Robbo: The timing was wrong

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Hardly surprising if thats true teaboy, after all its been one cock up after another since Tinker left.
:nono:

Very amateur.

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
According to Simon, Robbo was offered something in the region of £1,500 per week basic PLUS appearance and goal related bonuses, which could have gone up to £3k per week in the playing season, not far off BZ's wages.

As for never speaking to Robbo, some discussuion went on last season BEFORE he was officially released by Charlton. My understanding is Cardiff offered £4,000 per week, not bad wages for a Division one player in the current circumstances.

To be fair to Robbo (who I think it past it anyway), £2,500 per week is quite a substantial difference.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Danny Seagull said:
Oh bloody brilliant. Another monumental cock-up by the club. Well done :clap:

You don't want to take everything you see on a message board as face value. We don't know what was offered (or what is reasonable), and we certainly don't know how long Robinson gave the club to deliberate.

Besides which, if we were right down the line with negotiations, do you think he wouldn't have U-turned if Cardiff hadn't then jumped in with an offer of £5k a week?

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
Lord Bracknell said:
I think the playing budget is in SC's control. There's no evidence that it is being raided to fund other things.

No and there is no evidence that he has been given a decent budget to start with!:nono:

We are all expected to pay the same as/more than last year, but Coppell's budget cannot be anywhere near as much. As for Falmer, it will be an asset owned by the club and others. That investment should be funded by shareholders, not from ticket sales!

The fans pay enough to expect to be getting a decent product for their money. I.e. a decent team to watch (even when getting wet each week).:mad:

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
teaboy said:
From someone who knows:

John Robinson was willing to take a substancial wage cut in order to come to Brighton, but was left hanging on longer than he felt necessary without any decisions being made. The club only has itself to blame.

I don't know what money either party were talking about, but he will always be a Brighton man at heart.

I have this info from direct from Robinson's best man at his wedding, so is reliable.

...Similar story to Steve Brown (11 days)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Mullers said:
As for Falmer, it will be an asset owned by the club and others. That investment should be funded by shareholders, not from ticket sales!
mad:

Not until we get planning permission I would guess and that's what we're spending on at the moment. Of course I could be wrong.

Mullers said:
No and there is no evidence that he has been given a decent budget to start with!
A number of us might recall a conversation, at the end of last season, just before the REMF game, when "someone closely associated with the club" revealed that, by second division standards, Steve Coppell was very satisfied with the playing budget he would have available for 2003/04.

Had we survived the drop, things might have been different, of course.

As for Falmer, it will be an asset owned by the club and others. That investment should be funded by shareholders, not from ticket sales!
It became clear at the Public Inquiry that Falmer will be funded by loans, and that a proportion of the loans would be secured against future season ticket sales.

Current season ticket sales contribute to current running costs at Withdean - including, I guess, the current playing budget.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
I hang my head in shame - we are the total "SKINT" people

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
I know shit all about about anything at the moment - but maybe the board is hoping with the current crop of players and no new signings that promotion isn't unrealistic - and with the funds going towards Falmer, they are hoping for blues skies ahead. Really it seems everything is resting on it. But what do I know.

Mullers

Banned
Jul 6, 2003
Good old Sussex by the sea!
slug balancer said:
I know shit all about about anything at the moment - but maybe the board is hoping with the current crop of players and no new signings that promotion isn't unrealistic - and with the funds going towards Falmer, they are hoping for blues skies ahead. Really it seems everything is resting on it. But what do I know.

Quite. You have overlooked the fact that the planning enquiry has nearly gone tits-up, and we are in the middle of an extension that was granted as the result of a last-minute plea by the club! Also, the desperate plea for fans to renew their season tickets early 'cos the club was strapped for cash. I suspect that most of this season's revenues have already been spent on Falmer! :nono:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports