck. Need to discuss with other senior Tories. Can't get hold of them. Whose decision is it? Don't know who to contact. Why haven't my staff given me their mobile numbers? Didn't see this coming. What is our policy on this? etc etc.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

They want the message to be chaos and hassle, don't come here stay in the EU, its a lot easier.

Interesting Patel is getting in a paddy (pardon the pun) for Ukrainians getting into the UK via the Irish backdoor route. A disgrace if you consider her own family were give sanctuary here in the 70's from Uganda

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021

There's overwhelming public support for allowing Ukrainian refugees in.

The only explanation I can offer for the Tory parties intransigence on the issue is that Johnson is still totally in hock to the Tory right, Baker, Bone, all that crowd, who are the only set of people against this. These are the people who actually decide the direction of this country

Poojah

Nov 19, 2010
Leeds
'Russia hits back at Western sanctions with export bans'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60689279

This is brutal. Take a look at the vans on the production line.

It's going to hit buyers of 1960s Soviet vans hard.

It's a lot easier for the entire developed world to sanction a single country than it is for a single country to sanction the entire developed world. I understand why they've done it from a political point of view, but this is a mere drop in the ocean to the west.

They could of course block exports of gas and oil to the west, which would be problematic for Europe in particular, but it would also be economic suicide for them.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There's overwhelming public support for allowing Ukrainian refugees in.

The only explanation I can offer for the Tory parties intransigence on the issue is that Johnson is still totally in hock to the Tory right, Baker, Bone, all that crowd, who are the only set of people against this. These are the people who actually decide the direction of this country

While more than happy to pile into Johnson I suspect this is simply yet another cock up. We don't know how to let refugees in, in an orderly fashion.

Normally we just leave them to cross the channel in a trafficker's boat, supplying cheap labour to the black economy. :shrug:

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I'm pretty sure those are the vans, where you have to light a fire (a real fire with wood and stuff) under the engine, to heat the diesel, as they won't start otherwise in the Siberian mornings.
I had an old lorry like that, I used to warm the diesel with a blow lamp :lolol:

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
'Russia hits back at Western sanctions with export bans'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-60689279

This is brutal. Take a look at the vans on the production line.

It's going to hit buyers of 1960s Soviet vans hard.

Isn't this effectively the same as us boycotting/banning Russian goods though? The end result is less income flowing into Russia? Odd stance to take I would have thought.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here