Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
What is it about the bare chest? The bare chest while fishing? The knife big enough to disembowel a bear?

That's the kind of thing you might do in your teens. You know, before you develop a sense of judgement, that tells you that fishing bare-chested with a bowie knife isn't a good look.
As a youngster it was standard practice to carry a knife like this when fishing. It was legal " just " , and served the purpose of making kid's look right hard.

More worrying is wearing a wrist watch on your right wrist, awful faux pas.

Klaas

I've changed this
Nov 1, 2017
[tweet]1501186187565936641[/tweet]

:clap: Well said.
Our response to helping Ukranian refugees has been shameful, but unfortunately these days I'm not greatly surprised.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's an oxymoron. You can't have it that nothing ever works.

A multitude of things lead to WWII, which obviously constitutes a disaster. Once WWII started it's difficult to imagine anything would have ever appeased Hitler and I believe we'd have had much more death and much less freedom now if we hadn't fought and won.

The point being leaving half of Europe occupied by Stalin wasn’t a victory.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
[tweet]1501186187565936641[/tweet]

:clap: Well said.
Our response to helping Ukranian refugees has been shameful, but unfortunately these days I'm not greatly surprised.

After her dodgy back channel with Israel she is should be no where near public office. She'll be lady Patel soon, just needs one more sacking first

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Look, I've fvcked up in my time, but honesty is always the best policy. Admit everything. The difference between Putin and me, is that I would immediately fess up and say 'It's a fair cop. We all make mistakes', but Putin still believes he hasn't done anything wrong, is justified in his actions, and any consequences are someone else's fault. That's his weakness. He doesn't take responsibility. It's a character flaw. IMO.

Putin has removed any voices that will challenge him and surrounded himself with sycophants. Classic trait for a ruthless dictator.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Well look like Biden has intervened over the idea to give Ukraine the Polish MIG's. Good move, IMO the risk / reward doesn't add up

aolstudios

Nov 30, 2011
brighton
Try telling the millions Stalin killed and the millions he starved to death after WWII, that he'd be sat celebrating victory with the allies with half of Europe in his pocket. It was a victory for the Jews, but it condemned millions to subjugation and starvation. It's not really a competition to see who suffered more at the hands of 2 of History's most murderous dictators.

I didn't make it a competition.
That post just did though ^

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012
As a youngster it was standard practice to carry a knife like this when fishing. It was legal " just " , and served the purpose of making kid's look right hard.

More worrying is wearing a wrist watch on your right wrist, awful faux pas.

Even though I'm right handed, I eat left handed and wear my watch on my right wrist.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the MiG story is peculiar, did the politicans run ahead of themselves with a idea before more thoughtful brains saw the flaws? i read they were off to Germany for a refit, now neither nation wants to be seen to actually handing them over.

no one is asking what the Ukrainians would do with them. on paper they have 23 MiG-29 and 16 Su-27 unable to use effectively.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
After her dodgy back channel with Israel she is should be no where near public office. She'll be lady Patel soon, just needs one more sacking first

Far from defending her as she seems to be living up to her name of Priti Useless, but wasn't it a Labour minister, John Reid who said 'the Home Office is not fit for purpose'. It just seems civil servants run it for civil servants - nothing seems to change.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
What I don't get about the Mig jet saga, is how, right now, could Ukraine buy jets on the open market? Clearly Nato aren't going to sell or gift to them? So then, a non-NATO anti Russian country?? And what is the difference between gifting them 1000s of anti-tank weapons, and stingers, versus a couple of jets? They must have an 'allowed' list.
Sorry to say I think Russia will slowly overcome their logistical problems, then the encircling assault from that 40 mile convoy will recommence. Similar could happen in the south around Zaporizhzhia.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

highflyer

Jan 21, 2016
Far from defending her as she seems to be living up to her name of Priti Useless, but wasn't it a Labour minister, John Reid who said 'the Home Office is not fit for purpose'. It just seems civil servants run it for civil servants - nothing seems to change.

The bit that deals with immigration is hopeless and dysfunctional. But it is hopeless and disfunctional for a reason. Spending money on efficient, fair and effective immigration and asylum systems has not been a political 'winner' for many decades. And most politcians are cowards, who don't want to do the right thing if it means coming under fire from the Sun/Mail/Express etc.This was certainly true when I had some experience of it under the last labour government and I would imagine it has only got worse. A lot worse.. It's been starved of funds, and status, and thus will struggle to recruit and retain good people.

So yes, these departments may be crap - but they crap as a poliitcal choice. A choice which (as we have seen, time and time again) has direct consequences for very vulnerable people. Ony this time it's vulnerable people that look like us and are popular with the tabloids. But you can't suddenly make a massive disfuntional organization functional overnight.

raymondo

Apr 26, 2017
Wiltshire
I understand better now:
- US/NATO decline offer of Polish jets cos of risk of escalation of war, and cos they don't think it will make a significant difference to the situation
- according to a Reuters report from March 4th, US believe that Ukraine still has vast majority of it's military aircraft intact, and decent viability in its air defense systems.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here