Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Rob Edwards

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Just think that with managerial vacancies, there might be a job available in two weeks or two years. You just don't know.

In that time, Russell, Edwards, Rosenior, the bloke from Portugal or whoever could have gone on to take a top job, or their reputations could have tanked.

All you can really do is keep tabs on a large number of potential candidates and just hope one of the better ones is available whenever the job arises.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Just think that with managerial vacancies, there might be a job available in two weeks or two years. You just don't know.

In that time, Russell, Edwards, Rosenior, the bloke from Portugal or whoever could have gone on to take a top job, or their reputations could have tanked.

All you can really do is keep tabs on a large number of potential candidates and just hope one of the better ones is available whenever the job arises.
I agree, but with the caveat that managers/coaches in jobs can be extricated from them - viz Potter to us from Swansea and then from us to …… now where did he go?
I’d like to think we did it more honourably than Chelsea!

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
I agree, but with the caveat that managers/coaches in jobs can be extricated from them - viz Potter to us from Swansea and then from us to …… now where did he go?
I’d like to think we did it more honourably than Chelsea!
Managers can be extracted, and if RDZ leaves in the summer, maybe we'll try to extract one from the Championship or wherever, but the point is that if RDZ stays for 2 more years, then the same managers might either be unavailable, because someone else has taken a punt or undesirable because, they've had a bad year.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Managers can be extracted, and if RDZ leaves in the summer, maybe we'll try to extract one from the Championship or wherever, but the point is that if RDZ stays for 2 more years, then the same managers might either be unavailable, because someone else has taken a punt or undesirable because, they've had a bad year.
Agree entirely. You can do all the preparation and research that you want, but you can only deal with the situation when it actually happens.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
The next Albion manager?
I hope so, someone punted his name in the Steve Cooper thread, and it makes complete sense to me.
A very Bloom target, young, dynamic and attacking intent is clear to see last season with how Luton never sat back, I like the fast quick breaks and he is a forward thinking manager.

Team Edwards here.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
Not for me Clive, he only took on the excellent job Nathan Jones did to get them promoted by basically not messing too much with their playing style. They had a go last season, yes, but ultimately they finished the best of the worst 3 promoted teams for many. many years and were a long way short.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
I hope so, someone punted his name in the Steve Cooper thread, and it makes complete sense to me.
A very Bloom target, young, dynamic and attacking intent is clear to see last season with how Luton never sat back, I like the fast quick breaks and he is a forward thinking manager.

Team Edwards here.
Interestingly he lasted 11 games at Watford before being fired and managed Pedro for those games!

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Not for me Clive, he only took on the excellent job Nathan Jones did to get them promoted by basically not messing too much with their playing style. They had a go last season, yes, but ultimately they finished the best of the worst 3 promoted teams for many. many years and were a long way short.
Agree with this that I don't really think he did too much amazing at Luton other than continue to steer a ship, set on the right course. He didn't do anything wrong but not sure it was any huge success either. Can't think (or know) of much he did before Luton either. Would be the biggest gamble of the 5 or 6 young(ish in some cases), English names linked to.

How would people rank

Cooper
Potter
McKenna
Russell Martin
Edwards

Before you get into Rosenior or Nathan Jones type of territory! I think Edwards is in that upper bracket but the lowest of them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Agree with this that I don't really think he did too much amazing at Luton other than continue to steer a ship, set on the right course. He didn't do anything wrong but not sure it was any huge success either. Can't think (or know) of much he did before Luton either. Would be the biggest gamble of the 5 or 6 young(ish in some cases), English names linked to.

How would people rank

Cooper
Potter
McKenna
Russell Martin
Edwards

Before you get into Rosenior or Nathan Jones type of territory! I think Edwards is in that upper bracket but the lowest of them.

Kenna would win that question by a country mile. Based on recentism in the EFL.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove

How would people rank

Cooper
Potter
McKenna
Russell Martin
Edwards

Very Thin pickings on that list.

Cooper - No.
Potter - Absolutely No.
McKenna - Ship sailed.
Russell Martin - No.
Rob Edwards - :shrug:

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009

How would people rank

Cooper
Potter
McKenna
Russell Martin
Edwards

If that's the best our continuity planning can come up with, it's crap.

Potter may well be the best coach on that list, bit still persona non grata in character.

McKenna is the only one who could've been half decent and he's not available.

I would bloody hope Barbers list is better than that.

Paris

Jul 17, 2010
13th district
We'd have the best looking manager in the Premier League and a large proportion of Brighton and Hove's general public would be swooning, if Tony appoints him.

He'll get the Tom Jones treatment.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I like Rob Edwards, he seems like a top bloke and a very decent coach... Two things strike me though:

1 - He has a very obvious and strong emotional connection with Luton, which seems reciprocated in spite of the inevitable relegation... I can't see him touting for a job tbh - I think he's loyal and will reward the club for their faith by remaining with them as they enter the new season.

2 - We're maybe in danger of basing our opinion of his abilities on our abysmal defeat in the away fixture - a game that acutely illustrated the terminal slide under RDZ perhaps more than any other... woeful doesn't describe our mental fragility in that match... we would've probably lost to any decent team in the professional pyramid based on that performance... it was a near total capitulation against an at times decent side, but one we should have been able to dominate if we'd had a motivated and engaged coach... awful.

Soooo... at the risk of ruling everyone out, it's a gentle not for me, with a large element of I'm not sure he's open to leaving Luton anyway - especially to a midtable PL club in transition.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Mate we’ve just won 5-nil away from home in the Premier League with our AFCON winner scoring a brace, keeping us in the European hunt with Europa League knockouts coming shortly and a very winnable FA Cup 5th round tie on the horizon.

Can’t we just enjoy this for now? We’re having a fantastic season. We just beat Ajax home and away for goodness sake.
Oh happy days! Post hasn't aged well! :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
i said when chelsea sacked him that Potter would be back soon enough , i'm not really arsed at the moment, the last months of the season just about drained me of football enthusiasm , what a toxic , narcissistic part of English culture it has become , sanitised support, bloggers , tourist supporters , VAR , shithouse referees , shithouse commentary , i never though i'd say it because i love the game and i love the Albion but f*** me it's tedious and all the bollocks on social media from certain identities linked to the club is frankly embarrassing.

Tony Bloom has dragged this club out of the mire , for supporters to question his commitment is as laughable as Man City's ability to escape punishment for breaching ffp rules and lining the pockets of EPL employed referees by flying them out to UAE to officiate games at 20 k a pop ....the game is not well.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here