Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Palace Fans Biggest Fear

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
It could just be “ Respect” maybe the young players look at Roy whose managed all over Europe with some top clubs as someone they could learn something from, if you hear the way they speak about him they clearly like him as a coach and a person….it might not suit your agenda but there it is.
For all the stick Roy has had in recent times, including his unfortunate England experience, his career track record is top-notch and there's no way he was an ultra-defensive coach at Fulham. They were scintillating in their European campaign.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
far be it from me to suggest that Roy is the option they believe can make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but...

Hodgson joined in September 2017 after their plan to bring in Frank de Boer and revolutionise their approach failed miserably. They had spent €45.95m in the summer window. Their subsequent transfer net spend under Roy was:

2017/18 (Winter only) - spent €11.75m
2018/19 - spent €11.50m
2019/20 - made a profit of €47.78m
2020/21 - spent €2.4m

In May 2021 they retired Hodgson after he had kept them up for four years. Andros Townsend walked on a free to Everton saying that they hadn't bothered speaking about contracts to a load of Hodgson's players. In his nearly four seasons, Hodgson had been given so little to spend, that he's actually made a net profit of €22.13m.

Then they appointed their third or fourth choice to replace Roy, claimed to be starting another revolutionary approach and helped Vieira by spending first €85.62m in 21/22 & then €41.15m in 22/23. After a run of bad results against good teams they sacked him and brought back Hodgson who subsequently had a run of good results against bad teams. (The same as his Vieira had done during the first half of the season). They now claim that they've spoken to some progressive managers, but decided to stick with Roy as their long term plan. So far they've signed 28 year old Jefferson Lerma on a free and now Zaha, who they said was worth far more than the £40 million that Arsenal offered for him during Hodgson's last spell, is able to walk away for nothing on Saturday.

Who thinks Roy's getting a healthy transfer kitty to spend this summer?

No. Me neither.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
far be it from me to suggest that Roy is the option they believe can make a silk purse from a sow's ear, but...

Hodgson joined in September 2017 after their plan to bring in Frank de Boer and revolutionise their approach failed miserably. They had spent €45.95m in the summer window. Their subsequent transfer net spend under Roy was:

2017/18 (Winter only) - spent €11.75m
2018/19 - spent €11.50m
2019/20 - made a profit of €47.78m
2020/21 - spent €2.4m

In May 2021 they retired Hodgson after he had kept them up for four years. Andros Townsend walked on a free to Everton saying that they hadn't bothered speaking about contracts to a load of Hodgson's players. In his nearly four seasons, Hodgson had been given so little to spend, that he's actually made a net profit of €22.13m.

Then they appointed their third or fourth choice to replace Roy, claimed to be starting another revolutionary approach and helped Vieira by spending first €85.62m in 21/22 & then €41.15m in 22/23. After a run of bad results against good teams they sacked him and brought back Hodgson who subsequently had a run of good results against bad teams. (The same as his Vieira had done during the first half of the season). They now claim that they've spoken to some progressive managers, but decided to stick with Roy as their long term plan. So far they've signed 28 year old Jefferson Lerma on a free and now Zaha, who they said was worth far more than the £40 million that Arsenal offered for him during Hodgson's last spell, is able to walk away for nothing on Saturday.

Who thinks Roy's getting a healthy transfer kitty to spend this summer?

No. Me neither.
There's nothing worse for fans than a club in limbo, happy to stay up but no ambition of bettering that, season in, season out

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
Are Palace in a bit of a nowhere to go place at the moment. With owners that are just rich enough to keep them where they are, but not rich enough to throw the kind of money required to hire a really top manager, and buy the next level up of players to be able to make a difference. With a standard recruitment team, that doesnt have the depth and skill, (and database) to unearth cheaper but more talented potential, like a club just 40 odd miles south does so well.

An aging stadium that must cost a fortune to just prevent it falling down, let alone improve and build , for example, a new stand.

They are unlikley to be serious challengers for Europe anytime soon, appear not to have any long term planning, or even aspirations, and no plan to achieve them even if they did.

Whichever way you look at it, Palace remain an "also taking part" team, which will likley remain until there are major changes in the structure of the hierachy at Selhurst

It must be a bit galling for the true fans, to see their club stand still season after season, and anytime a bit of hope arrives (Vierra) the owners get cold feet after a poor run and go back to plan A.

Contrast that with similar size Brighton, and be thankful we have the owner and managerial structures we do

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There is one thing worse. - Being in that situation whilst waiting over a decade for the promises of stadium development to be anything more than promises.
There is another thing worse. Being second to last in the football league pyramid on the last day of the season needing a point to stay up, and with no stadium to play in the following season, with the fifth tier division refusing to allow a ground share with a club in another county if the point isn't won, meaning the club is 90 minutes away from going out of business.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
Are Palace in a bit of a nowhere to go place at the moment. With owners that are just rich enough to keep them where they are, but not rich enough to throw the kind of money required to hire a really top manager, and buy the next level up of players to be able to make a difference. With a standard recruitment team, that doesnt have the depth and skill, (and database) to unearth cheaper but more talented potential, like a club just 40 odd miles south does so well.

An aging stadium that must cost a fortune to just prevent it falling down, let alone improve and build , for example, a new stand.

They are unlikley to be serious challengers for Europe anytime soon, appear not to have any long term planning, or even aspirations, and no plan to achieve them even if they did.

Whichever way you look at it, Palace remain an "also taking part" team, which will likley remain until there are major changes in the structure of the hierachy at Selhurst

It must be a bit galling for the true fans, to see their club stand still season after season, and anytime a bit of hope arrives (Vierra) the owners get cold feet after a poor run and go back to plan A.

Contrast that with similar size Brighton, and be thankful we have the owner and managerial structures we do

I read that with a smirk.

What we must remember from your lofty position of qualification for Europe, that Palace for all their woes did finish 11th in what is IMHO the strongest league in the world above past European cup winners.

I am old enough to remember watching palace in the 3rd tier and our endless time in what is now called the championship losing 4.0 at home to Scunthorpe all but 15 years ago, being 3.0 down to Crew at half time on a wet foggy November night.

Now we must admit that for the last two seasons Brighton have ended the season above us, but then I can remember Charlton fans dancing on the terraces after sending us back to the championship, unfortunately for Charlton they thought they were so much better than Curbishly and wanted to go to the next level….I don’t think that was the level they were thinking of.

Anyway to cut a long story short as a long time palace fan ( first game 1972 ) we have never been in a more stable state, even in 1990 when we ended up 3rd in the league, there was still an air of on coming doom.

So for me, my team have never had it so good.

And yes I am glad Roy is staying.

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
There is another thing worse. Being second to last in the football league pyramid on the last day of the season needing a point to stay up, and with no stadium to play in the following season, with the fifth tier division refusing to allow a ground share with a club in another county if the point isn't won, meaning the club is 90 minutes away from going out of business.
Yes, there is that too.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
I read that with a smirk.

What we must remember from your lofty position of qualification for Europe, that Palace for all their woes did finish 11th in what is IMHO the strongest league in the world above past European cup winners.

I am old enough to remember watching palace in the 3rd tier and our endless time in what is now called the championship losing 4.0 at home to Scunthorpe all but 15 years ago, being 3.0 down to Crew at half time on a wet foggy November night.

Now we must admit that for the last two seasons Brighton have ended the season above us, but then I can remember Charlton fans dancing on the terraces after sending us back to the championship, unfortunately for Charlton they thought they were so much better than Curbishly and wanted to go to the next level….I don’t think that was the level they were thinking of.

Anyway to cut a long story short as a long time palace fan ( first game 1972 ) we have never been in a more stable state, even in 1990 when we ended up 3rd in the league, there was still an air of on coming doom.

So for me, my team have never had it so good.

And yes I am glad Roy is staying.
I agree with your take on this, although I would challenge Roy staying as a good thing. If it was we need Roy as we recruit "X" to be mentored and this is the plan, it may be different. But, if I were a Palace fan, I'd be wanting to see a plan, a strategy, an ambition, are you really happy that the plan seems to be staying in the EPL?

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
I agree with your take on this, although I would challenge Roy staying as a good thing. If it was we need Roy as we recruit "X" to be mentored and this is the plan, it may be different. But, if I were a Palace fan, I'd be wanting to see a plan, a strategy, an ambition, are you really happy that the plan seems to be staying in the EPL?

And that's the crux of it.
For all but 7 of the Premier league clubs the AIM is to stay in the division, with a few expecting better.
Palace's PLAN is to stay in the division. They need the money to pay the wages of the players they already have to keep them in the division.

Their recruitment has been pretty good, but the number of players they need to replace, always seems to be in the 3-4 per season, just to avoid relegation. Allowing contracts to run down, rather than planning their squad.

There isn't ever any money for transfers.
Any Investment in the ground won't see profit quickly enough, to add to the kitty.
The investment into the academy, is a good step, but even the most successful academies, produce less than 1 proven first teamer per season.

To make any progress in the league they need to be able to sell their best players and reinvest.
Historically, Beaky hasn't been prepared to take that risk, because the only plan is STAY IN THE LEAGUE.

loz

Apr 27, 2009
W.Sussex
As I have said before, top 10 is the plan with the occasional cup run, Palace have not got the budget for anything more, that’s just reality.

You have got to think most seasons there will be. Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, man united, Chelsea, spurs and now Newcastle in the top 10, so most seasons there will be 3 places for the other 13 clubs to fight for.

I say most seasons as I can’t believe as much as I want to the spurs and Chelsea will be so shithouse.

Basically top 10 is the plan for most teams and if achieved must be thought of as being “ best of the rest”

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
As I have said before, top 10 is the plan with the occasional cup run, Palace have not got the budget for anything more, that’s just reality.

You have got to think most seasons there will be. Man City, Arsenal, Liverpool, man united, Chelsea, spurs and now Newcastle in the top 10, so most seasons there will be 3 places for the other 13 clubs to fight for.

I say most seasons as I can’t believe as much as I want to the spurs and Chelsea will be so shithouse.

Basically top 10 is the plan for most teams and if achieved must be thought of as being “ best of the rest”
Top 10 is not a plan, It's the aim.

There is no plan.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

I see that, but without some advancement plan and strategic investment it will, inevitably, lead to relegation, won't it?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I've been torn about them reappointing Uncle Roy. I think, on balance, it's a good thing (for us). I mean, they finished his previous spell playing turgid football with an old squad, focusing on keeping it tight at the back and counter attacking. I accept that he did a great job when he came back after Vieira was sacked, and indeed, they'd started to play better football by that point. But I can't help wondering if that was just their players breathing a massive sigh of relief that Vieira and his crap tactical planning had left, a kind of new manager bounce, if you will.

If he really was the future and the man their fans thought would lead them into next season with the same spring in their step that they finished last season, then surely they'd be a lot happier about him signing a new deal? All I see is people either grudgingly accepting it, or bemoaning their lack of ambition. So hopefully it's a good move (from our perspective, not theirs). Silky, talented players are not going to look at Palace and think "Oooh, I want to sign for Roy Hodgson", are they? Therefore it's likely to hamper their transfer aims, if they have any money to spend.

Also, Zaha is still pissing them about and will continue to do so until the last week of pre-season when he signs a new deal, the shiny new main stand does not appear to be quite finished yet, and Olise has a grade 3 hamstring tear which is likely to rule him out until September.

Smile, everyone!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here