Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Prix de l'Arc de Triomphe

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Horrible in Paris yesterday but beautiful now, the ground at Longchamp is "very soft with holding tendencies", which could turn things into a bit of a crap shoot.

Hoping to see Great Heavens win the big one, and Hamish McGonagall last home in the Abbaye. On this ground, Sommerabend might give Gordon Lord Byron a race in the Foret too.

8ace

Banned
Jul 21, 2003
Brighton
Horrible in Paris yesterday but beautiful now, the ground at Longchamp is "very soft with holding tendencies", which could turn things into a bit of a crap shoot.

Hoping to see Great Heavens win the big one, and Hamish McGonagall last home in the Abbaye. On this ground, Sommerabend might give Gordon Lord Byron a race in the Foret too.

What have you got against Hamish ???
Has won me a few quid over the years :)

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Nice. That day is on my sports bucket list, be great to go one year to join the English invasion.

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
PMU odds will be worth keeping an eye on, nothing like as many Japanese fans here as there were for Deep Impact but still plenty around. If Orfevre is overbet on the PMU there could be some good prices about the others.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
One of my favorite races ever was watching Dancing Brave win the Arc in 1986.....still makes the hairs of the back of my neck stand up whenever I watch it. Stunning.

Vegas Seagull

Jul 10, 2009
One of my favorite races ever was watching Dancing Brave win the Arc in 1986.....still makes the hairs of the back of my neck stand up whenever I watch it. Stunning.

Saw it on TV only, legendary win & justified his place in history as of the true greats. Was at sandown to see him win the Eclipse & at Epsom for the Derby loss, I'll never forget the roar from tens of thousands as he came through the field, the whole grandstand was on him that day, unforgettable

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003

I was there too. Same card as Lochsong if memory serves. Few places lovelier to be than Longchamps in the Autumn sunshine IMHO.

Still can't believe Dancing Brave didn't win the Derby. Worst case of pilot error in recorded racecourse history shirley.

Still get a damn fine glossy brochure through from Haywards Heath based Horseracing Abroad every year. though I last booked with them about twenty years ago. They know what they're doing though, cos I'm ALWAYS tempted...

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
My old man used to do a bit of work for Guy Harwood, building, painting, that sort of thing. He told dad that Dancing Brave would win the Arc so we went over to support, it was a good decision. We later bought a horse off of his daughter which won us five races. I've got a lot of time for the Harwoods/Perretts.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I was at the Arc (different year to Dancing Brave I think, maybe the year after) when Yaki Taki (sp.?) the Japan champion jockey rode one boxed-in stinker after another. After about three of those on the trot he finally managed to win a race for Sir Michael Stoute - who prostrated himself and did a full-on :bowdown: before YT.
About a minute later there was a ding-dong, stewards inquiry, and YT lost the race :lolol:

Mtoto

Sep 28, 2003
Take's famous Arc debacle was on White Muzzle in 1994. Finished like a rocket into sixth after being held up so far off the pace that he effectively gave everything else a 10-length head start.

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
What channel is it on folks ?

Ok found it.... Chan 432

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here