Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Drinking] Pub deal breakers (what can you not tolerate in a boozer?).

atfc village

Mar 28, 2013
Lower Bourne .Farnham
Pubs with Baseball cap wearing barstaff,The Maltings in York take note,the lack off Pubs with couples who have run it for 30 years ,Having been to The Augistiner brewery in Salzburg number 1 Pub in my book had a few beers and a chat with the head barman who after his shift was kind enough to take us to a few bars that were off the tourist route.Now that was good service.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
do you still get them? havent seen that for years.

Was done at Christmas in my local until recently, then changed to being a butchers voucher and booze thrown in (which I won one year) and its probably only gone for two to three years at most. I think the bottle of red plonk from that was in the cupboard till I moved house.

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Any pub with a rottweiler in the bar.

If you use a program called Audacity, you can generate a (inaudible to humans) 22khz tone and save as an mp3. Play this on your phone and said Rottweiler will go nuts, causing the owner to have to put him away somewhere.

In theory, of course.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Pubs that sell barista coffee. You have to wait half an hour to get a pint while the person in front of you orders a crappaccino, a frappaccino and a double de-caf caf decaffinated with a mocha twist! Go to bloody Starbucks!!

This - that dreaded moment when the person before you is asked, Waht can i get you? The Reply Three large cappucinos with an ice cream float, chocolate sprinkles. Marshmallows and hazelnut syrup. I also feel for the bar staff as the queue of angry beer drinkers grows and they end up apologising by the time they get to your and you've dehydrated waiting.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
An advert in the window normally sets alarm bells ringing. WKD is a given.

I spend all day with challenging children, so a child free pub is a pretty good start.

The ideal pub is something not too popular to cater for my needs.

I don't like the Basketmakers. Too popular for it's own good. I want a seat. I don't want to wait at the bar for an age and I don't want to have to pirouette every 5 minutes to let people pass by.

Having said that, a pub like BoT or Basketmakers can be brilliant, if you are lucky enough to grab a pew.

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
I can't tolerate when historic old pubs are bought by pubco's, decked out in identikit wood flooring, then leased to trustafarian ex students who won't leave Brighton, and whom have no idea how to run a pub, and next time you go there it's being converted into flats.

Also, £4.40 for a pint of Guiness, pubs with those cuddly toy grabber machines, food menus which omit the currency symbol from the prices, giant screens showing MTV's R+B channel as the main music source.

Over this side of the world, it's any pubs with people wearing hi viz work gear after 7pm is an instant dismissal.

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
You bunch of miserable moaning *******s!!!

Imagine a pub full of you lot All complaining about each other :lolol:

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
You bunch of miserable moaning *******s!!!

Imagine a pub full of you lot All complaining about each other :lolol:

But just imagine a pub full of Aussies though,schooners,singlets,punching your mate for fun,ridiculous sized bar towels.......on second thoughts Aussie pubs do have a certain appeal :smile:

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
But just imagine a pub full of Aussies though,schooners,singlets,punching your mate for fun,ridiculous sized bar towels.......on second thoughts Aussie pubs do have a certain appeal :smile:

I am entirely jealous of this thread and my comment it's based on that. I miss the boozer and they are just not the same over here.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I am entirely jealous of this thread and my comment it's based on that. I miss the boozer and they are just not the same over here.

They are the same................ except in England you can have a pub fight and it gets nasty, in your world a pub fight ends in shaking hands and an invite to a barbie.......weirdoes!

BadFish

Huge Member
Oct 19, 2003
They are the same................ except in England you can have a pub fight and it gets nasty, in your world a pub fight ends in shaking hands and an invite to a barbie.......weirdoes!

They are far from the same these days. No atmosphere, mainly either a bookies added on or some pokies, or they are modern bar type things. Geelong is low on decent pubs but Melbourne isn't far away. :)

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
I don't really get the anti-kid thing - surely a fair proportion of you must have had kids, and at some stage wanted to take them into the pub with you? I spent years as a small child in the 80s and early 90s sat outside in the freezing cold because kids weren't allowed in pubs, and it was frankly a bloody miserable experience. I agree that they can be annoying when screaming or running round like lunatics, but I've no probably with relatively well-behaved kids having a bit of fun. We have a kid on the way in October and will certainly be taking him/her to our local (kid-friendly) pub on the rare occasions that we have a half hour of spare time!

Very very much this. The attitude to kids is one of the worst things about our fine country. If there's a ****ing dog in the pub no doubt everyone will be ruffling his head and saying 'Hello boy'. A kid appears, everyone starts tutting.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here