Robbo: The timing was wrong

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
This is from the Albion website

John Robinson has revealed why he signed for Cardiff rather than rejoining Albion.

The former Charlton winger believes the timing was wrong for the Seagulls, but he has not ruled out ending his career with them.

Robinson joined Cardiff on a two-year contract yesterday after preliminary contact with Albion involving his agent.

The Seagulls' interest went no further once they were made aware of his wage demands.

Robinson said: "We gave them what would be our minimum, which was considerably lower than others around, and it never went further.

"We didn't actually sit down with Steve (Coppell). I don't think the timing was quite right for them.

"I had a really good feeling about Cardiff as well, even though theirs was not the biggest offer on the table.

"They are looking for a new stadium and they are not in the First Division to make the numbers up.

"Everyone knows what I think of Brighton. I've signed for two years at Cardiff, so we'll see what happens. I will only be 33 then and hopefully not past my sell-by date."

Albion transfer target Steve Hunt has signed a week-to-week contract with Brentford.

He came off the bench to score in a 2-2 friendly draw against Millwall yesterday.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Yorkie said:

Robinson said: "We gave them what would be our minimum, which was considerably lower than others around, and it never went further.

then we must've offered something like £2 a week :eek:
If he wanted a lower wage and we still say no then what money for wages have we got?

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
But will we still need him in 2 years' time when Falmer is in the bag and the income starts pouring in? Don't mind me, I'm having a glass-half-full day.

JJ McClure

Go Jags
Jul 7, 2003
Hassocks
Albion Dan said:
WHAT THE f*** HAS HAPPENED TO OUR MONEY????:mad:

Its been shared between Ecovert, and our solicitors

I don't think Steve Coppell was ever very interested.

Now it's all over, I guess I can reveal the conversation I had with Martin Perry at the Public Inquiry (the day before the announcement that SC had agreed to a new contract).

Me:- Well, Martin, is Steve Coppell going to sign?

MP:- I have no idea and couldn't possibly tell you.

Me:- Fair enough. But what about John Robinson?

MP:- All will become clear when Steve ... Er, I mean, if Steve Coppell takes up the job.

What I read into all this is that this year we have a Manager who takes the decisions, rather than a Chairman who decides who we are going to sign.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We've trimmed high earners off the bill and season tickets are the same price as last season.

I'm just hoping Coppell is biding his time looking for a bargain. I have to say, I don't think Robinson will prove to be all that useful. Cardiff are welcome to waste as much money as they like.

dunno

Old Skool
Jul 6, 2003
At work - probably
We are totally broke, we couldn't even afford someone that was gagging to come to us and we are offering Big Dave £500 a week - we are obviously much, much worse off than last year.

Playing in front of only 7000 (max) fans in a ground that is not ours and where we have to pay loads out in rent , policing and stewarding etc etc, plus a season in a higher division where presumably all the existing players got higher salaries and other players such as Butters and Kitson were brought in a Div 1 salaries, together with the Falmer saga - has totally screwed us.

I think a bit of realism is needed here - let's face it we aren't going to get any big names in and we might have to sell one or two of our players to survive - which means (and don't crucify me for this) - we might not have as great a season as we all seem to be expecting.

I know we were all hoping for one or two great signings to bolster the squad and to get us back into Div 1 with all guns blazing - but it might not happen. We might have to rely on the current squad - less one or two that might disappear when the season actually starts.

It's either that or we might go down the Wimbledon/Oldham/Bradford/Ipswich or Leicester route ie) administration.

The current squad maybe good enough - (it's done it before) - but if there were any injuries to any of the key players - BZ, Danny, Jolly, Chippy etc - we could be screwed.

I just hope that if we didn't go up and and finished ina mid-table position - that all the fans don't turn on Sir Steve or DK. If we haven't got any money - I would rather we had a couple of stablising mid-table finishes than trying to go for it in order to go back to Div 1 and go bust in one or two years time - and never get to Falmer.

I think the playing budget is in SC's control. There's no evidence that it is being raided to fund other things.

I have faith in the man - he'll make the right decisions at the right time. It's a poker game, and he's a sharp player.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I don't think we're broke. I think we are acting in a very prudent way with the cash we have available. I agree that SC is handling the situation in a clever way.

Oldham splashed out at the beginning of last season and cannot even meet the players wages now.

We are not and will not get into a situation like that.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
dunno said:
I just hope that if we didn't go up and and finished ina mid-table position - that all the fans don't turn on Sir Steve or DK. If we haven't got any money - I would rather we had a couple of stablising mid-table finishes than trying to go for it in order to go back to Div 1 and go bust in one or two years time - and never get to Falmer.

In light of recent news, I'll be happy with not getting relegated again!

Wienergull

Geht in Ordnung
Jul 10, 2003
Berlin Mitte
I think Dunno's right. Expectations have been raised too much over the last couple of years, and people should be more realistic. The fact that the club is being run prudently should in itself count for a lot in today's climate. A couple of seasons' stability (or mediocrity if you prefer) may not be such a bad thing before the Falmer effect kicks in.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
Mental Lental said:
In light of recent news, I'll be happy with not getting relegated again!

Spot on, too many people are getting too carried away in thinking we're gonna make the play offs or even go up, i personally dont see this happening with our current squad.

OK some of the div2 winning squad are still here but others like Morgan & Lewis aren't and they were really instrumental in us going up.

We haven't a pot to piss in when it comes to buying players or offering wages and any key injuries this season are really going to hurt us as we have no strength in depth anywhere on the park.

Mid table i reckon at best.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I don't know why he calls himself 'dunno' because I think his post neatly sums up the situation. We have no money, and because of the size of the ground we have a virtually non-existent positive income stream ergo we will never have money.

There are three options:

1 - We get in a Sugar Daddy with all the risks that he, literally, takes his ball home with him when he's tired of playing at Football Clubs.

2 - We go massively into debt, borrowed on the future ticket sales at Falmer.

3 - We just grin and bear it. Live of other clubs' scraps and leavings. Keep buying the replica shirts and paying the high ticket prices and hope that we can get through this Withdean hiatus with a semi-decent team, a good manager, and directors and fans who don't become disillusioned with the whole situation and quit.

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
From someone who knows:

John Robinson was willing to take a substancial wage cut in order to come to Brighton, but was left hanging on longer than he felt necessary without any decisions being made. The club only has itself to blame.

I don't know what money either party were talking about, but he will always be a Brighton man at heart.

I have this info from direct from Robinson's best man at his wedding, so is reliable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports