Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Quick question on the rules of golf

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Does it count as a shot if a player makes a attempt to play the ball but totally misses it?

I think it does but my mate, who performed such an act today, unsuprisingly doesn't :)

Does anyone have a conclusive answer. It was off the tee if that makes any difference.

Titanic

Super Moderator
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
West Sussex
Bad Ash said:
Does anyone have a conclusive answer. It was off the tee if that makes any difference.

Yes any attempt to hit the ball counts as a shot - and no, it makes no difference if it is off the tee.

Stroke: A "stroke" is the forward movement of the club made with the intention of striking at and moving the ball, but if a player checks his downswing voluntarily before the clubhead reaches the ball he has not made a stroke.

Billy Seagull

Bookie Basher
Jul 5, 2003
Yes, it counts - its called an "air shot" and is generally met with loud laughter at the person who has attempted to hit the ball :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

If its off the tee it still counts but is usually funnier :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

sydney

tinky ****in winky
Jul 11, 2003
town full of eejits
yes its a shot , if you are feeling charitable you can say" 'ave a mulligan mate" if your not you can say"ONE"...............the louder the better.

Bad Ash

Unregistered User
Jul 18, 2003
Housewares
Thanks guys, just what I thought. Now time to celebrate my 1 shot victory on the very challenging 9 hole pitch and putt course! :drink:

Jello

He's Not A Jelly Belly
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Does anybody else say "one" when the ball falls off the tee..... Always good for a wind up.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here