Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
What, finishing 3rd in the top division? How is that not comparable? Goon back at you
Well mainly because the league was significantly weaker back then.
The European ban had stripped the division of it's best players, making the league a lot less competitive.
Also money wasn't the critical factor it is now.
This was before Jack Walker triggered the escalation in football finance, which has created an enormous gap between the top 6 and everyone else.

Sure it was a great season for you.
Finishing 3rd in the First division in 1991 is nothing to be sniffed at.
But finishing 6th in the toughest division in world football, is a different level.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
As I mentioned a few days ago, number 1 priority is avoiding relegation, and will always be so for a club of our size, competing against the bigger London clubs. You may well have moved on and left us behind, in which case good luck to you. Perhaps you should look to appoint new rivals if we are no longer worthy
Yes but net we have spent less than you and our wage bill is lower than yours so why are our targets different.

I guess it's just because we are a much better run team.

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there
Well mainly because the league was significantly weaker back then.
The European ban had stripped the division of it's best players, making the league a lot less competitive.
Also money wasn't the critical factor it is now.
This was before Jack Walker triggered the escalation in football finance, which has created an enormous gap between the top 6 and everyone else.

Sure it was a great season for you.
Finishing 3rd in the First division in 1991 is nothing to be sniffed at.
But finishing 6th in the toughest division in world football, is a different level.
Last season was the most competetive league too - no out and out basket cases. Even Southampton looked decent in stages.

Tottenham and Chelsea being so shite certainly helped us, but it was probably the toughest season in quality of the league since we'd been promoted. Made it all the more impressive

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
What, finishing 3rd in the top division? How is that not comparable? Goon back at you
3rd in 91 is about the equivalent of 12th in this league with the money so many teams have and budgets. Completely incomparable yes.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
3rd in 91 is about the equivalent of 12th in this league with the money so many teams have and budgets. Completely incomparable yes.
Hmmm not so sure it works like that, you can only play and win,lose or draw with what’s around at the time.

It’s like saying Goerge Best would be bang average if he played these days because of his fitness.

At all times in what ever season , you finish where you deserve to finish.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Hmmm not so sure it works like that, you can only play and win,lose or draw with what’s around at the time.

It’s like saying Goerge Best would be bang average if he played these days because of his fitness.

At all times in what ever season , you finish where you deserve to finish.
That’s true but it’s still not comparable

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
As I mentioned a few days ago, number 1 priority is avoiding relegation, and will always be so for a club of our size, competing against the bigger London clubs. You may well have moved on and left us behind, in which case good luck to you. Perhaps you should look to appoint new rivals if we are no longer worthy

Rivals are like your team, once chosen they're impossible to change. We appear to be stuck with you guys, funny as that is, but also frustrating as you don't seem able to keep up!

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Rivals are like your team, once chosen they're impossible to change. We appear to be stuck with you guys, funny as that is, but also frustrating as you don't seem able to keep up!
I will not gloat, they have had years of being in front of us, let us be humble and understanding of their plight.
They are clearly on a slippery slope, money ring fenced for a new stand, and ground improvements that have not materialised.
Their prized asset has let his contract down, so he can either leave on a free or fleece them for 200k a week, we all know he is talent, but 200k a week, staggering.
They have not been able to entice a new manager to take charge, either by lack of ambition or saving money, which does not add up if your offering 200k a week to a player in decline.
Clearly something is not right at Palace, I feel sorry and slightly apprehensive about their future in the Premier League.

Not....

Last edited:

grubbyhands

Dec 8, 2011
Godalming
There is a lot of silliness on this thread at the moment, I mean you ended the season 5 places above Palace, yet reading this you would have thought it would be 50 places.
A lot of you are setting yourselves up for a fall.
He's not wrong I fear!

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
There is a lot of silliness on this thread at the moment, I mean you ended the season 5 places above Palace, yet reading this you would have thought it would be 50 places.
Can't disagree, but after "some considerable" years behind you in terms of league places we're just enjoying our "moment" for however long it lasts. To be fair my Palace supporting family and friends have given me grief for years .... I'm just giving a little bit back, with interest

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
You keep writing that as if we shouldn't be ecstatic about a season with massive upheaval but still ended up with the Albion finishing 6th, in the Europa League, and playing some of the most exciting and transformative football seen in the EPL.

'Ooooh everyone stop being happy now, about all your footballing dreams bought to life, you might look silly tomorrow'.

Get over yourself.

Last edited:

dadams2k11

ID10T Error
Jun 24, 2011
Brighton
Yea, and if the roles were reversed?

You lot would be even more insufferable, go and read the away end on the BBSa. It is like history has been re wrote.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Football fans in 'overreacting to get temporary one over on biggest rivals' SHOCKER!

Every club's message board up and down the country will be full of stuff like this that one or the other 'side' will quote at some point in the future to prove a point or gloat about.

Having said that, I do agree with you that some of the rhetoric on here is OTT. It's the start of a brand new season where anything can happen and either club could finish anywhere. The previous season's 'achievements' of both clubs will be long forgotten. Until the next time there is something for either side to get al excited about!

Muhammed - I’m hard - Bruce Lee

You can't change fighters
NSC Patron
Jul 25, 2005
on a pig farm
Not from me.
Although the last 2 seasons have been our best ever finishes, I still look at who is coming up and think 'that should be us safe for another season'

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here