Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] PBOBE to join Roberto De Zerbi for his post-Man Utd press conference

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
Amount of Anti-Barber stuff on here is ridiculous.

There will be 2 people having a press conference. One has put blood sweat and tears into BHAFC for the last 12 years and just pledged a further 6 years with us, minimally (that's 18 bloody years for anyone who needs a calculator). He's helped mastermind our total transformation as a football club and one that Tony Bloom thoroughly trusts to run his passion - BHAFC.

The other is a journeyman who spends spend an average of 2 years in his job. Yes he's been entertaining whilst he was here and loved his passion and football.

But one of them is history and the other is the future (clue: the history one isn't English) and I'm personally more interested in hearing what our future is going to be like than blowing smoke up the arse of some bloke who is jumping ship as soon as the sea gets a bit rough and will, figuratively and literally, be gone tomorrow.

Well said

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton

There will be 2 people having a press conference. One has put blood sweat and tears into BHAFC for the last 12 years and just pledged a further 6 years with us, minimally (that's 18 bloody years for anyone who needs a calculator). He's helped mastermind our total transformation as a football club and one that Tony Bloom thoroughly trusts to run his passion - BHAFC.

The other is a journeyman who spends spend an average of 2 years in his job. Yes he's been entertaining whilst he was here and loved his passion and football.

But one of them is history and the other is the future (clue: the history one isn't English) and I'm personally more interested in hearing what our future is going to be like than blowing smoke up the arse of some bloke who is jumping ship as soon as the sea gets a bit rough and will, figuratively and literally, be gone tomorrow.
Bang on. After everything Bloom and Barber have done for the club in getting us to where we are now, I find it absolutely bizarre to read the amount of criticism Bloom and espacially Barber have received from posters on here since the news was announced that their Italian man crush was going.

How any Brighton fan could side with the journeyman, ego-maniac over the best owner and CEO in football on the basis of one year of football with a squad built over a long time by their brilliant work, I will never know.

Last edited:

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Some on here seem to have very short memories when it comes to BHA CEOs. Unless of course they are hankering for a David Bellotti (cvnt) style CEO.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Strange as it may be I pay my money to watch football last season & early parts of this season wonderful stuff. RDZ tried to continue the upward progression and I believe wanted to improve the squad so it wasn’t so heavily reliant on key players like Mitoma.

Yes it would have cost money to do that but after all football at this level is an entertainment business we pay to watch football not listen to a CEO spout guff on media outlets.

Do I want to pay to watch Milner get roasted at RB or Welbeck miss yet another easy chance as he can barely score more than six goals a season? Not really Paul.
This magical data has failed to replace the last three midfield exits so is it really that reliable or do we need actual people occasionally to spot and recruit talent. Probably although they have all left for Chelsea and haven’t been replaced either.
PR spin as much as you want it’s wearing thinner each time I hear it and today will be no different.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Strange as it may be I pay my money to watch football last season & early parts of this season wonderful stuff. RDZ tried to continue the upward progression and I believe wanted to improve the squad so it wasn’t so heavily reliant on key players like Mitoma.

Yes it would have cost money to do that but after all football at this level is an entertainment business we pay to watch football not listen to a CEO spout guff on media outlets.

Do I want to pay to watch Milner get roasted at RB or Welbeck miss yet another easy chance as he can barely score more than six goals a season? Not really Paul.
This magical data has failed to replace the last three midfield exits so is it really that reliable or do we need actual people occasionally to spot and recruit talent. Probably although they have all left for Chelsea and haven’t been replaced either.
PR spin as much as you want it’s wearing thinner each time I hear it and today will be no different.
That’s a Tony Bloom / David Weir gripe though - not a Paul Barber one.

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
It's not weird at all, it'll be just to demonstrate it was an amicable parting of ways, and no hard feelings. Surely? Why are some people so determined to read more into it than that?
Exactly. And to answer any 'what next' awkward questions that aren't right for De Zerbi to answer. I'd almost argue De Zerbi insisted in it so he's not hung out to dry.

Hometownglory

Jan 12, 2014
It's weird. Has any other club done this? I've seen it when a new manager is introduced, not the other way round.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
It's weird. Has any other club done this? I've seen it when a new manager is introduced, not the other way round.
How many other clubs have ‘sacked’ a manager and let him manage one more game?

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Bayern Munich announced Tuchel was leaving the club back in February
But also we’re still trying to negotiate with him were they not.

It’s not that weird given it’s the last game of the season and naturally a break with football so no other opportunities for press conferences until we appoint someone

GloryDays

Jul 5, 2011
Leyton, E10.

I don’t think RDZ was secretly sacked. Not sure why ppl think this.

It’s clear he wanted to leave / didn’t fancy the challenge any more and the board aren’t going to cave in on his demands. No reason that to think any think other than what we’ve been told. A mutual agreement. We don’t have to pay him a termination fee. We get (from what I understand) compensation if he is employed during the summer. But he now has time to weigh up his next move without having that really annoying “work” thing he had to do before.

PB probs in attendance to field some Q’s which RDZ might “misspeak” or misinterpret. And it shows a level of unity. I don’t think anyone is holding a gun to anyone else under the table.

matt

Mar 19, 2007
Barber LOVES the limelight. He must be top of the table of media interviews by an administrator across all industries over the last 10 years. He’s clearly very good at his job despite being the epitome of a media whore.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Some vivid imaginations at work on this thread.

It would be very odd for RDZ to thank himself for two fantastic seasons and to wish himself all the best for the future.

Personally I am not going to be listening in whilst De Zerbi reads out selected comments from his leaving card but will watch his expression we he unwraps the salad bowl and tongs bought with the whip round.

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004

Isn't he one of the highest paid CEOs in the country? Not sure how much blood, sweat and tears he's poured in, odd that's the one area of spending we really do compete with the big teams

Flounce

Nov 15, 2006
I am guessing here but maybe following the CH sacking after the last home game the club has correctly decided that the manager deserves the chance to say goodbye and get a send off from the fans? That was something we should have done for CH as well and the club probably realise and regret?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here