Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Roberto De Zerbi To Leave Albion After Tomorrow's Game

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I still can't help but think this could all have been avoided if we'd simply got in another fullback, midfield and right winger. Things we will still need to do in the summer.
But we didn’t, we may have tried our best with the criteria we set - what you don’t need however is your manager calling it out whenever he gets a chance.

Without all the injury problems we would have been a lot more competitive in what is a decent finish still all things considered.

It’s been tough and frustrating knowing that whenever we got something going, we got another key injury. What you need is someone at the helm that is backing the philosophy of the club - not railing against it.

Berty23

Jun 26, 2012
One things for certain. Roberto was ambitious for us and believed we could go for anything, top 4 was his aim if not a title challenge. We've never had that ambition with any previous manager. He bought out the best with many players and by all accounts they loved working for him (Trossard and Sanchez) excluded!
I was wondering about whether he was a smart guy with his selection at forest last season. Some of our players clearly needed a rest after Wembley and they were done in. He refused to give the likes Gilmour a game when our centre mids were complete toast after the semi. Even if we had not won that match they would have been rested. Instead we lost and they were even more tired.

Maybe with his ambition he took his eye off the ball. Or was he making an early statement about how he needed players?

SteveU

May 31, 2022
Some great times with De Zerbi but!!!

His one style of play has been sussed this season. Best for both parties. Was inevitable in a way.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
But we didn’t, we may have tried our best with the criteria we set - what you don’t need however is your manager calling it out whenever he gets a chance.

Without all the injury problems we would have been a lot more competitive in what is a decent finish still all things considered.

It’s been tough and frustrating knowing that whenever we got something going, we got another key injury. What you need is someone at the helm that is backing the philosophy of the club - not railing against it.
Or a philosophy of the club that hasn't been exposed as being massively flawed and left us totally exposed all season and since Jan in particular.

I think it a real shame there couldn't have been compromise.

We needed quite a few in during the summer anyway. Now we need a complete squad overhaul for a new manager.

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
Tony can’t win can he. Hughton was sacked at the end of the season and loads moaned that we didn’t get a chance to say goodbye. de Zerbi gets sacked (I know, mutual agreement) and we get the last game to say goodbye. What happens? Brighton fans still f***ing moaning.
Are you new? Fans always have, and always will, moan and catastrophize :D

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
Or a philosophy of the club that hasn't been exposed as being massively flawed and left us totally exposed all season and since Jan in particular.

I think it a real shame there couldn't have been compromise.

We needed quite a few in during the summer anyway. Now we need a complete squad overhaul for a new manager.
'Complete squad overhaul'. I disagree, given that some of our best players will return from injury and we have many other younger stars, that is overstating things. I agree we need to strengthen midfield though.

Hiheidi

Dec 27, 2022
Naylor:

The departure of Roberto De Zerbi from Brighton & Hove Albion boils down to one core issue. There are irreconcilable differences between the head coach and owner-chairman Tony Bloom about how the club should operate in the transfer market. Bloom will not budge on the principles that have served them so well up to now. De Zerbi is equally strong-minded about what he believes he needs to maintain progress.

Terry Butcher Tribute Act

Aug 18, 2013
'Complete squad overhaul'. I disagree, given that some of our best players will return from injury and we have many other younger stars, that is overstating things. I agree we need to strengthen midfield though.
We arguably need a left back, a centre back, a right back, a Lallana replacement, a right winger and a new centre mid. And we are a bit short up front too. And they all need to fit the style of whatever new manager we appoint. It's not an ideal situation. The failure of Jan means we are now playing catch up.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I'm not sure its much worse. But it's the continued long injuries that are really worrying.
March has a ACL - not surprised it’s 12 months. Is that more worrying than it was 6 months ago. Estupinan had an op and will be back in Sept. What else ?? - everyone else is back for pre season.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
March has a ACL - not surprised it’s 12 months. Is that more worrying than it was 6 months ago. Estupinan had an op and will be back in Sept. What else ?? - everyone else is back for pre season.

Are they definitely though ? What about fergie and mitoma. Seems some doubt there as well.

I blame RDZs over training of the players for this so that's one good thing about him going.

Reactions: cjd

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
An updated song

We've got Super Rob De Zerbi, (for another 90 mins),
He knows exactly what we need, (another manager),
Fergie in a leg cast,
Dunkie at the treatment room,
we're going to win 10th place!

might need some work.

I really enjoyed singing the original in Athens, Amsterdam and Rome. it has been a hell of a couple of seasons. I'm gonna miss the wee fella. he was excited as I was when we scored, as nervous as penalties were taken. I hope he does great, I hope we do better. (you don't want your ex being happier without you!)

He’s a majestic 5’9” :love:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I was wondering about whether he was a smart guy with his selection at forest last season. Some of our players clearly needed a rest after Wembley and they were done in. He refused to give the likes Gilmour a game when our centre mids were complete toast after the semi. Even if we had not won that match they would have been rested. Instead we lost and they were even more tired.

Maybe with his ambition he took his eye off the ball. Or was he making an early statement about how he needed players?

He can’t win. Labelled a squad rotation merchant and “Why don’t we always play our best 11 players like Emery and Arteta”.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Some great times and best football I’ve seen in the time I’ve watched the Albion.

But clear RDZ has lost his mojo with the Albion and isn’t happy here. It’s easy to start to believe your own hype when so many other managers and the press are raving about you so I guess he has more lofty ambitions than he can achieve either at the Albion or with the budget he is being offered.

Personally I don’t think he is ready for the next level, I don’t think his current style will win him trophies and on occasions he needs to be more pragmatic to take the step up.

The club probably feel his behaviour and demands have forced their hand and can’t take the risk he won’t walk next season when another club comes calling. TB and PB have to do what is best for the club and that there is no road forward (at least long term) with RDZ at the helm.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
You blame him based upon what knowledge exactly?
He says himself he absolutely rags the players in training. If it was up to him they would train 6/7 days a week. Remember when he came in he was shocked how little we trained.

The same happened with his mate Bielsa at Leeds. The players were completely broken by the time he left.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Are they definitely though ? What about fergie and mitoma. Seems some doubt there as well.

I blame RDZs over training of the players for this so that's one good thing about him going.
well nothing is definite but this is how it was reported a couple of days ago. Looks as you'd expect.
Pretty much everyone back is due back for next season aside from Estupinan. Its a long list and some have been out a long time so of course it might not pan out like that - but nothing there too suprising.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here