Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Russia invades Ukraine (24/02/2022)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
What the US wants and what NATO wants have a very strong connection. Its funny how the propaganda machine (a.k.a. media) are very quick to mention Russian influence in elections while completely ignoring the influence the US has had and likely will have. When you all go to war to bomb some nation somewhere, US is the main beneficiary, when what is public turns private in Europe, American businesses are the ones who benefit the most from it... American influence shaped the modern western world. They've infiltrated our politics, cultures and businesses and steered western Europe into becoming a mini-America. We're all in the pockets of the American oligarchy.

The 29 other nations in NATO aside from America have a great say in what happens. America was against Britain fighting Argentina in 1982 for instance but we still did it.

We'll agree to disagree.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
The 29 other nations in NATO aside from America have a great say in what happens. America was against Britain fighting Argentina in 1982 for instance but we still did it.

We'll agree to disagree.

Indeed. Went a bit OT.

My initial point still stands: it is completely understandable that Russia doesnt want Western military bases in Ukraine just like it is completely understandable that UK wouldnt want Russian bases on Ireland and the US wouldnt want it on Cuba.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Bit of a ramping up today, according to officials in Kazakhstan the recent riots have been caused by internationally trained and armed thugs and terrorists, obviously Russian troops have moved in to bolster local forces and aid the retreat of their internationally trained and armed thugs and terrorists.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
This could be a great result for Johnson if it suddenly goes off. Russians using the good old tactic of using insiders to start a coup then beg for support from the handily placed Russian invasion force that just happened to be waiting.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
The cost of invasion for Russia in blood and treasure simply needs to be made too high even for Putin.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
This could be a great result for Johnson if it suddenly goes off. Russians using the good old tactic of using insiders to start a coup then beg for support from the handily placed Russian invasion force that just happened to be waiting.

might have worked last centuray, i dont get it now. who does Putin need to convince, that will believe it?

i dont really get the whole play anyway, beyond a threat to invade stirring up the west, seems counter-productive for Russia to actually do so.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
might have worked last centuray, i dont get it now. who does Putin need to convince, that will believe it?

i dont really get the whole play anyway, beyond a threat to invade stirring up the west, seems counter-productive for Russia to actually do so.
It plays very well with the Russian home fans, shows Putin as a " Strong " manager with good tactics compared to our lot plus, they are getting their " Empire ' back piece by piece......they took Crimea back, got a chunk of Ukraine with more to follow, shot down a passenger jet, committed air piracy to detain a meddlsome journalist and poisoned people with nerve agents home and away and ran possibly the most drugged up Olympics ever and pretty much got away with all of it other than a telling off!

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden

It worked with the West-backed "revolution" in 2014 and most Westerners believed it was entirely natural and organic. Putin doing the exact same thing would similarly probably trick a lot of people in Russia/pro-Russians.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It worked with the West-backed "revolution" in 2014 and most Westerners believed it was entirely natural and organic. Putin doing the exact same thing would similarly probably trick a lot of people in Russia/pro-Russians.

major differences, 1) no one in the west cared, 2) no tanks involved.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Curious as to what Russia wants or needs here. Ukraine cannot join NATO now as it has a disputed territitory (Crimea and Donetsk). That was one of the main strategic aims.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
This is a show of force and testing how far it can push the Americans and their appetite for conflict.
the Ukraine is probably not the real aim or target.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here