[Food] Restaurant thread 2023

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Expected to be a tough year for hospitality so will be interesting to see how it pans out and the industry adapts to entice diners.

Was out in Brighton today and surprised by how many independent cafes & restaurants were shut for the day. A lot of trade being missed out on - Pizza Express & Wagamamas were full with queues out the door and down the road.

We went to the excellent Pond for a nice pint and some Bao buns. Only small but every table was taken and most eating so good start for them

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I’ve had a shocker - need a Mod to help me out here

Alonso Moseley

Jun 16, 2008
A friend said they very recently had a marvellous experience at Kindling, on East St. anyone know anything about the place?

A mex eyecan

Nov 3, 2011
i expect 2013 menus should offer delicacies viz a viz Spam fritters, Smash, Prawn Cocktail, Processed peas etc

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
i expect 2013 menus should offer delicacies viz a viz Spam fritters, Smash, Prawn Cocktail, Processed peas etc
Used to love the oozing with grease spam fritters that came out of the fryer at the long gone cip shop, almost next door to the Hove Park Tavern back in the day. A nice pre-match treat between the pub & the Goldstone.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Went for a lunch in the Coach and Horses in Danehill on NYD. Very busy and despite the numbers in there (and we were a table of 11) all the food was decent enough. I stand by the fact, though, that roast dinners are the most pointless meal to eat at a restaurant. I had the fish and chips and they did a job. Decent pint of Long Man Best. Service was good. 6/10

Jul 7, 2003
You can buy Spam Fritters in Iceland...although I don't think I would bother personally.

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Been to 2 great restaurants in the last week - Kusaki near Preston Circus and Rovi in that there London.

Kusaki is a veg sushi place - we sat at the bar had several plates of well cooked food and a cocktail/ glasses of wine. I don't eat meat but do fish and thought it would be meh, but each dish different enough to be intriguing. Excellent service.

For my daughter's birthday we went to Rovi in FitzROVIa. Its one of Yotam Ottolenghi 's places so expect complexly spiced, mainly veg food. Great decor and service, fantastic food and wine £180 for 3 wine and 12.5% service. It was much better than 4th and Church which we've been big fans of until a recent visit.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
L;ast year our village local the Hare & Hounds was taken over by new owners, not being very fond of the previous landlady l hadn't ventured through the doors for nigh on a couple of years. Last Sunday having heard numerous good reports, the missus and l accompanied by a couple of friends, decided to return for lunch.

We weren't to be disappointed, firstly the main course was absolutely massive, the usual choice of roast meats, in this case beef, lamb, or turkey crown, (l decided on the latter), all served with roast potatoes, parsnips, carrots, red cabbage, creamed leeks, cauliflower cheese, stuffing, and with a yorkshire pudding balanced on top.

The main course was a meal in itself, my very English dessert of rhubarb & apple crumble with lashings of fresh custard was manna from heaven. The bill for the wife and I, two courses including a very palatable bottle of Malbec, came to just shy of £70, probably pretty average for a good quality Sunday roast these days. If you are interested in venturing this way don't forget to book a table, it was packed!

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
The Sportsman, Seasalter

Went back here weekend before last didn't I.

I thought it was VERY GOOD. Everything was bang on and the service was as you'd want. The snacks mentioned on the menu were a duck liver thing, a pork belly with smoked cod roe thing and some whipped cheese on a bsicuit jobby and a panacotta to clear the palate before pudding (which was probably the only misstep as it was pretty sweet but I did choose the clearly sweetest thing on there in the ice cream). Clearly not an every day thing but if you're in the area and can get in it's still worth it in my eyes. Oh and their bread is incredible.

I had Oysters, Slip Sole, Lamb, Ice Cream.

Becase of price I'll give it a solid 7.8/10

Attachments

• IMG_7363.jpg
    IMG_7363.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 82

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports