[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
In other words, let’s say Russia drop a nuke of ANY size on Ukraine, how do the defensive unit NATO respond to a country that is not in NATO.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
What's your definition of a 'small nuke"?

10,000 deaths? 100,000 deaths?

The answer is the same either way surely?

The west cowers in fear that Putin does the same to them and lets it slide, all the while continuing to buy Russian oil reserves and restricting refugee intake. China continues to urge for both sides to agree a peaceful resolution

It's what makes it a possibility

Is it PotG?

Thrifty non-licker
Feb 20, 2017
Sussex by the Sea
The answer is the same either way surely?

The west cowers in fear that Putin does the same to them and lets it slide, all the while continuing to buy Russian oil reserves and restricting refugee intake. China continues to urge for both sides to agree a peaceful resolution

It's what makes it a possibility

My 60p bet is that if any nuclear arms are used of any size then we're all fooked.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
My 60p bet is that if any nuclear arms are used of any size then we're all fooked.

Ok, I’m simple terms…

If Russia nuke Ukraine (a country not in NATO) How does anybody think NATO would respond, based on the fact that they are a DEFENSIVE alliance who would fight to protect the members of its own organisation?

I’m not trying to catch you out I’m just asking!

Thanks

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Christ, they’ve even got the Wookiee’s on board. Not just the world, the whole universe stands against Putin.

They’re great fighters but also top drawer at logistics. One can do the Odessa run in less than 12 parsecs.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Ok, I’m simple terms…

If Russia nuke Ukraine (a country not in NATO) How does anybody think NATO would respond, based on the fact that they are a DEFENSIVE alliance who would fight to protect the members of its own organisation?

I’m not trying to catch you out I’m just asking!

Thanks

Nato wouldn't intervene is my guess

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
An extract from a DT article (not verified at the mo)..a
Apols if fixtures…I looked but it was all nuclear

The Ukrainian military appears to have severely damaged one of the two warships that attacked Snake Island.

A video shared by the Ukrainian navy on Monday showed what appears to be a night-time firefight, with rockets flaming across a dark sky. The rocket exchange is followed by the sound of two men trying to work out whether they hit the ship.

Last edited:

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
What's your definition of a 'small nuke"?

10,000 deaths? 100,000 deaths?

Hiroshima was 15 kilotonnes.

Both the US and Russia have strategic nukes at around 4 kilotonnes up to 15 megatonnes (1000 x Hiroshimas). The biggest ever tested was Russia's Tsar Bomba which supposedly was 50megatonnes however it never went into active production as it weighed too much to be practical.

indy3050

Jun 22, 2011
Hiroshima was 15 kilotonnes.

Both the US and Russia have strategic nukes at around 4 kilotonnes up to 15 megatonnes (1000 x Hiroshimas). The biggest ever tested was Russia's Tsar Bomba which supposedly was 50megatonnes however it never went into active production as it weighed too much to be practical.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
How do these Russian soldiers sleep at night, evil through and through it seems.
Hmmm - get shot by their opposition or get executed by their own. Not much of a deal unless there was enough of them of the same mind to swap sides. Mostly poor conscripted kids who have been brainwashed by Putin’s henchmen.

Saying that, we don’t really know what’s going on with the 40 mile convoy that seems to have stalled and looking like sitting ducks. Have all the drivers done a runner?
Just more victims of Putin. ( I don't mean Kadyrov's thugs or Wagner mercenaries obviously. )

[Tweet]1500465032966062082[/Tweet]

clarkey

Jan 3, 2006
Ukrainian MP on BBC News 24 saying they’re not hitting the convoy as hard as they could as so many parts of it are next to suburbs.

Apparently the Russians scarper into the nearby villages and hold them hostage, taking their food etc. So Ukraine are deliberately holding back to avoid more of these situations

Cotton Socks

Skint Supporter
Feb 20, 2017
How do these Russian soldiers sleep at night, evil through and through it seems.

From my limited knowledge, they are conscripted at 18. I would imagine that a large percentage are 18/19 year olds, that if they were in the UK would be at college. The conscripts who don't want to be there probably wont be able to sleep at night. You're an 18 year old conscript who had no idea what they were going in to do but when faced with the reality of what was expected, what are you going to do? Do what you're told or be shot anyway for disobeying orders? Not all of them are brainwashed & want to be fighting for the 'Russian' cause, but those have no choice.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports