[News] Post Office Scandal -

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
According to the Sunday Times, Fujitsu UK have got £200 million set aside for compensation payments. On the basis that at least 2,000 subpostmasters were impacted and over 700 were criminally convicted this seems low. I would have thought they would need at least twice that amount. Maybe they're expecting the taxpayer to chip in?

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
According to the Sunday Times, Fujitsu UK have got £200 million set aside for compensation payments. On the basis that at least 2,000 subpostmasters were impacted and over 700 were criminally convicted this seems low. I would have thought they would need at least twice that amount. Maybe they're expecting the taxpayer to chip in?

Add the Post Office money. Will that effectively come from us?

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
I think either my language was wrong or you misinterpreted what I said.

The point I was trying to make is this behaviour becomes "normalised", my personal shock was the behaviour and evidence of the investigators.

What did their union know ?

I don't think it should be accepted as ok, I was trying to make the point that those who think that privatisation is the root of all evil need to accept that the grass isn't always greener on the other side. Publicly owned entities can and do act appalling (and illegally too). That's what those you advocate (for instance) the renationalisation of the water industry and the railways need to accept.

One of the clear issues with Post Office is the chain of command. Publicly owned, but independent enough to run rings those nominally in charge - the politicians.

Alan Bates thinks the Post Office should be broken up and sold off and I agree with him. If we didn't know what we know now, there would be much gnashing of teeth from many (including myself) about another bit of the family silver being chipped off so some fat shareholders can reduce services to make a fat profit. The reality being that since the Post Office was publicly owned and potentially institutionally corrupt, it got away with things it probably wouldn't in private hands.

I also think very very strongly there should be criminal convictions albeit with the acknowledgement that with bits of the public service it's like trying to hammer a jelly to a wall since it can be always someone else's fault.
Generally speaking if misconduct is not criminal, you would expect “regulatory/professional institutions” to be able to sanction individuals or organisations, however when organisations are punished by a regulator the fine is essentially a burden for the shareholders or taxpayer.

For example, the ICO regularly sanction public sector organisations (say a NHS Trust) for data protection breaches on patient data and impose fines on that NHS Trust. That’s a fine on the taxpayer the people running the trust are unaffected.

Perhaps the in the public sector there needs a panel of taxpayers, selected like a jury to assess misconduct cases in the public sector/public officials/MPs where they can levy clawback on their pensions……….that would be a good start to getting some of the jelly to stick.

Sirnormangall

Sep 21, 2017
Generally speaking if misconduct is not criminal, you would expect “regulatory/professional institutions” to be able to sanction individuals or organisations, however when organisations are punished by a regulator the fine is essentially a burden for the shareholders or taxpayer.

For example, the ICO regularly sanction public sector organisations (say a NHS Trust) for data protection breaches on patient data and impose fines on that NHS Trust. That’s a fine on the taxpayer the people running the trust are unaffected.

Perhaps the in the public sector there needs a panel of taxpayers, selected like a jury to assess misconduct cases in the public sector/public officials/MPs where they can levy clawback on their pensions……….that would be a good start to getting some of the jelly to stick.
Or consider bringing PO within financial services regulation where there are powers to fine and ban individuals.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Interesting days ahead, I expect a humble demeanor and some amnesia. Could be cringy.

IMG_2083.png

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
The equally despicable ex top lawyer for the Post Office, Jane MacLeod, has apparently refused to give evidence at the inquiry and cannot be forced as she lives abroad. Disgraceful behaviour but I bet she'd soon be running back to the UK if her pension should stop!

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Interesting days ahead, I expect a humble demeanor and some amnesia. Could be cringy.

View attachment 182482
There was a ‘hint’ in the media yesterday that Vennels may try to throw several Government Ministers under the bus, claiming they knew more than they’ve admitted.

But I’m not so sure.

I think we’re in for three frustrating days of tearful “I care deeply about our sub-postmasters” platitudes, mixed with endless “I don’t recall” obfuscation.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
There was a ‘hint’ in the media yesterday that Vennels may try to throw several Government Ministers under the bus, claiming they knew more than they’ve admitted.

But I’m not so sure.

I think we’re in for three frustrating days of tearful “I care deeply about our sub-postmasters” platitudes, mixed with endless “I don’t recall” obfuscation.

The equally despicable ex top lawyer for the Post Office, Jane MacLeod, has apparently refused to give evidence at the inquiry and cannot be forced as she lives abroad. Disgraceful behaviour but I bet she'd soon be running back to the UK if her pension should stop!

There you go. Vennels will spend the entire week blaming the lawyer who won't be appearing.

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
New piece on BHAFC / Po Scandal link on Twitter. To avoid bringing NSC into disrepute I’ll not paste the link on here but it’s a good summation of the intricacies of morality/ethics in business.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
New piece on BHAFC / Po Scandal link on Twitter. To avoid bringing NSC into disrepute I’ll not paste the link on here but it’s a good summation of the intricacies of morality/ethics in business.
There's another thread about this on here - although I'm sure it is being carefully monitored (and rightly so). It does include a link to the (formerly) Twitter pages - probably the best thing to do. Discussion can continue on Twitter without possible ramifications for NSC.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

It'll have to be criminal charges and an extradition, at a later stage then.

Reactions: A1X

Talby

Dec 24, 2023
Sussex
There's another thread about this on here - although I'm sure it is being carefully monitored (and rightly so). It does include a link to the (formerly) Twitter pages - probably the best thing to do. Discussion can continue on Twitter without possible ramifications for NSC.

That thread now pulled.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports